“Disappointing Spa Experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Suffolk, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Disappointing Spa Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

I bought a 1/2 price spa day for myself and my Mum. In total it cost £60 for both of us, and this included a one-course lunch, a day in the spa and a 25 minute facial. At the time I thought this was a bargan, but in fact it was a total waste of time and money. Our problems were:
1. Our voucher said we could take our slippers and robe home with us, but the (very nice) lady at reception told us that we had an 'old' voucher and that we could only take the slippers (despite the fact we only booked the day only a few weeks ago).
2. While we were in the sauna the spot lights went out and didn't come on again, and it didn't get very hot.
3. In the steam room, the steam seemed to just stop working!
4. We were asked to get out of the pool as a fitness class was about to start. (This I thought was very bad as we weren't warned in advance that the pool would be off limits for an hour and when we asked if we could join in, we were told it would cost £5 extra each)
5. Our towels were really wet and we weren't allowed dry ones.
6. We were booked into a double room for our facials which although we didn't mind I thought we should have been asked before the day if this was OK.
7. Our facials were supposed to be 25 minutes long. We went in the room at 3.10pm and were finished by 3.25pm. They were obviously running a bit late (we should have gone in at 3pm) but I feel as we were there plenty of time in advance, and I did pay for it then we shouldn't have missed out. The products used on our faces felt really heavy and we didn't enjoy the facial at all.

I sent an email to Clarice House telling them about my bad experience, and they replied 'please be assured that all the issues raised in your e-mail have been passed to relevant department heads for action as required.' So hopefully their standards will improve soon. Personally, I thought I should have been offered at least half of my money back, if not all of it.

5 Thank Ria B

Ashford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Post Hen Night Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Review of the Spa not the hotel.
Eight of us had booked on a 'Bliss Spa Day' on a BOGOF deal at the beginning of Sept 2010 as recovery after a friends hen night. I'd been to the Colchester Clarice House Spa and enjoyed it so recommended this to the girls. It didn't disappoint. We had use of the pool, sauna, steam room and had booked a manicure OR a pedicure and a facial for about £60 each. The offer at this venue is a well oiled machine, you choose your lunch as you arrive and it's served to you in the restaurant at the time you've booked.
You come to the spa reception and get whisked away for your treatments and in between can lounge in any of the comfy areas or in the pool house. My therepist Charlotte was lovely and it was great to just relax and be pampered. The building is very grand externally (Queen Anne style house, I think) the pool house was modern and there is a lovely bright conservatory extension you can relax in. The changing rooms were okay, the shower area could do with a bit of a refurb, but everything was clean and this did not distract from our enjoyment of the day. What I really loved is there is no pressure to buy the products used, which makes a change from some spas I've been too. Lunch was great, portions were a good size and ther offered a really varied menu to choose from. The restaurant was staffed by a couple of younger guys, who were very attentive to our group of girls! I don't live near enough to go for dinner, but the local ladies in our party said they'd take their partners there.

I'd definatly go again, they change the offer every month, but there always seems to be a similar deal on.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Spa Improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

This is a review for the spa. I have not stayed in the hotel. They have revised their booking in procedures for the spa and said they cut down on the number of bookings after the complaints of overcrowding. I think we saw the evidence of this on a spay day with my friend, we were greeted at the door by the very friendly Grace (?) or Georgina who set us in the bar area while we chose lunch. Over the course of the day the pool and spa area were certainly far less busy than on previous occasions (this is our third visit in 2010) and it was very relaxed. The waiting area for treatments was still quite "full" when it came time to call treatments but the latest we were called to a treatment was five minutes late and I did still get my full 55 minutes (which I am sure meant the next person started late!). We had gorgeous facials and massage from Alix and Kirsty who we would ask for again if we can.
Overall, if it is true they are cutting down on the bookings, this is a great improvement and I hope it stays permanent. I would glady pay a higher price for the day to avoid cattle call overcrowding. In response to another reviewer, we did wonder where hotel guests had breakfast and lunch as the bar area was swarming with spa people in robes although perhaps they kept clothed diners in the dining room.