“Good hotel ideal for events at Blenheim palace, Oxford or Bicester”
Review of The Holt Hotel

The Holt Hotel
Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Good stay . Chosen as hotel allows dogs. Location ideal - visiting countryfile live. Evening dinner good value and decent bar meal on second night. Breakfast could be improved. Had to ask for tea coffee Sunday morning. No milk jug provided. Toaster inadequate for amount if people, took long time to cook needed to ho through twice, not positioned in an accessible area as stuck in a corner. Breakfast Monday morning. Self serve coffee not as good as in pot. No yoghurt - had no ask, no butter/flora had to ask. Plenty of staff but less urgency on ensuring all topped up, again issues with toaster as above. Buy 3 or 4 good quality toasters and site on separate table. Seen this work very well at hotel recently. Would stay again if in area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Holt Hotel

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The hotel is at best OK....it is very convenient located for Blenheim Palace and on this occasion Countryfile Live and overall it is tolerable BUT...... the service is either enthusiastic but a shambles or non existent......the rooms are cramped and noisy ...... and we did have a woodlouse....only the one in the bathroom ( I mention this as I noted another reviewer had the same problem ). The food is low quality ' pub grub ' reasonably priced but not very good. From the outside the hotel looks good ...... nice building ..... attractive highwayman sign..... but inside there is no ambience...... the restaurant is floodlit ....... and the bar has the feel of a truck stop...... only you cannot get easily served.
Stay somewhere else ..we will not revisit

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank par14
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Staff were welcoming and the room was clean and cosy. Breakfast was a little chaotic but when I finally found someone to ask the young lady was very helpful and brought me a fork, coffee and gluten free bread...happy customer! Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Elaine W
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Great location, good first impressions based on exterior.

But:-

On entering dark a gloomy interior (albeit with a new carpet), the reception "welcome" alerted me to the type of customer experience ahead (had I not pre paid I probably would have left).

The room was very tired and shabby (but they were full!)

Bar drinks, Dinner and Breakfast, all an unmitigated disaster: really slow service, chronically understaffed, untrained pleasant well meaning people just couldn't cope, poor Julie the acting manger did her best, I felt really sorry for her.

The food was ok when it finally arrived from Chef, dinner in particular was a joke, the theme continued at breakfast, no coffee, spoons, slow buffet replenishment etc.....

I paid £200 for my stay, worth rather less!

On a positive note: some refurbishment of the restaurant has taken place, MUCH more investment needed.

What is really required in a decent GM and about 2 x the current staffing.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank MikeEdw
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Poor service... starting as soon as we arrived and walked through the door we were presented with an invoice and told it was cash on arrival. I said I'll see the room first, which I did, and it looked OK so agreed.
Barman was not native English speaker and not charming in the least. Not helpful, and rarely even present. Kitchen staff ditto really, although they were easier to find.
The night porter was a sterling bloke though and made up for the other's shortfalls to some degree.
The door lock was tired, the loo paper was the thinnest imaginable...
The coffee at breakfast was terrible on day one, and we weren't even offered any on day two, which was no real hardship once you knew what you were missing. Otherwise I thought the breakfast was OK, but the GF (who's veggie) certainly did not.
It's got potential, but it really really needs management overhaul.
On the plus side, apart from the loo roll, the bathroom was excellent, and the room was quiet and spacious. And the car parking is plentiful and spacious.
Rob

Room Tip: Be prepared for a long bag carry
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob G
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We booked here for one night mid-way through a tour of the area. Plenty of free parking at the front of the hotel, and the check in was fine, although they did not have the ground floor room we had asked for.
Our room was nice enough, with twin beds as requested. The decor was a little tired but everything was clean, and we had a fairly good nights sleep.
When I booked I has asked for vegetarian breakfasts, but when we got to the dining room and asked a waitress for the veggie option, she told us they did not cater for vegetarians - the only food that was available for breakfast was what was on the buffet. I was quite annoyed, as this had been one reason for the advance booking of this hotel. I carried on and had cereal and toast then another waiter came over and asked if all was okay, I replied that yes it was, but that I was annoyed at the lack of veggie option. He apologised and dissapeared. We were amazed when he re-appeared several minutes later and put down (un-asked) an enormous plate of mixed salad, complete with dressing, and a few hot mushrooms!!!! Not quite the Linda Mac sausage I had hoped for when I originally asked!! I suspect that the word 'vegetarian' is open to interpretation here, as English did not appear to be the first language of anyone other than the very competant guy on reception when we checked in.
Basic staff training needs to improve here, their lack of knowledge and understanding badly let down what could be an excellent hotel, and I am afraid salad for breakfast was just a step too far!! For this reason, The Holt only gets an average 3* from me, which is a shame, had the veggie breakfast appeared it would certainly have rated much higher.

Room Tip: Avoid if you are a veggie!!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bayleywillow
Reviewed 2 August 2017

This is a wonderful historic building of character and I have stayed here before and enjoyed it.
This time my experience was awful. The clientele has changed to a "trucking" type of person and workmen who don't appear to change their clothing for the end of the day. I am no snob but there is now a pool table in the restaurant area which attracts scruffy youths who use foul language. Other people in the bar/restaurant loudly use bad language also, it's very downmarket now.I thought that the barman had a bad attitude but he is perhaps justified. The reception area is fine and the staff courteous and helpful but as soon as one leaves the reception area it is a different matter!
My room was a single - the bed was 2'6" wide - useless for me and most uncomfortable. The room was small and the bathroom scruffy. I am sorry that I paid in advance or I would have immediately left.
I will not return and I would recommend that anyone who is looking for a quiet hotel or restaurant with a modicum of class avoids it also.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo