“Don't go here if you actually want a drink!!”
Review of The Confessional - CLOSED

The Confessional
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: High quality wine, speciality cocktails and local craft beer for locals in the know. #NeedToTalk We do accept bookings for groups up to 12 persons. Especially in Fridays and Saturdays, to avoid any disappointment we highly suggest to book in advance.
Reviewed October 20, 2016

I booked a table here for my sisters birthday. In hindsight, even booking the table was hard work! I attempted to call a few times, 4 weeks before the booking, and no-one picked up. I then sent an email. Over a week later, I'd had no response so I called again. After probably 8 attempts, I managed to make a booking.

The following day, I received a response to my email..! Anyway, I received a call on the day of the booking to inform me that they only hold the table for 15 minutes and advise us to arrive on time.

I arrived bang on time and waited by the entrance to be seated with our group. After 10 minutes of being completely ignored by staff walking past us, I approached one of the waiters who acknowledged me with annoyance and told me he was busy and would have to come back. 20 minutes after our booking time, we still hadn't been seated. After asking again, the rude waiter returned to inform us that they'd given our table to someone else by mistake and would have to find somewhere to move the other group to.

When we finally got seated, it took another 30 minutes for someone to take our order and our first drink arrived another 30 minutes later! An hour from seating to drink!

This was how the night continued! No word of a lie, every round took an hour! We started ordering two drinks each every round but in the 4 hours we were there, we only managed to get 4 drinks.

At one point, I actually told the waiter that we'd only had 2 drinks in 2 hours and he replied 'Well I haven't had a drink all shift'.

This place is badly run, the staff have seriously bad attitudes and you'd be better off in a bar who a) want you to be there and b) where you can get a drink!

1  Thank FCAW
Alexb1982, Manager at The Confessional, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2016

Hello FCAW, I am sincerely sorry to hear that you had a so bad experience in our place. As I have mentioned on the review after yours, that we are looking daily for new high quality staff members and my focus is specifically on their training! We are in the process as well to improve our booking system to make less disappointing and more reactive. That Saturday you came to I do remember that was a group of 6 people who we let sat temporary on your table (not more than 5 minutes) and because they were aware of it, they moved straight away from it to another table. I sincerely apologize for the waiting between the hosting time and the actual time when you seated, hoping that you will give us second chance. Kind regards, Alex

Reviewed October 15, 2016 via mobile

The worst service I have received in ten years!! The manager comment when we complained that our drinks had not arrived " I haven't had a drink either yet". Not enough staff for a busy bar. Poor waitress sent to make excuses for our poor service. That should be the role of the manager not the staff. Liked the bar but wouldn't recommend it to anyone as you'll just end your night frustrated by long waiting times and poor excuses....

1  Thank Lee W

Hello Lee W, first of all I am deeply sorry for your experience in our bar! I have recently take over from the previous management and surely staff training it will be my focal point all along with as well speed of service (bar and waiting tables). The bartender who was hosting on that night, he wasn't the manager, he has been recently receiving a warning and soon he won't be anymore part of our team. Unfortunately, I have to admit that we are understaffed, but in the same time we try our best to make our guests happy, which isn't your case. These above are not excuses. I hope soon to see to again to prove our best. Best regards, Alex

Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

Tried phoning numerous times all day on Friday with no answer and also sent an email. Had been trying to get a table for the following night which I knew was probably a long shot but I wanted to try as Confessional came highly recommended.

No response at all on the Friday to the phone or email. Called Saturday morning to ask about a table for that night, the lady on the end of the phone clarified "tonight?" Didn't ask what time/for how many etc, I said "yes please, I know it's probably a long shot", she laughed and said "no" before putting the phone down.

Will now never visit Confessional who clearly think their underground location and hip reputation make them too good for actual customer service.

The Dark Horse bent over backwards to accommodate us and really topped off a great weekend - they get 5 stars from us!

1  Thank Ally_McNally
Callum R, Manager at The Confessional, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2016

Good Afternoon Ally,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us, we pride ourselves on a high standard of costumer service, I'm sorry no one managed to get back to you on the Friday as I'm sure you can understand over the weekend we are very busy and as we are only small team and don't have someone dedicated to answering the phone and emails over our busy periods. I have spoken to the member of staff that you spoke to on the phone and she assures me she did not mean for her response to come across in that way and send her apologies. As I said earlier we pride ourselves on a high standard of costumer service and hope you will visit us again so we can give you the proper Confessional experience.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kindest Regards
Callum Rixson

Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

Chilled, ambient and great vibes and staff!

Thanks to Victoria and the manager guy with the hat for a great evening

R

Date of experience: September 2016

Hello RM16993, it is great to hear that you had a great experience in your bar! We hope to see you soon... Alex