All reviews city centre car park arundel gate night porter street noise large bathroom crucible theatre one night stay no air conditioning double room lady on reception early hours breakfast was excellent full english breakfast comfortable stay comfy bed academy
Reviewed October 25, 2017

The first room we were given (1st floor) had, in effect, no ventilation nor any aircon. There were windows but they could only be opened at the very top, using a pole which was not supplied. The receptionist had to come and open it for us, and couldn't leave the pole as there is only one! We decided to ask for a different room, and were given a much better one on the 4th floor, with openable windows and a great view. The receptionist was very helpful and did her very best but there is no doubt this is a hotel in serious need of an update. Having said that if you are happy with a 1980s style room, which was actually perfectly comfortable, it would be fine but perhaps a bit overpriced for what you get. For parking you get a special rate at the nearby public car park but if you don't know Sheffield (which we didn't) it is a nightmare to find for the first time. Written instructions for finding the car park would have been helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for one where you can open the windows.... as there is no aircon.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I booked for a one night stay as we were attending a large event from 8pm until early the next morning and required somewhere to store our bags, get ready and hopefully get a few hours sleep too. This hotel, although still overpriced compared to what I paid in the past was far reasonably priced over other city centre hotels for this particular night.

On arrival we were greeted immediately and advised that the lift was out of order. This surprised me as the lift was also broken on my last stay a few years ago. We were however offered a ground floor room if this would be a problem but looking at the paperwork I could see that we'd been upgraded to an executive room do despite my poor arthritic knees we accepted the original room on the 2nd floor.

As I had already stayed at the hotel previously I knew what to expect from our room. It quite clearly hasn't been refurbished since the 80's or early 90's and there's light varnished wood everywhere, patterned carpets and dated bathrooms but it's clean and functional and aesthetics aside it serves a purpose. Our executive room upgrade (which we're very grateful of) was a little larger than the others on the floor looking at the floor plan on the door but still very small and a rather weird L shape with floor to ceiling windows facing out to the rear of the hotel and robes / slippers. As others have mentioned before in reviews, the narrow alleys at either side create a canyon effect which carry noise upwards, so do expect to hear some during your stay, particularly if your room is at the front. As we were expecting to get in during the early hours this was no trouble to us at night, but certainly caused some disturbance during our attempt to have an afternoon knap. Not the hotels fault, but something to be aware of.

The hotel is old and the layout very strange. There were numerous sounds encountered varying from lightly annoying, intermittent humming (source unidentified) on and off for around 40mins at a time to full on creepy swishing/rushing sounds in the walls which were again unidentifiable. Even after a few drinks, I do awaken to noises so this was an issue for me personally. If you sleep heavy this shouldn't cause you any problems.

The shower was pleasant but not very powerful, as I mentioned it's quite old and drawn from taps rather than from a separate source. The sink taps were pretty bad - water didn't run until you'd turned them a few times which initially led me to believe there was no running water. Towels were clean and plentiful.

Overall a pleasant stay in a good location, but I'd rather not stay again due to the unidentified noises which were a little annoying for me personally.

Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

In a nutshell

Rooms:small adequate (but expected more for price and from a Best Western)

Cleanliness: good

Location: Close to theatres and O2

NOISE!: you can hear the next door rooms turn on a light, and if you want to hear others having Sex and that's your thing (maybe this is the hotel for you!!)
You can also hear A LOT of noise and shouting from outside.

The lift was out of service, however we were emailed in advance about this inconvenience.

Final say: There are a lot better hotels in Sheffield for the same or similar prices.

Reviewed October 12, 2017

I spent 2 nights in the hotel, having stayed in many other Sheffield hotels before for comparison.

Room: Very small and a bit dated. The windows would not open more than an inch as the curtain rail was put up in the wrong place. I landed up wedging the windows open with toilet paper to keep them slightly ajar as the room was so hot. The curtains looked like they had been washed and shrunk, which meant they did not cover the bottom part of the window (they looked silly also).

Cleanliness: Average

Staff: The staff were friendly

Location: Excellent in the middle of the city

Noise: Lots of noise in the hotel, and was woken to loud arguments which you could clearly hear.

Comparison to other Sheffield hotels: This was priced similar but was no way up to the same standard of other budget hotels. I would not return.

Overall: Rundown, old hotel which is charging too much.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank MathTraveller42
Nikki L, General Manager at Best Western Sheffield City Centre Cutlers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2017

I am disheartened to hear about the issues that you experienced as these impacted upon your stay.

The whole team is continuously working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Kind Regards
Nikki Lucas

Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

Booked as part of a birthday present as close to the venue we were going to. This was the only good thing about the hotel, room was very small considering we paid £129.
Bed was very uncomfortable, TV remote didn't work, heating was on full and could not turn off, could not open windows as too high even for my husband who is 6ft+, noise from street at kicking out time for the night club kept us awake from 3am and at 8am drilling of the road started in the street outside.
We left feedback with reception which was to be passed on to the manager but we are still waiting for some communication.
One of the worst places I have ever stayed

1  Thank smook4444
Nikki L, General Manager at Best Western Sheffield City Centre Cutlers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2017

Your feedback is invaluable, and I thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am disappointed to hear that you were disheartened with your bedroom and the amenities.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the impact these had upon your stay and rest assured that it is something we are proactively seeking resolution.

Your feedback was handed over to me this morning on my arrival into the hotel, as your departure was yesterday it was my endeavour to respond to you today within a timely manner.

Kind Regards