3,353 results
All reviews converted prison cell rooms roll top bath unique hotel cell block exercise yard original cells superior cell sunday stopover main prison pizza express porridge birthday treat continental breakfast car parking city centre full english
Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

Booked the bubbles, bed and breakfast deal which included two glasses of prosecco. Really fantastic converted prison and brilliant location. Bar was nice if a little small (had a pram with us which didn't help).

Our room was not a cell disappointingly but a Governor Room which was really nice but no quirks to it which was a shame. Deal included a continental breakfast but full English available for £2 extra which was reasonable. Breakfast was nice if a little on the cold side for me as I like my food to be piping hot. Good quality bacon and sausage and also perfect poached eggs. Continental selection was limited with very dry pain au chocolat and croissant. No ham/cheese etc or much bread selection. This could be better.

Only negative was price of parking which was £28 therefore incredibly steep to add to an already pricey hotel cost.

Enjoyed our stay and would return.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2018

Dear Fifi_W81,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and liked the converted prison building!

Cheese and charcuterie is included in our continental breakfast, however to ensure it remains fresh we serve it to order from the kitchen. I am sorry that this was not mentioned to you, but on future visits please feel free to order this from your waiter and we will be happy to bring a selection to the table for you.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

Stayed in a magnificent duplex suite which was really good, plenty of room and a lovely bathroom (could have done with a fraction more heat though). Ate in the hotel for dinner and included continental breakfast which were both good. Loved the theming of a converted prison! Perfect location the in centre of the city with shops, bars, restaurants, cites all within walking distance. Would go back.

Room Tip: duplex suites are lovely
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2018

Dear sje12015,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Duplex Suites! I am also happy to see that you enjoyed both dinner and breakfast in our Brasserie, and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our team.

We hope to welcome you back to Oxford again soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2018

My room was the least expensive (£173 a night including continental breakfast). Out tte back of the main building, down very steep and slippery stairs, across unlit courtyard. Main problem in all this was that the steep stairs had only tiny little lights, set into the side, all one side so most of the step was not lit at all. It looked pretty from inside the building. The reality was frightening. The excellent staff member who showed me to my room offered me his arm to help me go down the steps, and commented that the stairway was not well enough lit. I ‘missed’ the last step and stumbled.

What is a 4* hôtel thinking of? Perhaps the management should share the guests’ experience ?

Room Tip: Stay up in the main building
Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Dear hazelwright1,

Thank you very much for your review.

Generally our guests enjoy staying in our Houses of Correction, which is located just across the Exercise Yard. I believe our Duty Manager offered to speak with you regarding your stay, and this was declined, however please be assured that we will pass on your feedback to our Maintenance team to look into.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

This hotel was in a great location (walking distance from everything in Oxford). We stayed in a new wing that was not part of the old prison. I suspect that our room was larger and more modern than most. It was well appointed, stylish and modern. The staff was very helpful at the front desk. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in the new wing - not the former cells
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2018

Dear TravelGeekGirl,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Malmaison Oxford, and appreciated the mix of modern amenities combined with our amazing historical building! It is also great to see that you found our Front Desk staff to be helpful, and I will pass your kind words onto our Reception Manager, Sangeeta, who will be happy to hear your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I spent a night at the Malmaison. We had booked a standard double room but upon arrival we found they had upgraded us to a cell room! Nice touch. It really was quite quirky to spend the night in a prison.
We had paid to have breakfast and found that it was 'continental' as standard. They provide a cooked breakfast for a little more and as I prefer that, l went for it. Well, what a disappointment. Two small fried eggs, one flat mushroom, a tiny piece of black pudding and two economy rashers of bacon. It was poor quality and certainly not worth over £15. My partner had the continental and the bread was dry and tasteless. It smacked of cheapness. We both like a cup of tea. So, upon arrival, we settled into our room and put the kettle on. There were various choices of beverages on the tray. Two of each. After we had both had a cup of tea, there was no breakfast tea left and we enjoy a cup in the morning. Later that evening, I asked at reception if we may have more and I was told some would be brought to our room. They duly arrived with one bag! A little stingy, considering there were two of us. Also, l found the £28 parking charge a little steep.
Once again, it was nice of them to upgrade us but had they not and based on their prices, l would have rated them even lower.
In conclusion, it was a novelty and quite fun but I won't be rushing back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jason C
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2018

Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for leaving a review following on from your stay.

We are pleased that you were able to enjoy the upgrade to a Cell Bedroom, and experience a night in our converted prison cells!

I am however sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the cooked breakfast, and I will pass this feedback onto our Head Chef.

Thank you again for your feedback.