“Ok if you cant get in anywhere good”
Review of Platillos Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Platillos Bar & Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Hmm tough one because I have no complaints . This place is what it is, pre packaged food reheated and served in a townie restaurant . Theres no gristle in the meat but the same is true at Mcdonalds. The bottom line is that this place is ok but the food is not good enough to qualify as being somewhere you look forward to. Its a bit like beans on toast. Its ok but if you had anything else you'd go there first. Staff were very good for us.

Platillos_Sheffield, Manager at Platillos Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for your review. I feel that it is only right that I reply to your comment that we serve pre packaged, reheated food. Please note that this is most definately not the case, all of our dishes are prepared on site using, where possible, locally sourced ingredients which are delivered daily. I'm sorry if this wasn't evident to you on this occasion.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I was visiting on a Friday afternoon with some friends. There is a bar serving bar snacks on the ground floor, with the restaurant situated on the first floor. We had pre booked so we were guaranteed a table. In respect of the booking process, this is where I think it could be better. It is the only restaurant I know where they insist on a £5 deposit per person paid in advance. I personally find this very inconvenient. I have dined in hundreds of restaurants.

The restaurant was quite empty. The young waitress who served us was attentative to our needs and her service was first class. We had gone for the set menu at £18.50 per person. The food was delightful. A nice selection of hot and cold tapas, plentiful in supply. We all agreed the food was tasty.

We then all decided to have a sweet. This is where I think most certainly the service could be improved. The menu stated each desert was £3.50, but when we came to order, we were told that that it would cost I think it was a pound more as we had not ordered in advance! Initially I thought they were joking. Apparently not. I was very disappointed with this. I have never heard of such rubbish.

All in all we had a great time but, and this is only my opinion, service could be better. We will not be going back in a hurry.

Thank you for your review, and I'm happy that you enjoyed your food on this visit. Please be assured that we do only ask for a deposit when it is a large group booking or for tables over the key festive period, which applied to your party. This is, of course, deducted from your bill on the day and not uncommon.
We also have various offers that we like to offer, the reduced price for pre-ordering your desserts was one that we offered with our Christmas menu.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

The food was quite nice, nothing especially outstanding though. Make sure you order enough food as we actually went to McDonald's after the meal as we were still hungry!

I can't particularly complain about anything as everything was ok, but just ok. I would consider returning but there are a lot nicer places in sheff!

Thank you for your review. As a tapas restaurant our dishes are served as small dishes so that you can select a few dishes to share, and also add to your order should you wish. I hope you do choose to return in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

if I am honest I wouldn't have chosen this restaurant as I thought it would be quite pricy and I would be disappointed? However, I walked out having a really good meal with excellent food.
The restaurant is upstairs with a bar downstairs. It was Thursday evening and the bar was very quiet. the location is in the centre of sheffield and quite an exclusive section with nice bars and restaurants around it, so quite appealing and looks a popular area to visit. we had a drink downstairs before moving upstairs.
we were a group of six work colleagues, the menu was significant but always difficult to select with small dishes. the meal for two looked good so we went for that twice, some starters and a couple of main courses. the food was prepared was excellent and there was plenty of it. in fact everyone seemed to enjoy having a bit of everything. All in all very good, although I do feel the waiting staff could bea. Little bit more friendly .

Thank you for your review, and nice that we exceeded your expectations. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We visited the restaurant at approx. 5.30pm on a Friday night and it was gearing up for office Christmas parties, etc. They still managed to find us a table in the great atmosphere near to the kitchens which you could watch all the activity. We had a large selection of Tapas and two glasses of their house red wine. All was superb and everything hit the spot! The waiter was very helpful, kind and professional. We really enjoyed our meal and we would recommend it to any one.

Thanks for your lovely review, and hope to see you again soon.