“OK if there's nothing else”
Review of The Holt Hotel

The Holt Hotel
Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Poor service... starting as soon as we arrived and walked through the door we were presented with an invoice and told it was cash on arrival. I said I'll see the room first, which I did, and it looked OK so agreed.
Barman was not native English speaker and not charming in the least. Not helpful, and rarely even present. Kitchen staff ditto really, although they were easier to find.
The night porter was a sterling bloke though and made up for the other's shortfalls to some degree.
The door lock was tired, the loo paper was the thinnest imaginable...
The coffee at breakfast was terrible on day one, and we weren't even offered any on day two, which was no real hardship once you knew what you were missing. Otherwise I thought the breakfast was OK, but the GF (who's veggie) certainly did not.
It's got potential, but it really really needs management overhaul.
On the plus side, apart from the loo roll, the bathroom was excellent, and the room was quiet and spacious. And the car parking is plentiful and spacious.
Rob

Room Tip: Be prepared for a long bag carry
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob G
There are newer reviews for The Holt Hotel

Reviewed 5 August 2017

We booked here for one night mid-way through a tour of the area. Plenty of free parking at the front of the hotel, and the check in was fine, although they did not have the ground floor room we had asked for.
Our room was nice enough, with twin beds as requested. The decor was a little tired but everything was clean, and we had a fairly good nights sleep.
When I booked I has asked for vegetarian breakfasts, but when we got to the dining room and asked a waitress for the veggie option, she told us they did not cater for vegetarians - the only food that was available for breakfast was what was on the buffet. I was quite annoyed, as this had been one reason for the advance booking of this hotel. I carried on and had cereal and toast then another waiter came over and asked if all was okay, I replied that yes it was, but that I was annoyed at the lack of veggie option. He apologised and dissapeared. We were amazed when he re-appeared several minutes later and put down (un-asked) an enormous plate of mixed salad, complete with dressing, and a few hot mushrooms!!!! Not quite the Linda Mac sausage I had hoped for when I originally asked!! I suspect that the word 'vegetarian' is open to interpretation here, as English did not appear to be the first language of anyone other than the very competant guy on reception when we checked in.
Basic staff training needs to improve here, their lack of knowledge and understanding badly let down what could be an excellent hotel, and I am afraid salad for breakfast was just a step too far!! For this reason, The Holt only gets an average 3* from me, which is a shame, had the veggie breakfast appeared it would certainly have rated much higher.

Room Tip: Avoid if you are a veggie!!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017

This is a wonderful historic building of character and I have stayed here before and enjoyed it.
This time my experience was awful. The clientele has changed to a "trucking" type of person and workmen who don't appear to change their clothing for the end of the day. I am no snob but there is now a pool table in the restaurant area which attracts scruffy youths who use foul language. Other people in the bar/restaurant loudly use bad language also, it's very downmarket now.I thought that the barman had a bad attitude but he is perhaps justified. The reception area is fine and the staff courteous and helpful but as soon as one leaves the reception area it is a different matter!
My room was a single - the bed was 2'6" wide - useless for me and most uncomfortable. The room was small and the bathroom scruffy. I am sorry that I paid in advance or I would have immediately left.
I will not return and I would recommend that anyone who is looking for a quiet hotel or restaurant with a modicum of class avoids it also.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Brian F
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Lovely place not a lot nearby but was a good base for us to go to the shopping village. Nice bar to have a drink and like the facts they have dotted about the hotel lovely breakfast with beautiful view of the garden.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tish B
HoltHotel1, Manager at The Holt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Dear Tish
Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2017

not exactly what we expected checked in couldn't get key out of our room door it was broke being ignored at the bar 5 people waiting 3 behind the bar one serving the other 2 just standing there not told they were having refurbishments done breakfast a total disaster had to keep asking for cups and cutlery small plates for breakfast so your food kept falling of the plate staff running around like headless chickens as no organisation what so ever and to top it of the bed I slept in when I pulled the covers back a massive woodlice in the bed plenty of cobwebs as well would never stay here again emailed them no reply back

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie M

Dear Debbie,
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion. Although in your review you have said we did not reply to your email, we have done so which you have acknowledged. We carried out a full investigation after the comments you left, and there were no woodlice in the bed. We do apologise that the service at breakfast was not up to standard, this has been discussed within the team and will not happen again.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

We stupidly drove down a day earlier than planned without booking a hotel room, arriving in the area at about 1AM.

Not only was it great news than you had a room but also the member of staff on reception was pleasant and welcoming even thought we were phoning in the middle of the night. He got us booked in and to our room in no time and we slept really well!

Next time we come to the Grand Prix we'll book with here rather than the travelodge!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard J

Dear Richard, we are really glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back next year if not before!

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Our room was substantial and comfy and the broken light bulb was quickly and efficiently replaced. The staff on the front desk were approachable and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was pleasant although certain buffet options could have been replenished a little quicker ( the beans had congealed on the hotplate a little unpleasantly ), but overall the meal set me up for the day. A little awkwardness around how late the bar was to stay open was resolved with our needs in mind which I felt was well handled. I'd like to say I found Bruno generally very helpful. Overall a pleasant stay and one which will prompt me to recommend you to friends and family. Thank you!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Willsh84

Thank you for your review of the hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend the hotel to friends and family. We are constantly improving our services and facilities and hope to welcome you back again soon.