“Nothing to get excited about” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Oxford
“Nothing to get excited about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This is a perfectly acceptable hotel that is no better or worse then many holiday inns. The room was clean and comfortable although quite small and a little dated. The bathroom was tiny with a pathetic shower but again was clean and had a full size bath. It appears they have decided to resort to blatant profiteering by ripping their guests off. I suppose as yet they haven't started charging to park the car but the wifi charge is excessive, the bar prices way over the top, breakfast here is £2 more than most already overpriced hotels in the brand and the buffet in the evening really didn't look remotely worth the price. In the end I decided to eat room service but the £15.00 for a frozen, bought in pie with a £3.00 tray charge to deliver it to my room was too much to stomach. I went across the road to the Deep Blue fish and chip shop. This is highly recommended for a great fish and chip supper!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Andy C
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 16 April 2012

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I would very much like to be able to discuss these matters with you further, and would be grateful if you could email your name and contact telephone number to reading@ihg.com, and let me know the best time to call.

Once again, may I thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to being able to speak with you in due course.

Paul Twomey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Second time we've stayed here as family of 4. Had a great one night deal including dinner and breakfast for £69. We like this location as it's not far from London and has pool which the kids love. The staff are very helpful and the restaurant is clean and spacious. Buffet dinner was excellent as was breakfast. BUT - the basic need for your stay at a hotel is that you are able to get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately this was impossible. I've worked out, from previous holiday inn stays, how to turn of the buzzing air con unit, and I also know that the fan in the bathroom comes on when you turn on the light, and then cuts out about 5 mins after you turn the light off. We truned it about 12, a but after half an hour, there was still a droning from the bathroom. I investigated and found there was no electric fan in the bathroom - but a large metal grille that expelled air from a ventilation shaft - impossible to turn off. After trying to reduce the noise in the room by closing door tightly, and attempting to sleep and failing at both, I reluctantly dressed and went to reception. Helpful staff came to room - acknowledged the problem, wnet to a cupboard in the corridor (we were in the end room) and opened it to reveal all the vent pipes that ran up the wall in our bathroom - he turned a valve which closed the vent - this reduced the noise enough to allow me to get about 4 hours sleep. Nothing worsethan waking up like you've neen on an all night session in a pub - with none of the enjoyment.
Why do hotels put guests in rooms like this? (406) Totally ruins your break.
So, in brief, stay here, check your bathroom doesn't a have a big metal vent, then enjoy the food, have a great swim, and, hopefully, a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: avoid end of corridor next to vent cupboard!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jepstock
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I was very pleased to hear your positive feedback regarding the service you encountered in the Hotel during your stay, especially your comments about our helpful staff, the pool, and our excellent breakfast and dinner.

I would also like to thank you for highlighting the issue with the vent in your bathroom, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. You have my personal assurance that your comments have been passed onto the appropriate department for corrective action.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me at reading@ihg.com.

Once again, may I thank you for your review, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed there for one night on 17/03. We've been upgraded to an executive room. Room was pleasant and there was plenty of space. We requested for a late check out and were granted this without any issue. Reception and breakfast staff was welcoming. Breakfast was good and there was plenty to choose from. We did not have dinner at the hotel as we went to a small party in the area. The only issue is that my husband found that swimming pool and changing rooms needed a bit of a clean. He went to the gym around 10:45 AM.
Location is quite nice because we were not far from Heathrow airport and Reading center.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelling_ta2012
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 3 April 2012

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I was very pleased to hear that you found your room to be pleasant, and that the Reception and Breakfast Staff were welcoming. I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, and that there was plenty to choose from.

I am sorry to read your comments about the Health Club, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. We normally pride ourselves on our high standards of cleanliness, and I would like to assure you that I have shared your feedback with both the Manager and Employees concerned, and corrective action has been taken.

Once again, may I thank you for your review, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed here for a 1 night 2 day package for Legoland windsor. We were allocated a family room which had a double bed 2 singles and a travel cot, all spotlessly clean and very nice. The resturant offered a buffet for about £13.50 per adult and children under 13 eat free and you can go up as many times as you required. Also laid on for kids were cookies and milk in the childrens play area which offered wii sports and lego for smaller kids to play. The resturant staff were really very nice, the only thing that this hotel could improve on is friendlier reception and bar staff, if they had this the hotel would be perfect. The hotel is situated approx 20 miles away from legoland but we did not find this a problem as very easy if youhave a sat nav!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HIReadingSouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I was very pleased to read your wonderful comments about the hotel, particularly about the cleanliness of your bedroom, the value of the buffet, and the play area and milk and cookies for children.

I am sorry that you felt that some of the employees may have let us down, and I would like to assure you that I have shared your review with the relevant departments, and I am sure that your experience will not be repeated.

Once again, may I thank you for your feedback, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

Simon McLaughlin
Operations Manager
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

They charged £21 for internet for 2 days!
they cost to them is almost nil as they have to have broadband what next will we have to pay for bedding and loo paper!
i have stayed in over 20 hotels this mont hand this is the first to charge for this service to guest.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Russell E
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I would very much like to be able to discuss this matter with you further, and would be grateful if you could email your name and contact number to reading@ihg.com, and let me know the best time to call.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Simon McLaughlin
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Devon, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

This Holiday Inn is just off the M4 motorway, so very convenient if travelling by car, with ample free parking. We have stayed here several times when the rates have been favourable, and would do so again if we see low prices. I always check all the surrounding ones to compare first. They seem to have added a lot more rooms recently, including many family rooms which are quite spacious compared to some others in the chain.

They have a nice swimming pool, which is always lovely and warm, and the hot tub is really warm! No steam room, and the saunas are in the changing rooms - which are the SMALLEST changing rooms I have ever seen anywhere! Once I left a hair brush there and on contacting them not only did they find it but they posted it back to me (which I paid for).

The breakfasts are the normal Holiday Inn affairs where you tend to eat too much. The evening meals are not that wonderful - but if with children this is definitely worth doing as they eat free. We visited in September with our grandchildren. On the Saturday morning we asked whether we should book a table for the evening and was told it was not necessary. However after a day in London we arrived at 8 p.m. only to be told there were no tables free. Not very good when travelling with little children. However to their credit they did manage to fit us in a little later and were very accommodating.

Being so close to the motorway it has very easy access to anywhere in London and is often much cheaper than choosing a hotel in the centre.

All in all it is well worth going to if you can get the rooms at a reasonable price - they seem to fluctuate wildly - and would definitely use again.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for a room closes to reception as they are very spread out.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your experiences whilst staying at our Hotel.

I was very pleased to read you comments, particularly that you find us to be in a convenient location, of good value, and that you enjoy the pool.

I was sorry to learn of the issue with booking a table for dinner, but was pleased that we were able to rectify the issue at the time.

Once again, may I thank you for your valuable feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in due course.

South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I am a platinum HI member so regularly stay at this chain. This hotel is one of the better ones but at well over £100 a night I was anticipating it to be located nearer to the own centre.

All in all a good hotel, good staff, the Irish bar is a nice touch but when there, it is a long taxi ride to any civilisation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 15 March 2012

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your comments about our staff, and have passed them on to the team with thanks.

Regarding our rates, I would just like to say that they are very competitive for the local market, but should you contact our Reservations Department on 0118 987 0482, special offers or advance purchase rates may be available.

Once again, may I thank you for your comments, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

Paul Twomey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
1.2 km away
4.0 km away
Novotel Reading Centre
4.9 km away
Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11? Share your experiences!