“Not as good as other TGI Friday's”

TGI Friday's - Teesside
Price range: US$49 - US$196
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2018

Went here after visiting the cinema as we'd been to other TGI Friday's but never this one. The smoothies that my wife and I had were more slush puppy than smooth and refreshing, and the new cardboard straws which we were told they had to change to (they don't use them in the Newcastle one), split in half after five minutes. Portion size was good but the burgers taste dry. The sundae's are also missing the cherry's on top. That might be nit-picking but if they are shown with them on in the menu, then that is what you should receive

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Me and my Partner came for this last year and we really enjoyed it, the choices were incredible and the food tasted delicious. We recently looked on the Menu again for this appetiser deal and it was disappointing, a very expensive price for not a lot of choice, it needs to go back to the older menu and we would come for it again

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Overall, the food is very nice. However, it is not worth the £21.99 that you pay per person for the 3-course menu. Staff are always brilliant there so cannot complain there! There are cheaper and better Christmas Menu's out there from similar restuarants.

Reviewed March 20, 2018

Visited for a family celebration on a Saturday teatime. The restaurant was busy and quite noisy but it is perfect if you have children and expect a little chaos. Our waitress was Elle who was very pleasant and helpful, ensuring she had all our orders correct and we were given the opportunity to have the children’s meals served with our starters. All nine meals were served together and exactly as we ordered. The Jack Daniel’ s glaze was served with various meals and it is amazing - I wish it was available to buy separately. Every meal was delicious - we ordered steak, sea bass, burgers and kids meals and we had clean plates all round. The Asian slaw was also delicious and adds a fantastic flavour. Yes it was busy and we had to wait a while but food and service was excellent. Thank you we will be back

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

This was from the day shift on Saturday 3rd March and about the male shift manager working that day.

A dubious start to a review which ended with my 9 year old daughter in tears but this is by no means a bad review. This is praise for a manager that takes his job very seriously and the safety of his customers with regards to allergies.

We'll start with the usual, we arrived just after lunch time, the restaurant was extremely busy and we had to wait at the bar before being seated. After about 20 minutes we got to our seats and were ready to order after deciding whilst waiting.

I ordered the gravy seal, my wife the Bruce Lee, my son a kids pizza and my daughter the bbq ribs. My daughter has multiple allergies which include food allergies such as soya, seeds and nuts being the most severe. Reaction to these can result in anaphylactic shock.

From previous experiences when ordering the manager pops over to check on allergies to cross reference with their ingredients chart. He did this and was very thorough in his cross examination and she was fine to have her choice.

The food took time to arrive but like mentioned earlier it was extremely busy so there was no need to complain. The serving staff kept us topped up with drinks and came over to see if we were okay which is nice rather than just being left.

The food arrived, everything how we expected. Mine was delicious, my wife enjoyed hers although she admitted she bit off more than she could chew with the jalapeños, my son enjoyed his pizza and my daughter was delighted to have her ribs.

Once that settled our table was cleared of clutter and we decided on deserts. Again we ordered and the manager came over to check off what my daughter couldn't have.
A little time passed and we still hadn't received our deserts. The manager returned to check on a few details as he'd been checking packets against the allergin charts. He went away again and shortly after all deserts bar my daughters arrived.

Shortly after the manager came with her dessert. She got upset as it wasn't what she'd asked for. She wanted a fairground dessert which was doughnuts, popcorn, ice cream and chocolate sauce. He brought her pretty much a sweet shop dessert which was the same just with a variety of sweets instead of popcorn and doughnuts. She was upset as she had, had this in other TGI restaurants before but this manager wasn't prepared to.

He explained that the had checked the charts, then checked the packaging to be sure and when everything on the chart seemed fine the packaging said otherwise. The packaging had nuts on it making the charts wrong. With this he wasn't prepared to serve her the desert she wanted.

In our experience a lot of products have on the packaging 'may contain' on it which means its prepared in a factory that have nuts in it but not in that area. Cross contamination may result in extreme circumstances a rogue nut in that product. With that my daughter would usually be okay to have that.

We did explain that to the manager but he wasn't prepared to risk it. He also informed us that at TGI's there were not supposed to be anything containing nuts in their restaurants. As much as it upset my daughter I had to have respect for the manager for taking responsibility and not allowing her to have it for her own safety.

He gave us her desert for free due to the inconvenience and informed us that he would be contacting head office with regards to the charts not matching the ingredients on the packaging. Sometimes suppliers change recipes ever so slightly you wouldn't think of checking ingredients if it's something used regularly. We found this with kitkats. We could buy them in say B&M and they were fine to have but we got some from the supermarket and the ingredients contained soya.

The manager took great responsibility and care with the issue of allergies. He went the extra mile to check. He was also sympathetic she couldn't have everything she wanted although he looked like her felt a little awkward because of it. My wife and I were happy with his decision but we did query how come she was quite freely given the dessert in other TGI restaurants.

Were they just relying on the charts in saying the products were fine or are they not checking as they should? Its certainly an issue to be looked into. As for the Teesside restaurant I know its a safe place for my daughter to eat as long as managers like that particular shift manager are around. He deserves a pat on the back!