“Lovely afternoon tea by a crackling fire”

Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Reviewed 8 December 2017

I had afternoon tea here on a Friday recently. After a slightly sticky start after my booking couldn't be found when I arrived, my guest and I were seated in the front lounge by a crackling fire. Our hostess for the afternoon (who I believe was called Sarah) was extremely helpful and gave great customer service. It was super to be served by someone who wasn't frazzled, gave eye contact, had a ready smile and could make small talk - not something found very often these days among hospitality staff. We had the afternoon tea, the sandwiches were nice (just a little too chilled for me) the scones were light and delicious and the homemade jams and clotted cream fabulous. Good choice of loose teas and the teapots and china were top class. Sarah continued to top up my teapot with hot water which was a nice touch. The cake selection was excellent, all handmade with wonderful chocolate work/decorations on a Christmas theme. The whole afternoon was unhurried and the lounge was quiet and felt quite private - great for a proper chat. I'd strongly recommend requesting the fireside seats if booking tea here. If the Swan can bring all their staff up to Sarah's standard then the customer service really would be five star.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
John M, House Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

It is great to receive such lovely feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and it's also good to hear that Sara looked after you so well. I certainly will let her know.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Swan in the future and if I can assist you further, at any time, please do let me know.

E: john.morrell@theswanatlavenham.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed 8 December 2017

Our organisation, Haverhill and Districts U3A held our annual Christmas do in Lavenham, Suffolk. What a fantastic place to visit...a village of some hundreds of year capture as it once was.
The Swan was our destination, again, and like the two previous years it didn't fail in its magic. Great food and service. Will look forward to next year already.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

It is great to receive such lovely feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed your annual lunch with us once gain. I certainly will be sharing your kind comments with the team.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

The Swan is in a great location in the heart of this beautiful Suffolk village.
Check-in was efficient and our room was very nice, a good size and overlooking the gardens. The hotel oozes charm and character and the staff are all friendly and look like they enjoy working there. During our stay we ate in the restaurant for one evening , and the food we thought was very good, albeit small portions.
The hotel gets well used by non residents, and as there was a xmas market in the village the hotel was probably busier than usual. Overall we had a very enjoyable stay, but just a couple of things we thought could be improved. Firstly it proved very difficult to get a parking space in both the hotel's car parks. They allowed non-residents , to park in the car parks , and this proved annoying trying to find a space, surely the priority should be given to residents ? Secondly the service in the bar was a bit slow, and also our first morning's breakfast took an age and we had to wait nearly 45 mins for our cooked breakfast, whilst guests sitting down after us got their food before we did. That aside we would recommend this hotel and will definitely be returning one day.

Room Tip: We had a Suffolk room which was great , good size and quiet part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

Your mostly positive feedback is very much appreciated. However I must apologise for the couple of shortcomings you experienced. I certainly will be sharing them with the team in every effort to prevent a repeat performance. With regards to car parking we do allow all customers of the Swan, whether they are just dining or staying, to use the two car parks we have. The impact of the Lavenham Christmas Fair may well have been a factor but nonetheless I am sorry that you were not able to park as easily as you normally can.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of December. The bedroom was gorgeous. Beautifully furnished and decorated. Spotlessly clean and supremely comfortable. We had our evening dinner in the Gallery restaurant. The food was very well presented, tasty and wonderful. One of the best restaurants we have eaten in. The staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely with a good selection of dishes. Altogether a great experience . We had the afternoon tea recently. That was great. Will be back. Thank you to all the staff.

Stayed: December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

It is great to receive such lovely feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us and what the Swan has to offer. I certainly will be sharing your kind comments with the team.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

I booked a package for my husband's birthday which included, dinner and breakfast. I had heard so many good things about The Swan and it lived up to them all. From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Our room was very tastefully decorated and had everything you could possible want, with a small but perfectly furnished bathroom. Our evening meal in the Gallery Restaurant was on par with a Michelin star restaurant and once again the staff was first class. Breakfast was again delicious. There was only one problem, we were staying only one night so we just have to return to enjoy the delights of the Swan again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

It is great to receive such lovely feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I certainly will be sharing your kind comments with the team.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Swan soon and if I can assist you further, at any time, please do let me know.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Oh my, what is happening to the Swan. Always been a favourite haunt when visiting Suffolk but had a shock visit on Tuesday last. Arrived at 11.30 wanting coffee in any if the lounges. All tables empty but with a reserve notice on each. Told they had a function at 1pm and we could not use any table for coffee in the interim. Shown to an empty soulless bar area where we were told there was also a cosy fire. There was, but it died an unceremonius death as we sat there and the coffee was unpallatable. The staff were totally indifferent and spent more time chatting amongst themselves. A far cry from the Swan of old. One gets the feeling it is surviving purely on the back of its old reputation.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chrissie J
John M, House Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I am so sorry to learn of this poor experience you had. It is certainly way short of our usual levels of hospitality. If you would be kind enough to email me your contact details via the below email address as I would sincerely like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Enjoyed a Sunday night stay with dinner at this very quaint and picturesque hotel. Set in lovely Lavenham, a lovely village for an after breakfast walk.
Staff here are very welcoming and friendly. Room was quite a walk away, up many stairs and both of us having to duck to get through some of the doors and passages!
Room was cosy, bed very comfortable. Unfortunately room overlooked the road, but noise wasn't too bad. Dinner for me was rather disappointing. Hardly anything on the plates! Chicken liver pate for starter, but with no toast, just four tiny croutons! Pork for main was on the mean side and very dry. Three small pieces of pork. No vegetables. Chocolate dessert always my first choice, but this was rather dull and lacked any flavour. Never mind, the visit was in itself a good one.

Room Tip: Away from the main road and not too far from reception!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jannieEssex

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your time with us. I am sorry to learn that you found dinner disappointing though. I certainly will be sharing this feedback with our kitchen team.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and if I can assist you further, at any time, please do let me know.

E: john.morrell@theswanatlavenham.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
25.7 km away
29 km away
Tuddenham Mill
Tuddenham Mill
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!