“unfriendly service”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
The Westbourne House Hotel
Ranked #48 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 30 April 2010

There are a few rooms on the first floor, which all have the doors coming out to a tiny corridor, which is unpleasant. The bed seemed new and was comfortable.

We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but when we arrived we found out that we can't connect to their internet service (promised as part of their service). This was after visiting about 7 different locations in Europe and the UK, with never having any problem with our WiFi on 2 different laptops. We told them that having internet is essential for us, and we can't stay if they can't solve the problem. First they blamed our computers, then all computers of people who came from the US (although we told them we did not come from the US, it was just a US accent), and finally they admited that a friend put this system together for them, they don't understand anything in it, and can't afford professional support. We asked to cancel our reservations, but they insisted on charging us the full price of 3 nights, unless they find someone else for the other nights, although we felt they did not supply an essential service they advertise.
Another incident: when we mentioned that one of the drawers is filthy, Sue, the owner, said she knows about it, and it's because last week someone from our country stayed there...
We mentioned these issues to our host at the university, and he said that he heard from other guests he had, that the place is good as long as you don't ask for anything. Any special request or any complaint - gets that kind of reaction.

We will never go there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Westbourne House Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2010

I booked the Westbourne for my parents' stay in Sheffield. The woman who took my booking insisted, quite reasonably, that she take my card payment so that the booking was secured. This was fine. However, with just 48 hours til their visit, she called to say that someone else who was a more important customer had been given my room. She had identified an alternative nearby and I asked if she could look into negotiating the same rate as this was a far more expensive option. I was told that if I took that attitude she "didn't feel inclined to help me". I thought this was amusing so called the Fulwood Inn to see if I could just ensure I had somewhere guaranteed for my parents asap. They were lovely - by the way - and booked me in. When the Westbourne called back and said that I would have to go the Fulwood I requested that they pay the difference due to the inconvenience called and could she look into this. Then it got very strange! She started screaming down the phone that she has spent and hour and a half sorting out an alternative room and that if I wasn't happy "Do what you've gotta do" and bizarrely hung up on me! Great customer service!!!!! I run a business in the area so am pretty happy this was a family booking as i would NEVER recommend somewhere that treated people like this to any businesses or journalists that I book into accommodation in Sheffield.
What a strange lady!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We actually wrote this letter of complaint at the time, but never got around to sending it. I am delighted to now be able to post it now.

To the proprietors, Westbourne House Hotel.

I am writing to complain about the service we received while staying at the Westbourne House Hotel, September 2007. I can assure you that it was by far the worst service that either of us have ever received from a British hotel.

Your behaviour was, quite frankly, astonishing. We telephoned at 8.30 pm to let you know when we expected to arrive – 10.30 pm – which you informed us was ‘completely unacceptable’. In the course of our work, we have both stayed in hotels and guest houses all over Britain. Whenever we have expected to arrive at a hotel or guest house after 9 pm, we have telephoned to apologise to the proprietors, who may need to make particular arrangements. In your case, you made it abundantly clear that our predicted time of arrival was supremely inconvenient, even threatening to cancel our reservation if we didn’t arrive promptly. Bearing in mind the fact that we were driving (and the distance we had travelled), and indeed the fact that you are currently recommended by the AA (a motoring association), we think that it was extremely reckless and irresponsible of you to make such threats. Were we supposed to drive at greater speed for you? It was an extraordinarily unreasonable demand – not least because we kept you informed of our traffic problems and in any case had arrived by 11 pm, which is hardly very late.

Your behaviour was most unfriendly, deeply unprofessional, and profoundly unaccommodating.

Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank 1,599
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My Husband was having an operation, in the hospital for a tumor, not a nice time, we booked into the so called Hotel, we had a call on the way there from the lady owner (I can't remember her name) saying what time were we coming as they were going out. I found this strange from a hotel. When we arrived we found out it was a B&B,they showed us to our room, which was nice and clean.

We had an awful nights sleep as the bed had sunk in the middle, we mentioned it in the morning and said they would sort it. I also asked if they could toast me some of my wheat free bread as I have a wheat allergy, they said no, but later relented. We left for the hospital.

After a very grueling day I left my husband in the Hospital and asked the lady owner had managed to sort the bed. I was not prepared for the rudness and objectionalble behaviour. She said "what do you expect me to do about it" I was very upset and feeling low, now I felt close to tears. I locked myself in the room, and asked for a cancellation. The following morning the husband came down to breakfast and told me they had cancelled further nights and I could leave.

I was very relieved to go and booked into a plush hotel in Sheffield for the same money.

This place was very over priced and I felt like an intruder in someoned home they were extremely rude. This was an experience that I would not like again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank oakeydokey1
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I was put off staying at this hotel by the reviews on this website. However, it was in a very convenient location for my work in Sheffield so I went ahead and booked it. And I'm really glad I did. I was asked for an arrival time but thats not a problem and the owners were ready when I arrived. They weren't terribly friendly but I just wanted somewhere to stay -not new friends! The hotel is very clean and tidy, the rooms are tastefully furnished and decorated and contain everything you could need. At night the hotel was quiet ensuring a good nights sleep and the breakfasts were very tasty with portions I couldn't finish. Ignore the bad reviews, this is an okay place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I have never experienced anything like some of the reviews here in my numerous stays over the past nine years. I never stay anywhere else in Sheffield, unless the Westbourne is sold out! For this money you get comfort and peace combined with the best fresh cooked breakfast in town.

Go ahead and stay in some of the hotels in town if you want, I have, in all of them, and still come back to book here as my first choice every time. By the way, if you can try the 'bridal suite' I was put in it one night as the place was full, it is a great room with a little doorway to a secret garden.......none of the town centre 60's nightmare hotels have secret garden rooms!

A 4 or 5 star hotel it isn't, but then not many of them offer what the Wesbourne House does; quality, service and value, consistently, over nine years!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank wirelesskev
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My daughter booked this hotel for me and my husband to stay for one night before attending her graduation.
She asked me to ring the owner of the hotel to explain that as we were coming from London and were leaving after work,we could not guarantee to arrive before 10 pm.
As soon as I open my mouth to explain the situation I was met with barrage of hostility and rudeness.
Apparently arriving before 10 o'clock was a prerequisite of booking and the hostess was unable and unwilling to suggest any other option as "they will be in bed by 10".Her only suggestion was to cancel my booking and to slam the phone down.
After this experience I went on the web to check the hotel by myself.
The Westbourn Hotel has many terrible reviews and the owner is quite "famous" for her outbursts and rudeness.
What I can not understand is : why has this hotel been rated as 5 stars by AA?
Surly, the hotels are rewarded not just for the cleanliness but also because of the friendly atmosphere and politeness of the hosts?
After booking with a different hotel for that night I consider this a lucky escape

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple