3,356 results
All reviews converted prison cell rooms roll top bath unique hotel cell block exercise yard original cells superior cell sunday stopover main prison pizza express porridge birthday treat continental breakfast car parking city centre full english
Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

We chose this hotel and location for a weekend away on my partners birthday, the castle was a beautiful view from the outside and surround with romantic setting inside but for the majority of our experience fake walls/decoration to try and mimic the rest of the castle, upon arrival we pulled up and were unsure where to park due to rows of cars outside being shared between the hotel and 3 restaurants, the staff at reception were welcoming but appeared to be stressed and nervous, the room booked was a standard double but as requested had been upgraded to a Duplex suite through the upgrade program, the staff at reception were unsure if I would be able to park my car at the hotel and would need to be parked elsewhere off site at a nearby multi story car park however a space was found and charged £30 for the night this may be my own fault for not looking hard enough as this was a charge that was not shown anywhere and unexpected, the room had a very comfortable bed however was very disappointed with the condition of the shower and condition of plug sockets, the shower was leaking and covered in limescale and where possible to find a plug socket the extension cables plugged in were loose, damaged and unsafe the most disappointing aspect of the stay for me was the room location, charging from £400 per night on there own the view was pleasant but not what is advertised online and nothing like what is actually available or possible, we believed we would have nice views of the castle but instead we felt imposed on by people walking around to view the castle on top of the mound outside the rooms, the worst part of our stay had to be the noise, the Duplex suites are positioned outside of the castle in a new build extension directly on top of a Slug and Lettuce bar that had music thumping and loud until 2am closing time then loud shouting from people leaving the bar, after finally getting to sleep and waking up in the morning breakfast was the least welcoming as staff were running around busy with loud shouting the whole way through from the kitchen easily heard throughout the eating area.

I cannot ever see myself staying at the Malmaison Oxford again and I would not recommend staying there either, the location of the hotel is good with lots around to see and do but with many hotels in the same area it is not hard to get the same location, if you wish to see the castle save disappointment and stay elsewhere for half the price and what I imagine to be twice the experience.

This room was booked through Hotels.com

1  Thank Theo S
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2018

Dear Theo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review following on from your stay.

Naturally we are disappointed that your experience with us did not live up to expectations, and we would like to apologise for the issues which occurred during your stay. I have shared your feedback with our team and we will be working to improve upon the points which you have raised.

Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

We spent two nights at Oxfords Malmaison, it was a hotel that we've wanted to stay at for some time.
The building is amazing really fantastic.

Check in was quick and no issues the reception staff were very friendly and professional. All the staff we come across were very good nothing was too much trouble.

We was staying in a standard double room which I believe was classed as C Wing. The room was a little smaller than we expected however was comfortable. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was good and the toiletries were very good quality.

In places the hotel is showing a bit of wear and tear but nothing that would affect your stay. It is a fantastic building so atmospheric loved staying there and will return later in the year.

The hotels location is so convenient as well with the new Westgate Centre a very short walk away. We would thoroughly recommend the Malmaison.

One consideration if you are driving they only have a few parking spaces due to the location. We knew this so parked at Seacourt Park & Ride and got the bus into the city centre which was quick and convenient.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2018

Dear CarterN76,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review.

It is great to hear that you loved your stay with us, and that you found the room to be comfortable. In particular it is great to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, and I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the team.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2018

This hotel is well sited, being within easy walking distance of the centre of Oxford. The building is fascinating and is a very good conversion of the former prison. The rooms are comfortable, with excellent beds, and all you would expect from a 4 star hotel. Reception was friendly and efficient, although I would have preferred the Website to have mentioned that the pre-booked car park involved a Porter service to park it as I tend to leave things in my car to get throughout my stay. Not a major issue as I just had to add a few more things to my bag. Breakfast was superb with a good range for the continental buffet and gorgeous Eggs Benedict for the cooked version. Service was always good, friendly and all you should expect. All-in-all, a very pleasant 2 days and nights.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear MichCL,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the rooms to be comfortable. We are pleased that you found the service to be friendly and efficient, and it is also good to hear that you enjoyed breakfast with us too!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

Fantastic stay in the cell clean and quiet absolutely spot clean you we're even invited to steal the soap and shampoo mini bar was great the reception staff we're great and parking was no fuss will be going back again

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2018

Dear Am M,

Thank you for leaving a review.

It is great to see that you loved your stay with us in one of the cells! I will pass on your kind words to our Reception Team, and to our Car Porters too.

We hope you enjoy the toiletries at home!

Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

This design hotel in an old prison, located in the centre of Oxford, has been a slightly awkward experience. While staff is friendly, the overall approach is very commercial (with upselling practices starting with emails about subscribing for chances for upgrades and continuing at check-in with various breakfast options - “for only 5p more you get a standard cocktail in the evening” etc), which borders on the vulgar. There were also some issues with the shower, which was stuck at a way too high temperature, and while the hotel did its best to fix it and even gave a partial refund eventually, we had the impression that this actually is a structural problem as the showers even have an especially made warning sign about the heat of the water.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Dear Stanm0re,

Thank you very much for your review and for providing feedback.

Firstly I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly, and that we were able to help try to resolve the issue with the shower.

We do offer a wide variety of options for our guests to add on extras to their stay, in order to get the most from your experience with us, however I am sorry that the way in which these came across detracted from your experience.

Thank you very much again for your review.