“Weekend break”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I had an excellent stay at the Bath Spa Hotel: The service, room and facilities were the best I have ever encountered at any hotel I have stayed in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for a relaxing and luxurious stay; from the moment you arrive you get the 5 star treatment. Thank you so much to all the fantastic staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Sycamore suite
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Having read a number of reviews about this hotel I was a little wary about the booking. My husband and I were travelling to Bath for one day and night only and wanted to stay somewhere special. I looked at the Royal Crescent and here and basically opted for his due to the price - it was approx. £100 cheaper!
We arrived about 11am and our room wasn't ready, but this wasn't a problem as we wanted to explore the City anyhow.
Contrary to other reviews we were greeted very warmly. The staff were very helpful - young and enthusiastic, giving us a good recommendation for breakfast in the town.
As we were only there one day we wanted to make the most of the hotels facilities so came back mid afternoon to use the pool etc. It was a decent enough pool, though don't expect a particularly relaxing soak. There just isn't the ambience that you would expect from a 5* hotel, for example there are a few loungers around the pool but its just not very luxurious. For example it wasn't possible to sit and have a drink by the pool.
We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel or breakfast as we had an early flight but we did have afternoon tea and this was absolutely lovely - just as you would imagine....little sandwiches, cakes, scones with clotted cream and jam. It was reasonably priced and one between two was plenty. Again the staff in the lounge area could not have been more pleasant.
In my opinion (unlike some of the other reviews) it is the staff here hat really make the place - for example when getting ready to head out for the evening we realised that we had forgotten to pack deodorant (didn't want to check luggage) so I embarrasingly called the concierge and enquired if we could get some. The young guy said he would be happy to send someone out for us but if we wanted we could borrow his! He brought us his rightguard up straight away and saved any hassle - just a really nice guy and down to earth.
Bath is a gorgeous City and this hotel was very good - we would be happy to return.
Regarding location the hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk into the main shopping area - a lovely walk through a pretty park.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights. Like so many other reviewers we were left astonishied and disappointed by the disorganised, lazy, uncaring service.

The website states check in at 2. We arrived at 2.30 and yet still were made to wait for nearly an hour until we could go to our room. The worst things about this were the unsympathetic receptionists, who couldn't give us a straight answer and kept on insisting it would be "15 minutes" over and over. 5 or 6 other guests were left stranded in the same way, and there weren't enough places to sit, or a closet that they would put your bags into, so we were trapped stood pathetically in the lobby. We ended up starting our break stressed and annoyed - only by insisting on speaking to the manager were we eventually given refreshments and straight answers, but even this was done patronisingly with just a grudging, defensive apology.

Please if you stay here do not pay £25 a head for breakfast - what a farce that was. On the first morning we were asked to order our breakfast 'Premier Inn' style (although the food was not as nice as it is in that establishment - I'm serious!!) There was no menu choice for breakfast at all really - hardly 5 star!!! It took about 20 minutes for our order to be taken, toast and coffee was brought out which became cold as we waited. Poached eggs that I asked to be runny came out solid, and when I ordered some warm toast it came out long after I'd finished my breakfast! Even more oddly the next day there was no ordering, it had turned to a tiny buffet style scrum affair, with cold scrambled eggs and tomatoes the only thing available when we arrived - I refused to pay this time, Cold breakfast choices were limited and unimaginative and overall I would compare this breakfast to a 2 star hotel, not a 5! You're about a 10 minutes walk from a bakery in town - please don't waste your money and up your stress levels by bothering with breakfast!

I liked the look of the hotel, it is rather old-fashioned, but I find that quite charming. Our room was large and cosy. It did seem in need of an update, with half ripped off signs on the bath, filthy grouting and an ancient, non-digital TV system, along very measly and basic coffee and tea supplies (although I liked having a teapot!). Garden View was a bit of a stretch given we faced the car park, but we didn't hear a sound at night-time.

The Spa really is wonderful, moving beyond your basic sauna, steam set-up and including a salt-infusion room and an ice room, plus a warm outdoor pool that you can actually swim to from inside. Again we were met by poor service though, with a very severe man patronising me about not losing a key as if I was a school child rather than a grown woman (I didn't lose it, but I felt like spitting on it!)

The bar (you have to walk through a restaurant to find it!) was lovely and quaint, with a real 20s feel. For once I appreciated the slow service as the bar man spent about 10 minutes carefully constructing our delicious cocktails.

Bath is a wonderful place to visit, but if I came here again I would never stay at this hotel. Instead I'd go somewhere cheaper and pay the money for one of the many day spas in town - I think this way we would still save money on what we spent. Service is so important, you need it to feel at home when you're away from home, and it should be part of what you pay for. At this hotel I got the feeling guests were seen as more of an annoyance than an asset. Every problem we had, when we looked around, was being faced by many others. The hotel is under-staffed. Noone seems to know what they are doing, the management is patronising, defensive and unapologetic, and what should be such a relaxing place only gets your stress levels up - I strongly recommend you don't stay here. We couldn't wait to leave in the end, so much so we forewent extra time in the Spa on check-out morning. 5 star establishments must really be expected to make a lot more effort to ensure their customers are satisfied - you can tell this place doesn't care from the fact noone even responds to the views on here.

Room Tip: Be assertive! If they mess up do complain and they will grudgingly do something about it, don't...
2  Thank JillyLeicester
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just returned from a lovely 2 night break in Bath, I can highly recommend the macdonald bath spa hotel. After reading several bad reviews I was slightly worried about what to expect, however as soon as we entered the hotel gates I knew we would be in for a lovely stay. Upon arrival the maid was still cleaning our room however reception were very apologetic and offered us free drinks whilst waiting. Our room a standard twin was lovely not at all dirty as some suggest! We really enjoyed the spa especially the heated outdoor pool! Breakfast was delicious and staff very friendly.

The walk into town is a leisurely 10 to 15 mins through a lovely park, look out for the orient express which runs through it.

Would not consider staying anywhere else in bath!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 302 lovely decor however no view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

but in this case it frankly isn't.

In Bath for a very special occasion, we opted for a special place to spend the night - and frankly wish we hadn't

The hotel itself is magnificent, the grounds and the setting are simply superb, the decor and general appearance less so, and the standard of service just something which didn't merit the ticket price or the 5 star rating.

I followed up the poor service levels with the GM,

Martin J. Clubbe

whose response was between the negative and the denial, with a hint of patronising.

His reply was factually incorrect, as he stated that noone else had complained about the service..... well obviously the guy doesn't read other reviews on Trpadvisor.....

No idea why this place can command the prices it does, other than Bath is a tourist magnet which is wholly under supplied by hotels.

My advice - do what plenty of other people did who attended the same event - get a b and b or book the Travelodge - at least if our room rate is reasonable your expectaions are not set too high !

So...... stay here and be rewarded with dissappointment !

Please look at my other reviews of other hotels I have stayed at worldwide - I always give praise where it's due, and measured criticism where i think it valid.... this is the most negative review I have ever writen !

McDonald bath - nul points !

Room Tip: to get a good room in bath - stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BruceHunter
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Great hotel and spa, rooms could do with a bit of an update

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel during the Easter break for a long weekend.

Our experience did not get off to a great start, once we arrived we were told by reception that our room had been double booked and we were to be re-located to another hotel for one night as this hotel was completley full. We were obviously very disappointed having travelled 3 hours to the hotel only be told that we had to transfer to a different hotel which was less adequate and a lot further away. The Operations Manager claimed that this was no fault of the hotel and that the booking agent (e-bookers) should have informed us via email or phone - this obviously did not happen. However, the Operations Manager was accomadating as they paid for our taxis to the other hotel and also to and from Bath city centre in the evening.

We arrived back at the Macdonald Hotel the next morning and were pleased to find that the management had upgraded our room to the Premium Imperial Suite. The Imperial Suites are all all located in a seperate area of the hotel and have a dedicated butler service.

The concierge and our butler Jeremey were extremley helpful and apologetic for the inconvienence that was caused to us and they made every effort to make up for their error from the previous day. Our luggage was brought up to the room by the butler and we were offered champagne and canapes. The room was very clean and met all of our basic requirements. The rooms main features were a four poster bed, living room, fireplace, seperate dressing room, heated marbel floor bathroom.

In my opinion the room we stayed in was very over priced. The price of this room is roughly £450 a night - we obviously didn't pay this as we were upgraded. But for this price I would expect luxury and although the hotel itself is very grand and luxurious, the rooms themselves are very basic. The TVs are only small flat screens with limited channels, there is no wifi access in the rooms and the four poster bed may look nice at a glance but it is actually very unsteady and cheap.

The bathroom is nice and clean with a big tub, seperate shower and 2 sinks but I have seen better in cheaper hotels.

The spa facilities are the best thing about this hotel, the thermal pool was lovely as were the numerous sauna rooms. The gym is is small but has all the basic equipment. The spa area has seperate changing rooms which are maintained very well i.e. no dirty towels left around.

Mixed feelings on the hotel staff; we found the receptionist to be rather rude and unfriendly - upon arrival we were offered no apology or explanation by the blonde lady who was checking us in. She just said we had to be be transferred to another hotel, it was only the Operations Manager who managed to salvage the situation. On the other hand, the conceirge and butler were very helpful, they were always on hand to cater to our needs. On the morning that we arrived from the other hotel, the conceirge remembered who we were and made sure we were taken care of. Based on previous negative reviews of hotel staff, it may be a case that we were given 'special treatement' due to the booking error made by the hotel.

Location is very good, only an easy 10 minute walk to the city centre.

Overall, the hotel is spectacular to look at from the outside and it does have a beautiful setting. The reception area and spa are also very nice, however I don't believe that this justifies the cost per night for the hotel... I don't believe you get value for money at this hotel (unless your fortunate enough to get an upgrade like us or if you find a good deal online!).