New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Lansdown Grove Hotel

The Lansdown Grove Hotel
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Bath
London
“Dont go if you want any sleep or decent customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I booked two nights in this hotel and when I arrived after a difficult journey I was given a poky, single bedroom, very dated and tatty. After explaining that I thought I had booked a double room I was told I had made a mistake in my booking and couldn't change as the hotel was booked. I had to get on with my evening with friends and so I accepted this, adn went out for the evening. That evening I was kept awake by the thunder of traffic (lorries mainly) from the road my windows backed onto. Everytime a truck went past the window panes and bed would shake, and at 6am there appeared to be some plumbing issues in the walls as there was a sound of banging metal. I called reception at 7am to say I couldnt sleep due to the ridiculous noiuse level and that I needed to change rooms. I was shouted at by the male receptionist who said he knew it was noisy but there was nothing he could do, and I would have to put up with it. he accused me of complaining because I wanted to change rooms last night and he had already exlplained there were no rooms available. When I said I needed to sleep on this stay and I would have to look for another hotel if he couldnt change me to a room that wasnt shaking and rattling, he said "Do what you like, we've already got yout money". HIs manner was so aggressive he reduced me to tears - at 7am! I called the customer service line at 8am and they asked me to report it on Monday and encouraged me to get a different hotel, as I felt unable to stay following the treatment by the duty manager. Having already paid for the room and with most other hotels being full except for the most expensive rooms I couldnt find another hotel, although I wasted a day trying. I returned to the hotel that evening, cautiously as I did not want to run into the aggressive duty manager (this was supposed to be a holiday!). A female duty ,anager was on whom I spoke to and who changed me to a quieter room and apologised, she also encouraged me to complain on Monday. I ordered a sandwich in the bar which took 45 minutes to arrive and was overly salted, which I had with a flat cola from the bar. I left as early as possible the next day. I complained on Monday to Coast and Country Hotels who own the hotel asking for a full refund due to the awful treatment I received. I received a response some weeks later saying that I should have expected "road noise" and the duty manager Frank (who was the one who shouted at me) had informed them there were no plumbing issues, and no-one else had complained about plumbing, also that Frank had told them I wanted to chage rooms the previous night - in short - they refused to listen to my concerns and would not refund any of the money I had paid. I immediately asked for my complaint to be taken higher, but have heard nothing since. My advice is NEVER book here, and if you do, NEVER pay in full in advace. It was an appalling hotel which is shame as the location is nice and the price reasonable, but now I see why.

Room Tip: Ensure when you book you specify not to be in a single by the road and have proof of it, as they wil...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Caroline H
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Caroline H
Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your two night break with us but as you can see from the many positive reviews before this is very much a rare occurence.
Upon checking the booking which you had made online,you had booked a single room which is what you were allocated.
The receptionist could not move you on the Friday as the hotel was full but as you said we were able to move you on the Saturday into a double room due to a last minute cancellation.
Jane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed here in December visiting Bath for its Christmas Market. Hotel is exceptional value with evening meal included in the price. You can't get a B&B in Bath for that price. My single room was the biggest and most nicely appointed I have stayed in. The public rooms are all nicely decorated with lovely fabrics, and the Christmas decorations were very elegant. Breakfast buffet was enough to set you up for the day, although they can't make scrambled eggs! Dinner was much better with plenty of choice. Hotel is on a hill but it's also on the park & ride bus route with frequent buses stopping by the hotel. You can walk down to the Circus & Royal Crescent in 10-15 mins. Booked again for January for a business trip with collegues.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jazzcatjan
Dear Jazzcatjan
Thanks for your lovely comments it's great to read that you have decide to return to the Lansdown.
The Lansdown Grove Hotel is a great base to see Bath and all the surronding areas.
Next time you are here why not visit the newly refurbished Holburne Museum which is free.
Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We have recently returned from a Shearings break to the Lansdown Grove and had a fantastic time. In particular many thanks to our coach driver Phil who made our holiday by going out of his way to be helpful and informative and going the extra mile.

The Lansdown Grove is a lovely old hotel, the decor is dated but this is in keeping with the building. My only small complaint was the bath in our room which was in desperate need of being replaced, however the shower was fine. The staff were all very friendly and helpful particularly in the dining room and the food was fantastic, my mum is a very fussy eater but she found something every day that she liked. The entertainment was very good and in particular the head receptionist Frank was very entertaining and we enjoyed his quiz night immensely.

I would love to return another time and recommend this hotel/trip very highly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Carole W
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Carole W
I have passed on your comments to Phil our coach driver and Franck our head receptionist who loves doing his Monday quiz both are well chuffed. I am glad your mum was pleased with our service in the restaurant we do our best to help all types of eaters including fussy and the not so fussy.
Hope to see you in the not too distant future.
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have stayed at several Shearings hotels and this is the best so far. The food was good, and enough not to leave the table feeling hungry (The Savoy, Bournemouth). The restaurant was well set out, so we did not feel as though we were eating in a canteen (St Ives Bay); the staff were friendly and helpful.
We had a lovely room on the first floor (104, over the Easter weekend); right by the road, but we did not get distrubed by the traffic. However, it was freezing cold. We reported it after the first night and were assured it would be rectified. It was not and the 2nd night was even worse. As they are still using blankets, despite previous postings that this was being changed, it was impossible to snuggle down and get warm, even in bed. On the 3rd night, a portable heater was provided, but it was such a large room, it did no more than take the chill off. The radiators were not working at all, until late(well after 18.30) on the 3rd night, a bit late for us. Although the reception staff were polite, no refund or compensation was offered. Reliable heating is the least a guest should expect from an hotel in the 21st cenury. It appears that heating is a problem for this hotel, so perhaps getting a full overhaul should be a priority. Overall, not a bad hotel and at £112 per room per night for dinner, bed and breakfast, not bad value either, but it could be so much better with a bit more care.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheValients
Dear TheValients
Thanks for your review it was nice to see you thought the Lansdown was the best you have visited so far. As to the heating of the hotel this isn't an area we normally have any issues. Hopefully any problems you had don’t happen again. You will be pleased to know the duvets are on their way !
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Went on a Shearings holiday, hotel absolutely fabulous, extremly helpful friendly staff, lovely delicious meals and good entertainment.
Phil our driver was very helful and informative all through the holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandra C
Dear Sandra C
Just what we like to see a happy guest. Great review
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

stayed for 4 nights...nice big hotel.good size room...tt breakfast you can have as much as you like..ie,cereal,yoghurt,fruit juices...croissants....then you order english breakfast..which is nice except for awful sausage every day..excellent unobtrusive service.
evening meals are good.didnt need to pay dear supplements they ask for.
overall..would stay again..nice bed..warm room..good staff...an identical shearing holiday..well priced so cant complain about lack of investment in decor for fhe last 30 years.............!

Room Tip: there were only ambassador rooms left,therefore cost £100 per room for 4 nights...uuuhh..apparently...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Fwahfwah
Thanks for your great comments we do pride ourselves on giving value for money on our breaks. The early you book the better chance you have of getting the room type you want. Hope you see again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is part of the Coast & Country chain, the hotel is at the top of a hill overlooking Bath. Only a 15 minute walk into Bath but 45 minute return due to the hill. Great exercise when you have had a cream team. Our stay was over 3 nights BB & Evening meal. We were given a family room which gave us plenty of space to spread ourselves out, the bed was large and the shower really good with plenty of power. Breakfast was very good we had the Full English and there were plenty of cereals and juices’. The evening meal was excellent with a varied choice on the set menu or for a supplement there were other choices. The meal was well presented and the service top class.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear PWaine
What a review thank you so much from all the staff including myself we love getting comments like this. We do try to do our best with what facilities we have.
Thanks again