“Lovely peaceful place for a cuppa”
Review of Strawberry Line

Strawberry Line
Reviewed June 18, 2018

They have done a wonderful job here. Perfect place to stop off on a Sunday whilst walking the old trackbed.

Date of experience: May 2018
"wildlife"
in 7 reviews
"chute"

Reviewed June 7, 2018

I parked up at Yatton railway station and visited the historic Strawberry Line Cafe which is lovely. The nice staff there gave me a free cycling map of the route. I then got on my mountain bike and took off South down the track. The track is in great condition although was a little bumpy in places. The views are stunning right from the start and change a lot depending on the geography. It's hard to find the words to describe some of the feelings that come to me along my ride inspired by the sights, smells and sounds. Crossing fields, over streams and waterways. Through wooded areas, apple orchards and peaceful sleepy villages. There are many spectacles to be viewed. From simple pretty ones to epic ones such as the Winscombe tunnel which is very impressive, dark and memorable. It's a bright sunny weekday in early June so everything is new and in full bloom. Even better most people are at work. There is lots of wildlife to be seen such as wildfowl, birds of prey, deer, small mammals, fish, butterflies etc. There are only a few roads to ride along but are very quiet going through Axbridge then into Cheddar. At the end of the track in Cheddar, there is a bicycle shop which is very handy. They even do repairs and servicing. It's a shame that the line doesn't continue off road for cyclists and I hope in the future that they extend it. But visiting Cheddar is enough as it's a pretty town with plenty of places to eat and drink this time of year. Then there's the famous Cheddar Gorge which is a trip more for hiking than biking. Although you can ride up through it if you're feeling strong enough. Cheddar reservoir is worth a look too. It's 11 miles between Yatton and Cheddar so it's best to pace oneself. --- I'm 40 (feel like 20) with average fitness and it only took me 1 hour 45 minutes to ride at a moderate speed to Cheddar from my starting point. On my way back, the sun sank lower in the sky and created a beautiful golden light and with my yellow tinted sunglasses, it added to an even more magical looking ride home. I thought to myself. This simple day has been one of the best days of my life!

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank Mike-From-8000-Miles
Reviewed May 25, 2018

Those TA reviews which referred to the diversion can now be discounted as the work has now finished. Hurrah!
Lovely food and drink at the Thatchers Cider place (Railway Inn) at Sandford.

Date of experience: May 2018
3  Thank PitneyClaret
Reviewed February 6, 2018

Whilst staying in Wells we decided to walk some of the Strawberry Line having read reviews on Tripadvisor. We caught a bus to Winscombe, 'picked up' the Strawberry Line there, walked to Axbridge (diversions are easy to follow), where we stopped for refreshments. We carried on following the cycle route towards Cheddar but crossed the road and walked down to the Reservoir, just look out for the Reservoir sign. At the Reservoir, walk to the right and just over half way round you are able to go through a gate and carry on towards Cheddar back on the Strawberry Line. This really was a lovely walk and we'll be retracing our steps when we return to Wells in September.

Date of experience: February 2018