“what a shame”

De Vere Oxford Thames
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 13 October 2017

we stayed in the devere hotel oxford for two nights - although the hotel is beautiful the food leaves a lot to be desired!! On ordering room service I was charged £3.50 for a bowl of chips and £5!!! delivery charge!!!! At the evening meal the soup was lukewarm so I had to send it back - something I have NEVER EVER done before - the meals were so small and the vegetables were £4 on top not including potatoes - I also had to send the lamb back as it was completely red and I was unable to cut it - I like it pink but this was ridiculous - I have been waiting for an email asking me to comment but none has arrived - another first!!

Room Tip: our friends were on the ground floor - both nights they were disturbed by people outside the room ha...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Dear tweeny76,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit. Whilst I am obviously delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay, I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations and that you felt let down by the food and Room Service experience. We have consistently been awarded an AA Rosette for our food quality, and do get many great comments regarding the food. However, as a team, we take on board your constructive feedback and we will all endeavour to perfect our levels of service, hospitality and quality and review all we do, to ensure our guests have wonderful experiences. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

De Vere Oxford hotel and restaurant - excellent room with very comfortable room

The taster menu was almost excellent with beef salad- hoi sin duck - mackerel and the lamb was sublime. The Beef was dry and overdone - but I'm confident that will be corrected on a well deserved return

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear Steve F,
Thanks for your review of De Vere Oxford Thames, following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your dining experience, but am sorry that the beef was dry and overdone. I have spoken with the Kitchen team and passed on your feedback. They are sorry that it did not meet your expectations, but please be assured that this will be rectified for future stays.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Just an overnight for a friend's surprise lunch but a terrific hotel with exceptionally friendly staff. Everything looked new and maybe it was. The reception area, bar and lounge are simply stunning - converted from a Cotswold barn. Breakfast was first rate and the staff accommodating over non menu items. We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Dear NIGEL C,
Thank you writing about your experiences at De Vere Oxford Thames. I was pleased to read that you had totally enjoyed your experience here, and delighted that you loved the building, service and the food - the key ingredients of success for us!
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

When we arrived they were in the middle of a wedding so to get a drink you had to have room service no where to sit in bar.

In evening children running around from weeding party and in lounge people with plastic cups and wine and crisps from Tesco and they were guests of hotel.

Food in restaurant average I sent my lamb back and it come back it was burnt to a crisp but I eat it my husband was finished. Breakfast was like a school dinning room.

Not worth the money in any way shape or form.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear lswalk,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel following your stay.
I am extremely sorry that you found certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. As a busy and diverse business, we always aim to cater for all of our guests' needs, and as such, we do reserve areas specifically for hotel residents to sit, but I am sorry that you found it busy at that specific time. Breakfast is usually served in our light and airy Conservatory, and is generally well received, in terms of its ambience and our wide and varied food offering, and I am sorry to hear it didn't exceed your expectations. I do hope that you will consider returning so that we can deliver a better experience for you. Kind regards, Jonathan Oldroyd

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Lovely room, very clean as was the bedding and bathroom. Bed very comfortable. Hotel in beautiful setting. However, little niggles stopped me adding the extra star. Our booking for three rooms for two nights included complimentary drinks in each room but this was only supplied in one room It took two requests to get this remedied arriving only for the second night. We had also booked a table for 7pm in the restaurant for the first night but this had not been noted and could not be accommodated, meaning we had to take a later table. All being elderly we do not like to eat late. When we entered the dining room it was half empty, so why we could not eat earlier we do not know.

Room Tip: Garden rooms have outside terraces. Choose one overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank hilarywebster
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Dear hilarywebster,
Thank you for posting your review of De Vere Oxford Thames, following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that your overall stay was enjoyable, however, please accept my sincerest apologies that certain aspects of your stay let it down. Please be assured that your comments have been noted and will be discussed with the relevant team members, to ensure that we get our hospitality and service consistently right. We hope you will visit again.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Beautiful buildings but fit -out is dated in a bad way. Everything is very clean - our room was big but it really is like something from a few decades ago.

Pub food in the bar was awful. Steak and ale pie certainly tasted and looked like it had come in a packet, spicy bean burger was battered and appeared deep fried.

Staff weren't great - not friendly at all although we did get an ice-cream comped.(Ice cream looked pretty, quality was, unfortunately, also from the Iceland freezer.

breakfast staff were much friendlier - views to the Thames ver pretty but a mad house by lunch time (wedding party?)

So great main building, ersatz the rest of it. It's a few miles out of Oxford too - and Oxford in it's wisdom doesn't like ride share companies so there are two taxi companies- at least one of which will only take cash...

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Mike S,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay, for which I offer my sincerest apologies. I can assure you that the Food and beverage team will review your comments, and the appropriate action will be taken, but may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring these matters to our attention, for it is only through constructive comments and observations such as those you have made, that we are able to continually monitor, maintain and improve our standards of guest care, and put right what is wrong.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

I failed to review this hotel after our first visit 10 months ago but enjoyed it so much that a return stay beckoned. The hotel is attractive with excellent use made of the original, Cotswold stone buildings but basically it is a modern hotel with all the features and facilities that one would expect. The real star though is the restaurant. The food is excellent. Interesting food combinations, well-presented, plenty of flavour. Although no one course was large at the end of our meal we were comfortably full and very satisfied. Breakfast is very straightforward and is exactly what would expect from any reputable hotel. Another enjoyable stay

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear 288Eurotravels,
Thanks for your super review of De Vere Oxford Thames, following your return visit. I am delighted that you had another great stay with us and thanks so much for the recommendation. Look forward to your next stay.