“Good in all respects” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Good in all respects”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed for one night last week. The hotel was completely refurbished in early 2011 and it shows. The rooms and public areas are very clean, smart and well decorated. The bar and restaurant are very smart and tasteful.

The staff were all very friendly & helpful.

I look forward to staying there again. Aldeburgh is beautiful

Room Tip: Overlooking the sea is a must
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Short, Sweet and straight to the point. Thank you! See you again soon. Best Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Six of us (3 couples) stayed at The White Lion this week-end to celebrate a special birthday. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left we were so well looked after and nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms were clean, spacious and we had a great sea view. We had a lovely meal on the Friday night which turned into rather a late night and I think one of the reasons for that was that we relaxed and enjoyed the cosy atmosphere of the hotel. Breakfast was delicious with a lovely choice. We have all said we would like to visit the hotel once a year from now on because we have such great memories.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 186338Paradise
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Wow, thank you so much! The White Lion and indeed Aldeburgh is the perfect location for friends to relax and unwind and of course catch up over a drink or two. It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay. Best Wishes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

Two night weekend whilst bird watching at Minsmere. Staff very friendly, breakfasts good. I decided to eat dinner elsewhere, but the brasserie looked good and was busy both nights.
I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2012
I am pleased that you enjoyed time with us and your breakfast with us too. The Brasserie for lunch and dinner is very popular for locals aswell as our residents. The room prices do move up and down with demand and of course the type of room. The website is the best place to find our latest offers and packages, so ensure you are on our mailing list. stay in toucn and see you again soon. Best Wishes
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I was really looking forward to staying here and I'd booked a two night stay in a superior sea view room as a birthday surprise for my husband.

I spoke to the hotel a number of times via email and phone as I was concerned that there were not many room photos on the website and I wanted to make sure I could see exactely what the room was like before I booked it.
I am particularly fussy about bathrooms and I wanted the bathroom that has been completely refurbished (brown with white tiles, as shown on the website). I emailed, asking if the room she'd suggested was on the website and did it have the same bathroom as shown in the photo? The receptionist replied, saying yes, all rooms and bathrooms have been fully refurbished and all photos are on the website. She said room 14 is their best room, so I was delighted and said ok, please request this room for us.

I was so disappointed when I arrived in the room. It was nothing like the photos and it wasn't modern. You could see it had been refurbished in areas and overall it was ok decor wise but traditionally furnished and not what I was expecting. The room chairs had been re upholstered and new curtains, but it did still have the old mahogany furniture and needed a re-paint around the windows for example. Lots of cold air coming in from the large window, so would get cold in the winter I expect, although they do provide a seperate heater.
There was a tiny TV with hardly any channels, seemed to be a DVD built into TV but we didn't use it. Bathrobes were provided as stated but no slippers.(no big deal though!)
The bathroom was horrible and had old fashioned marble swirly patterns on the tiles, exposed pipes and had the original bath/loo/sink/bidet that needed replacing. It had been regrouted by the look of it though and the shower looked new and had different new/modern tiles behind it.
So if it has been refurbished, it has been done in a half hearted way.
If this is their best room, why won't they show a photo on the website?
I get the impression they want you to think it's modern and new throughout, so only show the other rooms it would seem.

On a positive note though, a nice sea view from the room. We had a peep next door at the other superior room (12A) and our one did look nicer than that!
We also looked at room 1 and 4 at the other end of the corridor. They were standard sea and inland rooms. They were much smaller and although cheaply furnished, were like the ones shown on the web and had modern furnishings with the nice bathroom. (I would have preferred the sea view room one of these really).

Sorry to go on (if you are still here!) but one last thing..keep an eye on the room prices as they seem to go up and down. I'd looked at the late rate on the website and rang to book. The receptionist emailed me confirmation with the same rate for both nights but the total added to £20 more than rate shown. I rang straight back and she said, Oh I see what you mean..it must be VAT? I'll get the head receptionist to call you tomorrow. She never did call back so I called her two days later. She said it's dearer for the Friday night so that's why it's £20 more. I replied that it's not what I'd been sent on my confirmation or what I saw on the website, but I wasn't prepared to argue over £20 as I was looking forward to staying with them. So I paid the total they had asked for.

At check-out when asked if everything was ok, I was telling the receptionist all of these concerns mentioned above and the general manager walked by just as she was saying, sorry about that...but was everything else ok? Now if I was the general manager, my ears would have pricked up and I'd have spoken to that guest immediately.

The other thing was, they knew it was a birthday so it would have been a nice touch if they'd had left a card in the room or say a Happy Birthday, but nothing! Dosen't cost them anything.

I will add photos of superior sea view room 14 for you all to see and you may love it, but it just wasn't to my taste or standard sadly.

Room Tip: Sea View room is nicer but if you want modern, go for standard sea view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Londontraveller008
Ibiza, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I took my two children to the The White Lion (11 and 9) for the Easter weekend. Very good breakfast, we also had some friends joined us and we ate in the private dining room. The service and food were excellent and I have to say that the bill was very reasonable too! We will definitely be back, especially when the weather is warmer - I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Great to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you will come back and see us soon. Best Wishes
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We have just returned from a two-night Easter break at The White Lion and can thoroughly recommend this lovely hotel/restaurant. Peter and all his team were exceptionally welcoming, friendly and helpful. Accommodation and food both of a high standard. It is expensive for Suffolk but worth it overall, we felt. We would definitely stay again if we return to this part of the world.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you! I am pleased to read you enjoyed Easter with us. I do hope to see return back to the White Lion very soon. Best Wishes
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

From the minute we walked in to the time we left we had excellent sevice.
The hotel is in an excellent location, it is clean and well maintained.The food was delicious and there was always service with a smile.We were travelling as a family group and we were made to feel very welcome and the children were well atteneded to.The manager is always present and runs a very efficent hotel.Our room was towards the back of the hotel, and was very quiet in the vening which was ideal for the children.
This hotel gives 5* service,and we are looking forward to coming back next year,hopefully to stay in a larger sea view room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback. I am pleased that you had a great time. The team and I work hard to make the White Lion hotel our guests home whilst they are with us. Stay in touch. Best Wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
0.8 km away
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold
2.8 km away
The Thorpeness Hotel and Golf Club

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!