See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This place is the pits. Filthy and tatty. The curtain was 1 piece of material which was raggy and dirty. My floor cloth is cleaner!! I don't know how this place got on to any web site as a hotel. I would have preferred to sleep in a field with out a tent!!

Room Tip: Would not advise this place at all.
Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Anne-marie R
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Suffocating rooms not many windows (couldn't open ours).
Not enough mirrors.
RUDE STAFF!
Comfy and clean beds.
Two plug sockets in the whole room which sleeps 6.
Breakfast was rubbish.
Tried overcharging us on the deposit you have to pay.
Not very close to the city centre (taxi ride away).

My friends room was so much better than ours.

We've said we will never return to this hostel/hotel again due to the lack of/poor costumer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank MEGH502
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Bluebird Hotel is now under new management and is called Newcastle Rooms. We arrived, bracing ourselves for a dirty, unfriendly, cheap night. I loved the looks of the building in the pictures here and the location and price were perfect but the main reason I booked here was, I needed a room at the last minute and everything in the area was booked solid. We arrived at 2am to a friendly desk attendant called Kozi, who answered all of our questions, including a bit about the history of the gorgeous building (which is even more impressive in person) before walking us to our room. The place was immaculate. Our en suite room was huge, clean and comfortable with a bathroom (spa style) that appeared to have been very recently refurbished (clean new grout) with impressive water pressure and plenty of room for 2. The decor was unimaginative with some quirky touches: our room was sparsely decorated with all of the necessities including a large chest of drawers and small table with tea kettle, tea and coffee, but had 3 massive (tacky) chandeliers overhead that gave us a good laugh and lit the room up like a stage. There was also a huge flat screen TV and wifi, albeit a dodgy connection in certain parts of the building.

Breakfast was not for weight-watchers or the gluten intolerant but it was adequate and the building was definitely worth the stroll-through required to get to the dining hall. Breakfast menu included a choice of three cold cereals, decent coffee served in styrofoam cups, orange and apple juice and not-so-fresh croissants with choices of butter and various jams and some prepackaged chocolate croissants which my partner said "weren't bad" but his bar is quite low when it comes to free food.

As for the location, I'm not clear what the complaints are... It's Newcastle...

The building and grounds are amazing with plenty of friendly staff who were eager to help us find our way around—which was good because the inside of the building is like a maze even with arrows leading you to exits, dining hall etc. All in all I felt like I was staying in a very nice upscale hostel at a fantastic price, surrounded by great staff and will absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Allow for some time to walk the grounds—they are wonderful!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed at the hotel for 2 trips now and I love it for the sheer comedy factor. It's cheap as chips and not as bad as people make out.
When we arrived the wee guy was sleeping on the reception desk and they kept giving people the master key. There was a big group of lads there on our first stay and when we got back from our night out we could see someone had been in our room and chucked our clothes about. Luckily they were only messing about and never stole anything but still. The staff could not be bothered at all and were quite lazy. They were always just chillin with their earphones plugged in and feet up in reception. Over all good fun and at the price you pay ou really can't complain

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Hollzdollz
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Awful, awful experince. From the chaotic check-in ( the receptionist couldn't find the keys to some rooms, "acidentally" overchanged two people ) to the hasty departure the same day. This place is more of a " hostel / doss house " than a hotel. OK if your a student looking for a place to crash after a night on the town. Otherwise if you're looking for a restful stay forget it, best to avoid.

Room Tip: Get the annex if availabe
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends