“Very nice hotel but one or two minor problems”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel but one or two minor problems”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Took the wife here for her birthday. 2 night stay with dinner on the second night and some spa treatments. All in all a very nice hotel, large room (Jasmine), nice grounds, free car parking, lovely breakfast (included), good gym (could be a bit bigger) and very polite and courteous staff.

Dinner - we had the signature menu. Absolutely brilliant. Expensive but very tasty - made me wish I had got the main size portions for each of the dishes! Spa treatments again very good. Nice sauna and steam room but the wet area is let down by lack of a jacuzzi.

The only other 2 downsides were the excessive noise from the kitchen below our room on the Saturday night. This went on for a long while and prevented us from sleeping! However one phone call to reception and this problem was sorted out - very impressed. The second downside which bothered the wife more than me was that the floor of the pool was quite dirty and obviously needed a bit of a clean.

For these reasons I have not given the place 5/5 - but I would give it 4.5/5 if the scoring system allowed me.

Overall would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Bath.

Room Tip: Jasmine is a large room with a nice view of the gardens. But it overlies the kitchen (see my comment...
Caroline B, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Sid S

Thank you for taking the time to give such comprehensive feedback following your recent visit to The Bath Priory. I was so pleased that overall you enjoyed your couple of days with us. I was sorry to learn that you were disturbed by some noise from the kitchen, however, pleased to hear that this was rectified quickly once we were made aware. I have passed on your comments to the spa team and can only apologise for your wife finding the pool floor dirty, this is by no means our usual standard.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had stayed at Gidleigh Park last year and knew Bath Priory as its sister hotel so were really excited to visit. We stayed at the Priory for 3 nights for my birthday and everything about our stay was perfect. Our reception was warm and friendly, and we were immediately helped with out luggage. We stayed in Daffodil which is a beautiful room with lovely views over the gardens. The food at the Priory is FANTASTIC! We loved the risotto at lunch and the quail starter at dinner was heaven. The staff really are excellent. Nothing seemed too much trouble and we felt very looked after from the minute we arrived. I would love to visit agian. Perfect!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room wit a garden view.
Caroline B, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear MinkyOne1
I would like to thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback following your recent visit to The Bath Priory. Sam Moody, our head chef was particularly pleased to ready that you found his food fantastic! We all very much hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back for a future celebration.
oxford
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I decided to books two night stay at the bath priory based on this hotels good trip advisor feedback. I have stayed at many hotels over the years and I am only to aware of the standard of 4/5 star hotels in busy tourist towns, normally I am left disappointed. However this time I was in for a more than pleasant surprise.
We arrived at 8 pm and we were greeted by pressional, smart and friendly staff who opened the door for us and transferred our luggage to our room. We were pleased to see the hotel was smart, clean and tastefully decorated, this is often not the case in large, established hotels.
We went to our room to freshen up before our dinner reservation.
The room it's self was large and very well appointed. The sheets were crisp and white and the pillows were just soft enough! As we had a room with a garden view I took a peek out of the full length curtains to see a beautiful floodlit garden, a very pleasant surprise.
We went downstairs for dinner and were directed to a very nice drawing room for drinks and canapés. This gave my wife and I the opportunity to unwind after the journey and take the time to view the menu in a very relaxed environment. Again we were astounded by the level of service. We were advised on a choice of wine that went perfectly with our meal at a very reasonable price.
We were guided to our prepared table and waiting staff buzzed around us like bees with ruthless efficiency. The food was a delight, it is alway a worry when ordering food in a 5 star hotel as there is a preconception that value for money is not high on the list of priorities, however the bath priory did not fail to surprise once again as our meal came out at a very reason price for mind blowing quality.
We went bed with a full stomach and slept like a log. The next day we went down stairs for breakfast. As we expected it was fabulous! I ordered a kipper and it was high quality and cooked well.
The hotel manager came to talk to us at our table, it is so nice to be spoken to by a manager during a stay at hotel as it makes it clear that customer service is high on their list of priorities. We told her that we planned to visit bath to do some sight seeing and shopping, quick as a flash a map was given to us and as we wanted to go on foot the best route was highlighted for us, nice touch!!
We had a nice trip shopping but strangely both my wife and I wanted to get back as soon as possible to the tranquility of the hotel, so we cut short our shopping trip to return to the hotel for a treatment in the spa.
I decided to have a dip in the pool as my wife was having her treatment. Being a self confessed workaholic relaxing comes quite hard to me but after just half a full day at the bath priory I felt myself ebbing into a slightly dopey relaxed state with a permant, satisfied grin ( or smirk as my wife called it)
That evening we decided to travel to the cinema in bath ( as I promised my wife we would go and see "the artist") the hotel printed the showing times and booked us a taxi, life at the bath priory seems just so easy!
Again we cut our trip to the minimum to return to the hotel to enjoy a quiet drink in the lounge, by the log fire to reflect on the day.
After another very restful night, a final dip in the pool and a great full English breakfast it was time to leave. At that point an unfamiliar feeling began to set-in, it was sadness, sad that our weekend break was over? A little, but having to leave the priory seemed almost too sad to bear.
In summary, the Bath priory is simply the finest hotel in Bath. It has the whole package and the staff make the hotel run like clockwork. Bath is worth visiting just for this hotel. After writing this I am going to check my diary and book another trip.

Room Tip: A garden view just lovely.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is an expensive hotel and expectations were high ahead of our visit. We stayed B&B but also attended a special dinner hosted by Michael Caines.

From the moment we arrived our expectations were met, indeed exceeded. The staff and their level of service were all of the highest standard. Not over intrusive but just right and all were obviously proud of the hotel and its facilities.

Our room was on the second floor and although I beleive it was a "standard", it was certainly impressive in a grand country house style. Unusally the walls were covered in a loose fabric rather than paper - very effective.

The meal was superb and MC was an excellent host, explaining the background to each course alongside the sommelier who explained his choice of wine. The chef spoke to guests afterwards and was also pleasant and down to earth. They are seeking a Michelin star and whilst no expert - I think they deserve it for serving one of my all time great meals. Breakfast was equally as impressive next morning overlooking the frosted lawns

Downsides - well the spa was shut for refurbishment but this was pre-advised. The only other slight niggle was that the shower mechanism fell apart whiilst in use but only minor and certainly didnt spoil the stay.

I'd love to return - I must start saving now!

Somerset
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We attended a lunch with Michael Caines organised by the Theatre Royal and have to say that the whole event was an absolute delight.
The hotel and staff are excellent - very comfortable lounge areas.
The food was quite simply superb and we could not fault any aspect from the presentation to the staff and service.
What an excellent experience.
We certainly intend to return!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Sadly although the Priory looks beautiful and has an elegant setting, it lacks honesty. I would advise you to be very careful with your personal items. One of my items, of reasonable value went missing during my stay.
Otherwise the hotel lacked character usually found in a hotel bar, but there is no bar. My opinion is that you should only stay here if you get a deal, otherwise it's certainly not worth it.

Room Tip: Overlooking the back/gardens is less noisy than the front.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Caroline B, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
We are truly saddened to read this review and for the lady concerned to have such a scathing opinion of us. The alleged theft is exactly that, an allegation. There was never a chance to substantiate that the item was at the hotel or indeed removed from the lady's ownership.
I would very much like to reassure guests of the fact that there are safes in our bedrooms for their peace of mind and that allegations such as this are extremely rare.
London, UK
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Everything about the Bath Priory is well-appointed, from the sitting rooms downstairs, the dining areas and fitness centre to the bedrooms. The service was first class from the moment we arrived to a warm welcome. The restaurant, which seemed to attract a lot of non-residents, was excellent, again with good service, well-executed and original dishes and notably fine bread! Going in January it was a shame not to have the opportunity to enjoy the gardens in their pomp, but we were able to appreciate them from the warmth of indoors. The one minor issue to point out is that Bath Priory is about a 20 minute walk from the centre of Bath, but that walk can take you past the Royal Crescent and nearby Circus and in fact a stroll is just what you need after enjoying the fine cuisine of Bath Priory!

• Stayed January 2012