Review Highlights

What a gem

Reviewed September 17, 2018
Langport1
via mobile

All reviews cycle route strawberry wine railway inn off road thatchers cider enjoyable walk home made cakes cheddar reservoir lovely walk sandford yatton shelve cyclists bike tunnel chute track
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Walk this route most days with my dog. So lovely and peaceful. A very pretty walk. Stop off on weekends (when open, April to September)at the Sandford Railway Station for a cuppa and homemade cake. Can get busy at times with runners and cyclists along the route. Cyclists....would really appreciate a warning, bell or call out when approaching! Other great places for a coffee stop are The Pantry and Charlotte's Tea Rooms in Winscombe. And they welcome dogs!

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

We have cycled this route many times now, although this time we found the Railway Inn, wow, what a find! Shute Shelve is an isolated car park and on our return after cycling to Yatton, there were a few bikers smoking drugs. Didn't feel threatened, yet a strong message to hide valuables. Love the cycle, such a great cycle path.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

I have walked various sections of the Strawberry Line but most often the section from Yatton to Sandford. The route is generally tidy and well maintained, this section is mostly level. Along the way it is interesting to see the change of seasons. In the spring there is a lot of blossom to see along the way, and by August (2018) there was a bountiful crop of berries ripening. Also plenty of apples in Thatchers orchards at Sandford where I called into the Railway Inn for welcome refreshment (of cider of course!). The Old Inn at Congresbury is also lovely and worth a visit.

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

This is a flat and well sign posted route that was suitable for our young children (youngest was 5). There are a couple of roads that you use for a short while but they are quiet country lanes.

It’s busy with loads of other family’s, walkers and runners and has a great atmosphere along the way.

We stopped for lunch at the Railway Inn in Sandford which was a great spot for everyone.

A cheap and easy afternoon fun, and gets the kids out of puff so they sleep well which is a bonus!

1  Thank Ash2212
Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

£15 for full day cycle hire, worth it. Great cycle track and everyone on it friendly. Great views and particularly enjoyed Axbridge. Must do whilst in Cheddar xx

Reviewed August 8, 2018

Lovely place to go for a bike ride. I am not very fit but could manage the lanes quite well. Very enjoyable. We stopped half way for a cup of tea and to pick some blackberries!

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

We decided to go on the Strawberry Line cycle route this morning from Lower weare so we had a short journey on the A38 to begin with. The Strawberry Line cycle route is lovely, it was very hot so the shade of the trees was welcome. The tunnel at Winscombe was fine apart from people walking through with dogs and you couldn't see them until the last minute despite having my lights on. From reading one or two of the reviews I expected the tunnel to be pretty bad but it was actually tarmaced with cats eyes so you could easily see where the path was. The only thing I thought could be better was the gates that some people can ride through but my handlebars were slightly too wide so i had to get off and take the handlebars through at an angle. This was rather difficult as I had a trailer on the back. The countryside was lovely and there was a lot of people using the route. When we got to Yatton we stopped at the Strawberry Line cafe at Yatton station. There were numerous cyclists there, obviously an ideal location. Cakes were homemade and very nice.

1  Thank Karen D
Reviewed June 18, 2018

They have done a wonderful job here. Perfect place to stop off on a Sunday whilst walking the old trackbed.

Reviewed June 7, 2018

I parked up at Yatton railway station and visited the historic Strawberry Line Cafe which is lovely. The nice staff there gave me a free cycling map of the route. I then got on my mountain bike and took off South down the track. The track is in great condition although was a little bumpy in places. The views are stunning right from the start and change a lot depending on the geography. It's hard to find the words to describe some of the feelings that come to me along my ride inspired by the sights, smells and sounds. Crossing fields, over streams and waterways. Through wooded areas, apple orchards and peaceful sleepy villages. There are many spectacles to be viewed. From simple pretty ones to epic ones such as the Winscombe tunnel which is very impressive, dark and memorable. It's a bright sunny weekday in early June so everything is new and in full bloom. Even better most people are at work. There is lots of wildlife to be seen such as wildfowl, birds of prey, deer, small mammals, fish, butterflies etc. There are only a few roads to ride along but are very quiet going through Axbridge then into Cheddar. At the end of the track in Cheddar, there is a bicycle shop which is very handy. They even do repairs and servicing. It's a shame that the line doesn't continue off road for cyclists and I hope in the future that they extend it. But visiting Cheddar is enough as it's a pretty town with plenty of places to eat and drink this time of year. Then there's the famous Cheddar Gorge which is a trip more for hiking than biking. Although you can ride up through it if you're feeling strong enough. Cheddar reservoir is worth a look too. It's 11 miles between Yatton and Cheddar so it's best to pace oneself. --- I'm 40 (feel like 20) with average fitness and it only took me 1 hour 45 minutes to ride at a moderate speed to Cheddar from my starting point. On my way back, the sun sank lower in the sky and created a beautiful golden light and with my yellow tinted sunglasses, it added to an even more magical looking ride home. I thought to myself. This simple day has been one of the best days of my life!

2  Thank Mike-From-8000-Miles
Reviewed May 25, 2018

Those TA reviews which referred to the diversion can now be discounted as the work has now finished. Hurrah!
Lovely food and drink at the Thatchers Cider place (Railway Inn) at Sandford.

3  Thank PitneyClaret