“STUNNING LOCATION + EXCEPTIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Review of Middle Aston House

Middle Aston House
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 3 July 2017

We booked a 1 night stay B & B at Middle Aston House as a 50th Wedding Anniversary present for my Sister & Brother-in-law. On reading the TA reviews, I was a little sceptical about the rooms we may have allocated to us on arrival, and as it was a special occasion, I upgraded the 2 rooms for a small extra amount - Later in the week, a day before our arrival, I received a phone call from Joanne at Middle Aston to say there was a 'problem' with my upgrading and the rooms I'd upgraded to had been double booked! I was so disappointed, but to Joanne's credit she kept me fully informed, sorted the problem quickly and to my complete satisfaction.

On arrival, Middle Aston House is equally as impressive as I imagined. The House itself is fabulous and the grounds are stunning. Reception is light, airy and welcoming. We checked in and the receptionist showed us to our rooms which were in Orchard Cottage. The rooms in Orchard Cottage are beautiful, well decorated and quite large. The beds are large with crisp white sheets & very comfortable. The interior furnishings are bright, clean & fresh. Our 2 rooms, 60 & 61, were spotlessly clean with lovely fluffy towels in the on-suite.

In the evening we decided to eat at the House and had a bar meal - The best burgers ever were served, so much so, we asked to speak to the Chef to compliment him on these. Breakfast was also superb, good assortment of fresh hot buffet style food,bacon eggs etc, cereals, fruit, juices, etc. tea & coffee.

The grounds are lovely. We walked around the lake on a beautiful sunny Sunday morning. All in all we had a fantastic weekend, All the staff we had dealings with were most obliging, friendly & nothing was too much trouble & a credit to Middle Aston House - thank you & a special Thank You to Joanne who dealt with sorting out the 'double booking' in an efficient customer service manner.

Finally, If after reviewing previous negative comments on here you are unsure whether to book or not, I would have no hesitation in recommending this venue to family & friends and I hope to be able to return one day.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and book a room in Orchard Cottage if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2017

We were a bit deceived by the pictures online - we thought it was a fairly nice hotel due to its exterior and the website. When we arrived, we found out that the "double" rooms we had booked were not really King-size beds. One was a queen and one was a full-size (smaller than a Queen and definitely too small for my 2 6-foot tall sons to share). One of my sons ended up sleeping on the floor. Rooms were very small and were very dated - more like a youth hostel or college dorm room. It was a bit comical because when we checked in, the lady acted like our room was an "upgrade". We just had to laugh when we saw the room - upgrade from what? No A/C (of course), but no fan provided either. Our room was on the 3rd floor, which made carrying our 50-lb. suitcases up and down great exercise. No washcloths. Good WiFi and good, hot shower (not to be taken for granted when traveling around the UK).
Breakfast was included, but was very basic. All in all, this is a place to crash, but definitely no frills and extremely basic. Think family camp or dorm room, not hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2017

The grounds are gorgeous with a large pond full of fish and fowl and a well cut lawn in front with plenty of mature trees. The rooms though have thin walls (could hear neighbours in their bathroom) and low cost looking furnishings. My shower also surged and ebbed.

The staff were not very friendly, or at least a bit shy until you got them engaged. Breakfast quality not too high but then the room cost per night was not 4-star expectations. Overall you could do worse for an overnighter, especially on budget minded business, but I wouldn't want to stay there longer than that.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2017

When we arrived, we had to double check our booking because we couldn't believe that where we had booked could be so beautiful.

The setting of this hotel was landscaped by William Kent who was alive at the same time as Capability Brown - even though his work was just as good, Brown overshadowed him at the time. However, this does not mean that Kent's vision cannot be appreciated because the lake, choice of trees and general atmosphere of the venue is stunning.

Having said this, when we arrived the receptionists seemed to be in a bit of a panicked state. It appeared that there had been a mix up with the rooms and someone had arrived and had not been happy. Despite this, we had no trouble checking in and our room was just what we needed for a short stay: no frills, but fine for what we needed (I would advise getting mugs for the rooms rather than small cups though).

We spent time wandering round the grounds, watching the Canada Geese and even a bird of prey being chased away by crows, as the sun set. (I'd recommend walking to The Red Lion for a pizza - delicious)

Our room was in one of the out building - purpose built for short stays/ conferences. Breakfast was okay but the hot food was unappealing; we didn't eat it because it looked limp and as if it had been there for a while. Cereals are fine though and there is fruit and creamy yogurts. I would suggest providing guests with a pot for tea rather than having to make a small cup each time.

Upon checking out, there also seemed to be a a concern. The people in front of us had paid online for their room, but were being made to pay for it again. They complained about this but had to show their email confirmation to prove it. However, yet again, we had no problem checking out and it was quick and easy.

I think this is a venue with a lot of potential. The venue is certainly a beautiful building and the landscape relaxing. However, it appeared that maybe there is a lack of organisation? There wasn't a wedding at this venue when we stayed (May Bank Holiday) which we thought was unusual - maybe because of how they run the venue? Having said this, we would definitely return and stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a outhouse building purpose built for short stays. I think anywhere would be quiet as t...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2017

This is a Conference facility not a 5-star hotel but nonetheless we enjoyed our stay there. The surroundings are stunning, lovely views, characterful house and extremely quiet. Very pleasant. It is an old estate I believe.

We spent a Saturday night there and though it has some 75 rooms I'd guess less than a dozen were occupied - so it did seem a bit deserted and as a result there were few staff around but those that were there were helpful and welcoming.

Rooms were functional rather than plush - but clean and comfortable.

Guessing it could often be fairly empty outside of when conferences are being held, it would be absolutely perfect if a group of people wanted to plan a get-together - old reunions etc.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2017

Weekend stay for two adults. The location is not the easiest to find but rewards the effort.
Within easy reach of Bicester Village (premium Outlet Shopping) and Blenheim Palace each a fifteen minute drive, Oxford just a little further.
I attended corporate development courses sessions here a number of years ago. I was very impressed then, and had not realised that it also handles regular tourist business.

Getting there. I would say a car is essential, although Heyford rail station, a couple of mile taxi ride away, lists services to Oxford, London an Birmingham. There is also a canal stop!
Check in was easy and friendly. Free parking. Accommodation is adjacent to the main house and split between two apartment buildings and a large cottage which is split into four units. All clad in lovely Cotswold stone. I stayed in the former previously and from memory these rooms are not large but perfectly adequate. We had the cottage this time and our room was family sized. Spotless, large bathroom with quality complimentary toiletries, fluffiest towels. Comfy bed, kettle with plenty of complimentary tea/coffee. Flat screen TV. And Free Wi-Fi .Water dispensers in the corridors so no need to buy bottled water.
Breakfast, included in the very reasonable rate, was cooked to order and a highlight.

The main house, an historic building, is a delight, and the grounds including a lake are a pleasure to wander around.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful, and this made for a perfect leisure stay.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms probably more suited for families, but no bad choices.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tripeagle
Reviewed 3 December 2016

When we arrived, the lad at reception was off hand & didn't show us to our room; the rooms were not in the lovely old house, instead they were in a seapare new fab; our room was fine/functional, a tad small but the en suite was clan and shower excellent; our bed was firm and the room was warm and quiet; breakfast was excellent

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple