“Lovely Cottage”
other travellers have booked this property
Lilac Cottage, Thatched House and gardens View to Glastonbury Tor
Secret Picnic Area
Secret Picnic Area
Views to Glastonbury Tor from the Secret Picnic Area
Some of our Chickens
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

David B
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Lovely Cottage”
Reviewed September 5, 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

After reading other people's reviews, I just thought I'd drop a quick note to update a few things mentioned in them.
We stayed for a couple of nights as we wanted to visit Bath and Glastonbury. Instead of paying Bath hotel prices, we stayed at Lilac Cottage which was brilliant value for money and a very lovely place.
It's very clean, very well equipped: The kitchen has loads of cookware, (one review mentioned bad saucepans - These have definitely been replaced) saucepans, frying pan, baking tins, casserole dish, all sorts. There's also a barbeque which we used on our first night. So bring some charcoal with you (although there is a Tesco and Morrisons both about 10 mins drive away). Even BBQ utensils are provided! There's an oven, a 4 ring ceramic hob and a fridge freezer.

The TV is great and has HDMI inputs on it. There is also an ipod dock (not for ipod/iphone 5 or above without an adaptor).

The beds are very comfortable (one previous review moaned about them - well that's been addressed too) My and my partner slept upstairs in the double bed and my son slept in the twin room downstairs, we all slept like logs!)
Note: the stairs are pretty steep so please bear that in mind if you have mobility issues and want the double bed.
There is a bath with a shower over it. The shower is very good but one tip is to put the hot water on at the boiler otherwise it runs out after one shower but if the boiler's on then no problem.
The central heating works great too.

The owners are very nice people but unless you need them, you won't see them as they let you enjoy your time there in peace.

Now a quick point about the location to clarify. If you're after a cottage in the middle of nowhere with no road nearby and just the sound of sheep and birds, this isn't the one.
It is on a main road. However it is set back from the road and is double glazed so noise isn't an issue at all, and it's not a mad busy road anyway.
If you're after somewhere that looks great, has everything you need (even the use of a washing machine!) that is in easy reach of Bath (30 mins) , Glastonbury (5 mins) or the coast (20 - 25 mins) so you have a good choice of places to go, then this is for you!
It's fantastic and I highly recommend it!!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
6 Sep 2015
Many thanks for your lovely feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we would love to welcome you back anytime.
Graham P
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed June 11, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Lilac cottage is a quaint cottage with lots of character. 2 miles from Glastonbury it is a fabulous base to work from. We were lucky with the weather and had a fantastic stay. Would highly recommend you stay here if visiting the area.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
12 Jun 2015
It was lovely to have you stay and look forward to seeing you again sometime.
sarah b
“Left a day earlier than planned it was that bad”
Reviewed May 17, 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

I don't know where to start. So first of all when we arrived to find that the property is on the side of a sign makers shop and the drive way was shared with that and the adjoining house. Not great when there is big trucks dropping of deliveries constantly making parking very hard. Also the workers were there from 6 in the morning till gone 10 at night and every thing could be heard in the downstairs bedroom making an early night or a lay in impossible and not a relaxing place to be at all. there was glass on the floor in the property when we had two dogs with us making this not a brilliant start! Had a quick mop round of the floor to make sure it was safe. Then there was the fact that there was no central heating even when we switched it on. The temperature dial was screwed in to place so it couldn't be adjusted and with it being an old building it was cold constantly. It's advertised as being disability friendly and yes there's a bedroom downstairs. That's the long and short of it. The stairs are VERY steep to the upstairs double bed and the bath is very precarious when your getting out. I suffer really bad vertigo and often loose my balance so this was not great with nothing around to help you get out. The bath was also dirty when we arrived. The shower has two settings, boiling or freezing and there's only enough hot water for one person to have a shower at a time. The kitchen was clean on the surface but when you go to get anything out the draws and cupboards to cook or eat with it was all dirty and unusable. Luckily we had a friend who lived 30mins away so we drove there when it came to meal times. The pub next door was also lovely and have a few veggie options which was great! When it came to bed time there was no way I could manage the stairs so myself and my partner spent 2 nights curled up in a single bed! After all of this we decided to call it a day and disappointingly left for home a day early. Great location to Glastonbury on the good side!

18 May 2015
My apologies for the delivery trucks which were present at 4 pm when you arrived, this was unusual but it is clear from our advert that the property is shared with our own. I would state that no work is carried out in the workshop outside the hours of 8.30am and 7.00pm and certainly none at 6.00am. I believe the glass you found was from a glass you broke during your stay and all crockery, cutlery and the bathroom was clean before your arrival. I was not notified of any problems during your stay at all and when I enquired I was told everything is all okay. Yes, the stairs to the second bedroom are steep but it is clearly stated in our advert that this is the case and that the downstairs bedroom has twin beds. I would mention that you felt it safe enough to leave your dogs unattended in the property for long periods of time against terms of the booking. I feel therefore this review is a grossly unfair view of our cottage, which whilst not perfect is appropriately described, clean and well maintained.
Pelster20...
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed April 4, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

We stayed as a family of 4, my husband and 5 year old twin boys. We stayed from the 29th March- 2nd April 2015. The cottage was very well equipped with all the things we needed and it in a great location for visiting all the near by attractions. We ate at the pub next door which serves basic food, you can better food and a friendlier atmosphere eating at Rose & Portcullis in Butleigh which is less than 5 miles away.

We visited Wookey Hole which was not worth the money. We did the Glastonbury Tor which was great, it was very windy day which the children really loved because you felt like you were flying. We went to LongLeat which was amazing and worth every penny. If were to visit again we would do the combine deal of cheddar Gorge and Longleat.

Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Mr Geoff...
“Excellent base for exploring the area”
Reviewed March 24, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

Very nice comfortable cottage, good for being able to take dogs, need to be careful with the kettle as it doesn't pour well but that's the only criticism, well appointed very clean and nice people

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: location
Liked least: kettle
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers People with pets
25 Mar 2015
We are glad you enjoyed your stay, I will look again at the kettle and see if it needs replacement. We would love to welcome you and your lovely dogs back to expore some more.
Robin E
“Lovely cottage”
Reviewed March 8, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

We had a lovely time at Lilac Cottage, we'd definitely go again, and very well might!

Very convenient for Glastonbury, only a short drive away.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Families with young children People with pets
Julia C
“Reasonable but not Special”
Reviewed February 27, 2015 for a stay in February 2015

The location of Lilac cottage is convenient, easy to find and could be the let you are looking for if you are seeking a reasonably priced get away to Glastonbury. It was not however, the peaceful retreat that I had envisioned, perhaps because I had hoped for greater levels of quiet and comfort. The proximity to the main road meant that I was very conscious of traffic noise in the morning, there was a lot of heavy goods traffic. Perhaps this may not be a problem for you if you are used to traffic noise but I found it disruptive. I struggled a bit with the steep stairs up to the loft bedroom which taxed my knees, the bannister rails felt a bit insecure and perhaps need a check up for tightness. Upstairs the headroom for my tall 6ft 6 husband was limited. I found the couch in the living area uncomfortable and this meant that I did not really relax in the way I had hoped would be possible. There were a number of frustrations like a kettle that sploshed water when pouring, pots and pans with non stick material scuffed away and rusting at the base which made basic catering a bit lack luster. I enjoyed a lovely hot bath, and the excellent water pressure made showering a pleasure. The owners were helpful and unobtrusive. I would recommend this let? Yes I think you could have a pleasant stay at Lilac Cottage if you are happy with a basic level of accommodation.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Hot shower with great water pressure.
Liked least: Traffic noise
Travelling group: Young Children
28 Feb 2015
My apologies if you found the road too noisy, we do advertise well that we are on an A road but set well back. The saucepans were only mentioned to me the week before your stay and I have already replaced these now with new stainless steel to prevent the issue reoccurring.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing