“A shame”
Review of The Confessional - CLOSED

The Confessional
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: High quality wine, speciality cocktails and local craft beer for locals in the know. #NeedToTalk We do accept bookings for groups up to 12 persons. Especially in Fridays and Saturdays, to avoid any disappointment we highly suggest to book in advance.
Reviewed January 1, 2017 via mobile

Went here for pre work Christmas dinner drinks. We had to book three months in advance to secure a table for an hour.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the space and the drinks were very good. It was just a shame that in the hour our orders were only taken three times. We would have spent a lot more if we were better tended to and so I can only conclude that they need more staff on the floor during busy periods

Reviewed December 31, 2016 via mobile

Was recommended by a friend and it didn't disappoint. Was fun just finding the place.
Great cocktails / service and prices.
Have to read some of the confessions......

Reviewed October 28, 2016

A great bar if you want to wait over half an hour for an overpriced drink. But as my friends and I were there for celebratory drinks and our waiter was very pleasant, we didn't mind the bad service so much. But things got really bad when the bill arrived. A misunderstanding between my friend and the waiter resulted in her getting 2 drinks that weren't in the offer she thought the waiter had said they were in. Although we weren't impressed by the waiter's defensive reaction, a second (also pleasant) waiter brought over a new bill with both of the drinks removed so we were happy. Until the "head bartender" came over and was very hostile and aggressive towards us. We couldn't understand what the problem was as we were happy with the new bill, which she swiftly took back and put the 2 drinks back on, saying she couldn't be giving away drinks for free. I can't believe the way we were spoken to or the disorganised, atrocious service. It ruined what was meant to be a night of celebrations and I will never, ever be going back here.

Alexb1982, Manager at The Confessional, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2016

Hello Manthaaaaaa,

when you came over was a Wednesday night and it wasn't busy. I am sorry to hear that you have been waiting long for you drinks and surely what you have been experienced wasn't our usual service. I do apologise for the behaviour of our staff, I will investigate further. Confessional is a chill out bar, we give cucumber water to each table, spend some time describing our cocktails deal and as well good time with our guests, therefore the minimum time is just seated at the table is 15 minutes. You with your group ordered as well an old fashioned plus few more cocktails part of our 2 for 12£ deal. Often our deals are easily messed up by our guests with our signature's and other classic cocktails (in your case the old fashioned - not even mentioned in our menu, not easily to be confused in our deal) therefore all staff members are aware to mentioned clearly and explain this in details. Surely the whole experience wasn't memorable for all of you. I hope you will be back to give us a second chance.

Reviewed October 24, 2016

We went here for a pre-dinner drink. The ambience and decor are great and it was a nice place to have a drink. We both had a cocktail which was very good, though I would say it did seem to take a long time to arrive given it wasn't that busy and compared to other cocktail bars I've been to the selection of drinks was not that wide. I think it would be fun to go there as a group and get one of the alcoves for the night.

Alexb1982, Manager at The Confessional, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2016

Hello Lorddoglet, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time and drinks with us. We have few new staff members in training that's why most probably you were waiting for drinks. Our menu is predominantly focused our signature cocktail and few more classics, but we are more than happy to get off our menu as soon we have the ingredients and as well customize you own so this can keep high up our creativity. Hoping to see you soon again, Alex

See more reviews
Reviewed October 20, 2016

I booked a table here for my sisters birthday. In hindsight, even booking the table was hard work! I attempted to call a few times, 4 weeks before the booking, and no-one picked up. I then sent an email. Over a week later, I'd had no response so I called again. After probably 8 attempts, I managed to make a booking.

The following day, I received a response to my email..! Anyway, I received a call on the day of the booking to inform me that they only hold the table for 15 minutes and advise us to arrive on time.

I arrived bang on time and waited by the entrance to be seated with our group. After 10 minutes of being completely ignored by staff walking past us, I approached one of the waiters who acknowledged me with annoyance and told me he was busy and would have to come back. 20 minutes after our booking time, we still hadn't been seated. After asking again, the rude waiter returned to inform us that they'd given our table to someone else by mistake and would have to find somewhere to move the other group to.

When we finally got seated, it took another 30 minutes for someone to take our order and our first drink arrived another 30 minutes later! An hour from seating to drink!

This was how the night continued! No word of a lie, every round took an hour! We started ordering two drinks each every round but in the 4 hours we were there, we only managed to get 4 drinks.

At one point, I actually told the waiter that we'd only had 2 drinks in 2 hours and he replied 'Well I haven't had a drink all shift'.

This place is badly run, the staff have seriously bad attitudes and you'd be better off in a bar who a) want you to be there and b) where you can get a drink!

1  Thank FCAW

Hello FCAW, I am sincerely sorry to hear that you had a so bad experience in our place. As I have mentioned on the review after yours, that we are looking daily for new high quality staff members and my focus is specifically on their training! We are in the process as well to improve our booking system to make less disappointing and more reactive. That Saturday you came to I do remember that was a group of 6 people who we let sat temporary on your table (not more than 5 minutes) and because they were aware of it, they moved straight away from it to another table. I sincerely apologize for the waiting between the hosting time and the actual time when you seated, hoping that you will give us second chance. Kind regards, Alex