1,815 results
All reviews blenheim palace glove factory lovely hotel four poster bed feature room main building executive room car park coaching inn historic hotel nespresso machine old world charm old building enjoyable stay lovely room lots of character evening meal
Reviewed September 9, 2018

This is a really great hotel with loads of character and in a fabulous location and friendly staff but sadly let down by the way they run there restaurant (this was the reason for invite back) its very chaotic and needs a GOOD restaurant manager.

Stayed: August 2018
Macdonald_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at The Bear - Woodstock.
We do take your comments seriously and are working hard to make the dining experience better.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to The Bear in the not too distant Future.

Reviewed September 7, 2018

This is a lovely character hotel which we visited for a family meal. I cannot comment on the accommodation, but despite the efforts of the staff it was a bit chaotic and quite pricey. Several of the drinks and dishes on the menu were not available and some of the dishes came without advertised accompaniments, e.g no pea purée with the fish cake. The food was nicely presented, but portions were very small, especially the fondant. It took for ever to sort out the bill.
There is clearly intent to provide a memorable experience, but at the moment they are missing the target.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SB01

Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Bear - Woodstock.
We appreciate your feedback and we will work with the Chef and the Restaurant team to make the experience more seamless.
Once again , Thank you for your comments , and we hope to welcome you back to the Bear in the not too distant future

Reviewed September 1, 2018

Sadly we had a very disappointing stay here, despite some of the staff trying so hard. We arrived about 1.30 and went to reception to check in. I just commented that I guessed we were a bit early and our room probably wouldn't be ready yet. The guy on reception just agreed with me without even bothering to check! He suggested we go and get some lunch somewhere and I said do you do lunch here? and he said they did. So this got off to a bad start as in my opinion he should have made an effort to check whether any rooms were free and if they hadnt been straight away suggested us having lunch in their bar as they could easily have lost our lunch custom if I hadn't bothered asking. We eventually got the key to our room, went up 2 flights of stairs, key didnt work. So had to traipse all the way back down to reception. Receptionist said he would come up with us to check it we then had to go back up 2 flights of stairs again. I was carrying a bag but they never offered to take my bag for me. Another small attention to detail that would make a big difference to their customer service. Eventually got into the room which was pleasant enough but quite basic and had a distinctly unpleasant aroma to it. So we phoned down and asked if there were any other rooms available and we got moved to another room, this time with a 4 poster bed which was okay. At this point someone came up with a complimentary bottle of wine to apologise for the inconvenience which was a nice touch. Had dinner in the restaurant and it was okay, my husband enjoyed his pork belly but his egg with his asparagus and soft boiled egg starter was completely hard. I had hardly any cauliflower puree with my scallop starter and my lamb was okay, but sadly lukewarm which probably didnt help. Over dinner we discussed the rooms and checked which type of room we had booked. We had originally booked a feature room but were'nt convinced that the room we had originally been allocated fell into that category so my husband went and checked with reception, and sure enough the original room was a standard room, but the room we had been moved to was a feature room. However if we hadn't asked to move we would have been paying feature room rates for a standard room. We went to bed and were awoken at 11.30 pm by a member of staff showing guests to the room next to ours shouting his head off in the corridor, not once but twice. My husband really struggled to sleep due to the bed being so small, it wasnt very wide or very long, and the following morning we decided we had had enough and would cut short our 2 night stay to 1 night. My husband went down and asked at reception to be told that we could do that but the room would still be chargeable. So he asked to speak to the manager, explained the situation and he agreed to waive the fee for the second night. Breakfast was a bit of a disaster also. They brought the wrong breakfast to my husband, again the hot food was all lukewarm and the people next to us were complaining they'd had to wait 25 minutes for their coffee to be brought to them. On checking out we were charged £340 for the one night ! !!! We have stayed in many hotels over the years and ones that have been far superior to this one and not been charged that much. It was an extortionate price for the room and service we received. On a positive note our room was spotlessly clean and the staff were really trying very hard and were very polite and friendly.Any issues we had were dealt with promptly and politely which is why I've given 2 stars rather than 1. I can only put it down to inexperience and lack of training amongst the staff we came across, although the kitchen has no excuse for sending out lukewarm food and there was no excuse for putting us in the wrong room type when we first arrived. Such a shame as it is a lovely building in a very pretty market town and could be great.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blossie14
Macdonald_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Bear - Woodstock.
I was sorry to read about the lack of true service with regards to luggage handling and receptionist interaction.
clearly we have have a lot of work to do on training our staff , before we are able to deliver true five star service

We have many bedrooms with four poster beds and I am truly sorry that you found the size of the bed too small.
I have discussed your meal experiences with the head chef and wishes to be associated with our apologies
As you said , you found the room spotlessly clean and the staff were really trying very hard and were very polite and friendly.
Any issues you had were dealt with promptly and politely
Please give us an opportunity in the not too distant future and stay again . I am sure that improvements are being made as we speak.
Once again , thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

I had heard so much about this hotel before I went and was really looking forward to staying - this was the first hotel of my four day stay and I must say that disappointed is an understatement. I could not believe how noisy it was there was people partying until the early hours and making an absolute racket and for the cost of the hotel this is not on - if I had wanted to stay in a night club I would have booked one. The rooms are very hot and stuffy, the food was disappointing and I would not recommend the hotel

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank tayloryellow
Macdonald_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Thank you for your comments following your recent .stay at The Bear - Woodstock.
I am sorry to read that you found the hotel noisy and hot.
Putting air conditioning in such an old building is a challenge, but we are talking to my colleagues in technical services to achieve this in the future.
It is regrettable that some guest found it important to have parties until late at night. Our apologies for that..

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Fantastic location and wonderful room. Slightly spoilt by the noise of the footsteps of the room above.
Very central and easy to walk to cafes and Blenheim palace but please sound proof ceiling.
Large room and all amenities.

Stayed: August 2018

Thank you for your comments following you recent stay.
We are very proud and very happy that you liked the location and the bedroom provided.
It is clear that we still have work to do in order to eliminate the creaking floorboards.
We are working with our engineering team to achieve that
We hope to welcome you back to the Bear in Woodstock in the not too distant future.