See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Take my advise...don't even think of it! The hotel is situated in a dodgy part of town (Benwell). The rooms were in dire need of a facelift. There was the word "HORRIFIC" drawn outside our bedroom door...a sign of things to come. We arrived at the hotel at 1am, to a completely deserted reception area. The receptionist was asleep in some room and only woke up when we telephoned the hotel from our mobiles. The bed linnen was not clean, the room was not clean, the bathrooms were not clean. In 5 days the room was not cleaned, aired or re-stocked with clean linen/bathroom towels. The beds were the most uncomfortable that I've ever experienced with springs popping out of several places. The hallways were dark, dull and gloomy, and smelt odd. Most of the staff were impolite and uneducated. We were overcharged because of the sleepy receptionist.

The breakfast was fine.

Definitely would nor recommend or ever go back...

Room Tip: Rooms NOT in the hotel are the best ;)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We booked a room on 5pm.com as we were going to the metro arena for a gig. 3 of us shared a room. There was a communal bathroom (although seperate rooms with a toilet and "shower" can hardly be classed as a bathroom" on our landing which werent in the best condition. Luckily we only stayed for one night and had breakfast which was included in the price.

Overall we got what we paid for which was very little. Wouldnt recommened the hotel but it done for the one night we stayed there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kelsey G
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Bluebird for two nights. The hotel is in a quite bad area of newcastle but reasonably close to the city center (by bus or taxi).
We might have been lucky with the room because in comparison to previous reviews we didn't have to share our bedroom with cockroach...However the two nights there were not really relaxing mainly due to our disrespectful neighbors, some young people who were obviously there to have fun...I don't mind people having fun but shouting, screaming and knocking at all the bedroom doors between 2 and 3 am ...I don't find it really funny.
The breakfast was extremely basic: bread, cereals, super dry croissant and some orange juice that didn't taste of orange at all.
That's a bit of a pity because the building (an old church) is huge and still in a good state. A big refurbishment of the rooms and bathrooms + regular cleaning of the rooms (carpet, bed, curtains) could make this place much nicer....although you cannot escape from disrespectful noisy neighbors.....Regarding the price we paid, I'd advise you to go somewhere else....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed here for three nights during April 2012 and I had a pleasant stay and the rooms were comfortable. Mine was on the small side even for an ensuite but this is perhaps due it being an older building

There is a nice large spacious lounge with a TV and freeview. There is also a dining room located at the rear of the property which is nicely appointed and it is pleasant to sit during in meal times.

I would recommend booking an ensuite as I had previously booked a room sharing in a communal bathroom and toilet. Where I was situated in room 8 is on the opposite side of the hotel and you have to walk past reception to use the shower.

This is fine if you wear a dressing gown but if you don't out you will get noticed. The other advantage of this property is that it is ten min by bus into the city and the station is on the route to and from the station on the bus going to Benwell.

The menu options for evening meals are restricted to curries and bolognese but they are well made and wholesome. The only other problem I had was that the freeview did not work properly and relied on internal ariels. However this is likely to be fixed as the region switches to digital.

This hotel is worth a look at despite some of other bad reviews. It is comfortable and there are some niggles as mentioned but for less than £50 per night in major regional city with meals, a bathroom of your own and close to the city centre it is good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2012

smelly, dirty,got bit by god knows what,matresses on the floor no hot water,leaks so floors wet through,if you dont mind all this go for it !! but sooner sleep on a bench than go here again,most of the people there where of the same mind,if we could have given it half a star we would.The review from Martisangel is spot on To top it all when we got in the taxi and told them the hotel name they laughed and said that it was a rat infested hell hole i'll say no more.This is one that should have a council spot check it's not fair to be continually taking peoples money for this filthy hovel !!!!!! if you do go get your jabs up to date.

Room Tip: no of them any good
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends