“jan stay”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 21 January 2012

stayed this week, the restaurant was cold and unwelcoming. the whole hotel is "tired" and needs updating. I booked through bid A price on Priceline so paid a good rate but disappointed

• Stayed: January 2012
There are newer reviews for The Reading Lake Hotel

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel between Christmas and New Year. The receptionist on arrival was excellent - welcoming and efficient.

The first room we were offered was dismal - very unwelcoming, sparse, cold and badly lit. The carpet was dirty. We were upgraded (free of charge) to a suite, for which we were grateful, and showed good customer service. The suite was a good size, with a sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. It had a double deck outside the bedroom and sitting room overlooking the lake. However, it too, was very sparse, badly lit and had no comfy touches at all - ie no pictures on the walls, no cushions etc. The suite was possibly the most basic we have ever stayed in, and I certainly would not have paid an additional charge for the upgrade. It had an "empty" feeling. The bathroom was a badly designed triangular shape which meant space was limited, which was odd because it adjoined a large hallway ! the fixtures in the bathroom were very dated, the taps etc were badly stained and dull. The bath had a dirty film around it, and the tiles were dirty and had remnants of a previous user's shower gel on them. I required to clean the bath and tiles before we used the facilities.

The bar and restaurant had a nice, relaxed atmosphere, with good food, well cooked, and we enjoyed 2 bar meals there which were very pleasant. The bar staff are attentive and courteous. On the first 2 nights we stayed, the hotel was empty, so lacked atmosphere. Even on New Year's Eve, when the hotel was busier, there was no entertainment laid on and if you wanted to eat in the restaurant, you required to book beforehand, which we were not made aware of earlier, so we eat in the bar again that evening, which was a shame because we would willingly have paid extra for a nice dinner on New Year's Eve, as would others we talked to.

Breakfast was great, made to order, freshly cooked and well presented.

All in all, a nice hotel (but needs updating), good location on the lake, great staff, nice bar food, but the whole place lacks atmosphere and is boring ! I appreciate we stayed during a quiet period, and have no doubt the hotel is buzzing in the summer months with the lake activities available, but I would suggest the Management look at enhancing the public areas and possibly introduce some activities within the hotel, for the quieter months. Not sure we would return to this hotel for these reasons.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2012

If you get room 120 then ask for another one!
It's very tired, paper pealing off the walls, signs of mould. Bathroom although nice and clean is very dated and mould signs on tile grout etc. it also smells musty as a consequence.

It seems pot luck whether you get a good room at this hotel as others have stayed here and found it fine. We have a corporate account so I would expect better for the price to be honest.

The individual balcony lake view is unique although again spoiled by the old dirty decking. It really wouldn't take that much to make this a great place to stay. I hope the mgt take this on and makes improvements soon.

Food and service excellent, just the room letting down my stay.

Room Tip: Not room 120!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This hotel, for the price paid was superb.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was huge and overlooked the lake, on a hideous cold winter day this didn't make a difference but I can imagine the summer this being very pleasant. The M4 is very close but no noise was noticeable.

There is a well equipped gym for Aerobic exercise which was a bonus and all rooms have Sky Sports 1 and 2.

The bar area was pleasant however I found the food and drink overpriced for the standard of what was received. Use of the internet is very expensive as well. Breakfast was again good and much better value when paying in advance.

The receptionist on check out was very helpful and helped divide the bill between cards, Staff all over the hotel were superb.

Overall a comfortable and enjoyable overnight business stay.

Room Tip: Room facing the lake
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2011

The staff were about the only good thing about this hotel, they work really hard.

However this cannot make up for a tired, dated hotel in a poor location a stones throw from the M4 (so its noisy). It is on the wrong side of the M4 for Reading and its location is difficult to get to, I would suggest impossible without a car. The lake I think is an old gravel pit for the motorway and I suspect is a water run off for it as well.

On the plus side...its quiet and by that I mean empty which is not surprising to be honest. Look for somewhere else if you can.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and i have just spent a weekend at the reading lake hotel. All i can say is the stay was brilliant, the room was lovely,clean and comfortable the staff were so friendly the evening meal was fantastic and the breakfast was also brilliant all meals were fresh, piping hot and cooked to perfection.the hotel is set in beautiful grounds over looking the lake overall a first class hotel,would reccomend to anyone we will be going back again.

Room Tip: Most rooms over look the lake ask for one they are lovely
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

We are glad your stay was a very enjoyable experience andl ook forward to seeing you again soon

Best regards

Reviewed 19 November 2011

The title says it all - I was less than impressed with this hotel and if all you want is a flea pit to sleep in then you have made a good choice.

The bathroom in my room needed a complete clean, it looked like the bathroom would in a student house with grim around the taps and shower head.

Came back with bites all over me - presumably from the bed

The meals in the bar were poor - the mashed potatoes should have just been called potatoes because I don't think it had ever seen a masher!

Avoid avoid avoid

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Paul H, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay which we shall address.
We take the health and safety of our guests very seriously and when notified of any issues investigate fully.
I would be grateful if you contact me directly to confirm the room number you were allocated so I can conduct a thorough investigation.
Yours SIncerely