Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
eDreams
1,431 results
All reviews afternoon tea scotch egg tudor building courtyard room four poster bed main building scones special occasion grounds are lovely before dinner lounge area birthday treat spa facilities steam room whole experience food was lovely cooked breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed December 22, 2020 via mobile

Very comfortable room, compact but that reflected the price, and excellent spa and swimming pool facilities. We enjoyed really good service and light plates at the bar, as well as a delicious breakfast. Highly recommended

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JDF291016
Mike Day, Marketing at Seckford Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you back in 2021.

Reviewed December 19, 2020

Absolutely diabolical. I booked to stay here and paid £130 for a ‘superior’ double. I came up to my room to find I had twin headboards so I rang reception and asked if they had another superior DOUBLE room available - the next one I was shown was very small and dark so I said that’s fine I’ll stay in the one I’m in. Upon closer inspection, I find cracks in windows, paint peeling off the walls, make up marks on the walls, shabby furniture and water damage to the chairs - yuck! Certainly not what you would expect from the hotel judging from its website or from a hotel room costing £130. I then went down to reception and explained all this and was told ‘there were no other rooms available’, I did not even get an apology or to be asked if I was okay or anything, so I asked to see the second room again. Upon moving my belongings into the second room, I discovered the bathroom stunk of smoke. I then decided to take matters into my own hands and go on the website and I found that there was other rooms available. For the third time I rang reception and said ‘I have seen you have other rooms available.’ Instead of being offered a free upgrade to one of the other rooms on offer, I was downgraded to a regular double room and refunded the price (in 5 working days!). I have seriously never stayed anywhere like this and I will never return. In the double room I was finally in, the bedside tables were turned towards the bed so they could fit in, meaning that you could not use the drawers. Despite being a recently refurbished room, the plug sockets were shocking. However the room was a lot nicer than the superior!! Makes no sense!! Besides this, I was told that there was no room service...makes absolutely no sense to me considering the pandemic. It is such a shame because the building itself is beautiful but reception seem completely unable to deal with complaints regarding basic hygiene (or anything else for that matter after reading other reviews!!). I won’t be returning that’s for sure.

Date of stay: December 2020
3  Thank 800elliep

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your room and Reception did not deal with it properly. Our Operations Manager will review this with the team as a result of your issues.
Thank you for this constructive feedback.

Reviewed November 5, 2020 via mobile

We stayed at this stunning property in October stayed for 3 days. The property itself is outstanding , historical dating back to the Tudor period.
Since this was our first time to visit this place we got astray by car, asked for directions from reception, were sadly misled us a few times that we ended up going around in circles and wasted an hour driving trying to find the place after a long hectic drive from London. The property is historical from the Tudor period, low beamed ceiling, 4 poster bed, takes you back to Tudor era. However, the sofa was dilapidated, with faded material. Needs re-upholstering.
The bathroom badly needs revamping. It dates back to the mid nineties..No shower cubicle....only a steep safety hazard high edged slippery bathtub with an obsolete fiddly tap that takes forever to function and mix water.
The breakfast was very unhealthy with very little choices.
The young blonde waitress who served our dinner was rather abrupt, had very little knowledge of what goes in the menu. Staff lack training.
The male middle aged waiter who served breakfast was very polite and accommodating, breakfast was very basic, unhealthy, lacking in berries or superfoods which are supposed to be local produce from the local neighbourhood. All what was on the menu (in terms of fruit) were imported tasteless GMO sour inedible pineapples, watermelon and melon, processed dry cereals and a stodgy commercial English breakfast which did not taste organic, free range or fresh from the local farms. The food and beverage management should encourage the local farming community by resourcing their ingredients from them instead of buying whole sale from commercial suppliers.
The dinner was disappointing too...the cooked salmon came across as frozen, stale and flaky (quite tasty though) despite the fact that the town is close to the seaside. They should invest in a more creative chef to live up to the grandiose image of this sophisticated property.
Beautiful, breathtaking well manicured gardens and golf course.
Lovely statues and historical fixtures.
Hygiene standards are quite inferior and shocking. Housekeeping refused to clean our bedroom, change the sheets and towels all throughout our stay, using Covid19 as their flimsy excuse! This beggars belief! On the contrary, Covid19 should be a good reason to frequently clean and disinfect the bedrooms. This is against health the safety. We had to request fresh towels, the young male receptionist obliged, politely apologised stating that this was ‘management new Covid rules’.
Such a shame because it’s a stunning property with a lot of potentials.
Would have loved to return but sadly the negative attitude left us with very little to be desired, in particular that we paid £280 a night on that weekend to be expected to make up our own bed and get fresh towels ourselves, using a dirty bathroom for a 48 hours stay. This is against hygiene, health and safety

Date of stay: October 2020
3  Thank SHERMINE54
Mike Day, Marketing at Seckford Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2020

Thank you for your review. Whilst I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, I need to correct some of your "facts" which are wrong. Firstly, the housekeeping team did not refuse to clean your room, as part of our certification as a COVID 19 safe hotel (under government regulations) and our risk assessment which forms part of this, the team are not able to enter your room once you have checked in as you and your possessions may be carrying the virus. Likewise one of the housekeeping team may be carrying the virus so to keep both you and the team safe, they do not clean your room. This procedure is happening in hotels all over the country and is not just done at Seckford. On arrival, the Reception team would have explained this to you. Secondly, at breakfast our eggs are free range from a local farm and our sausages and bacon are also sourced from another local farm. We do utilise local berries when they are in season in the summer but these are out of season in October. The only berries currently available currently are imported from Spain.
I hope that clarifies our position.

Reviewed November 1, 2020 via mobile

An enjoyable quiet relaxing break away.
The hotel is a truly beautiful place, tucked away in a quiet area of Suffolk. It’s the most romantic and magical place we have ever stayed in and we feel lucky to have been able to stay here and experience it. Whether you stay here for a once in a life time night away, for a special occasion like a birthday, or a romantic weekend away - You have got to so youraelf a favour and do it at least once. You won’t be disappointed. We certainly were not.

The breakfast is amazing, all locally produced and cooked to perfection - and everybody is safely distanced. we felt reassured we were being looked after which feels so rare now in this pandemic.

We stayed in one of the junior suites, with our own doors just outside of the main building. Super spacious, luxurious, clean and tidy, with both an upstairs and downstairs, and a really lovely spacious bath and shower. The bed was a super king size and one of the most comfortable beds we have stayed in.
It was a peaceful and tranquil stay, and one I throughly recommend if you want a romantic, peaceful break away.

The staff were helpful, and offered us reassurance in such strange times. Everything was clean and they had hand gel which must be used when entering the building as well as masks on. This however did not affect the atmosphere, and the beautiful setting of this wonderful 16th century house.

If you want to treat a loved one, or you want a romantic break away, please do yourselves a favour and ignore the other local hotels and book yourself up!!... Whilst a little more expensive than other hotels in the area, it’s a truly magical experience, in a beautiful hotel and one for all your bucket lists. It’s a place which you will dream of for a long time afterwards.

Sadly we couldn’t use the pool facilities on our stay due to the covid restrictions, but the lovely room, beautiful house and the nicest cooked breakfast ever tasted by us more than made up for this.

Please support these places when they reopen after the lockdown, as we can’t afford to lose these beautiful places, and they will need your support more than ever.

Thank you to the staff at Seckford Hall from us.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back again after lockdown or in 2021.

Reviewed November 1, 2020

Seckford Hall is a beautiful Tudor country house with a great deal of potential charm. We arrived in the evening and the sight of the house lit up as you turn in through the gates is magnificent. The first clue that this isn’t the premium hotel the cost of the stay suggests is the pitted and pot holed drive way badly in need to some repair. This analogy continues to the hotel itself where once grand ideas have been cheaply renovated in a ‘that’ll do’ kind of way that falls too short of the quality required.

The bedrooms in the stable block where we stayed are good sized, adequately furnished. The bathrooms are old fashioned with dribbling showers and need updating. On request, the hotel was able rustle up some decent pillows to replace the lumpy, foam ones originally provided but could not do anything about the musty smell or the worn and holy duvet cover. Good, fluffy white tools but dressing gowns that had clearly seen better days which we had no desire to put on.

The public rooms in the main house are comfortable but, with a little effort, could be luxurious. The restaurant is fairly soulless with bright lights killing most of the atmosphere. The food is simple but well cooked and tasty. Limited choice of budget wines but nothing special.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the organisation of the hotel is designed for the convenience of the management rather than the guests. Therefore only the ‘usual’ kind of things are available and anything slightly out of the norm (such a cocktails, tomato juice, decent single malt whiskey, etc...) are not available.

In summary, we had an enjoyable and relaxing weekend stay but the cost per night is between £50 and £75 too expensive for the rather mid-market quality on offer.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Perry65

Thank you for your review. You will be pleased to hear that we are currently repairing the drive which had some potholes due to the heavy rain throughout October and have asked our laundry company to address the issue of the dressing gowns.