“Move over Ken Hom.....”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Move over Ken Hom.....”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

The phrase "culinary genius" is thrown around all to often...But on Friday 6th December 2013 a new member of this elite and talented group wrote himself into culinary folk law forever... Norman "King of the Rice Pot" was born.

In modest surroundings Norman delivered in spectacular fashion... At 1.10 the sizzling masterpiece I'd heard so much about was before me. The caramelised rice, the array of perfectly cooked meats and the lightly steamed vegetables culminated in 22 minutes of release from the days trials and tribulations to what I now know as "rice pot ecstasy".

Norman... I'll be back

1 Thank davejarkley

“Authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had an excellent dinner at Norman's early on Saturday night. Helpful staff made sure we picked meals to our taste, suggested options and changed dishes to our request. Excellent starters, Clay pots were tasty, fresh and different - make sure that you get to the rice on the bottom.

For a casual meal - no tablecloths - a great choice. Beer only at the moment we were assured that a full licence was on the way.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Michael M
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Last supper in Newcastle”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

After looking at the comprehensive menu,we asked the owner to bring us an authentic Chinese meal.
We had spring rolls and a starter we've never had before.
This was followed by a clay pot rice dish with three meats, and a special chow mein with prawns poultry, meat and Chinese vegetables.
The meal was delicious and something we wouldn't have thought to order ourselves.
The restaurant is basically furnished, but well worth a visit.
Helen and Michael

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Michael G
“Absolutely gorgeous!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I visited this restaurant on Saturday 30th November as we had read the brilliant reviews on Trip Advisor. We were greeted by the Manager, who I think must be Norman and he was so friendly and welcoming. He asked if we had been before and when we said we hadnt and didnt know what to expect, he brought the menu over immediately. He left us for a few minutes to get us drinks (the house white wine was well chilled and superb!). When he came back, my husband knew immediately what he wanted to order but I was between 2 dishes. Norman said he could make a dish which would combine both dishes. Nothing was too much trouble for him. We both ordered the claypot dishes and when they arrived they came in wicker baskets and were put on the table in front of us, Norman and another member of staff then lifted the lids off the claypots, both at the same time, and the smell from both dishes was to die for. When I eventually got to the bottom of the claypot the rice had started to crisp as the clay dish was so hot, all I can say is mmmmmmmm. The claypot dishes were so gorgeous and tasty. To sum everything up, the service is first class and the food is absolutely perfect. Norman is extremely friendly and helpful and his staff are very well trained in customer service. Norman shook my husbands hand and gave me a cuddle as we left. We are truly part of the Norman's Kitchen family and cant wait to return.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank LesleyK1962
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The food is good and the service friendly - but...”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'm not quite sure what everyone is raving about, yes it's nice food and the staff are very helpful.

I went with my fiance, on Saturday 30th November, as somewhere new to visit on our date night.
I had seen reviews on here and thought "fab, new place and rave reviews, we must visit!"

I was dressed up and so was my fiance and after a few drinks we decided it was time for food.
After arriving at Norma's Kitchen it became very apparent that we should really be wearing jeans and jumpers as that was what everyone else was wearing, including the staff! The (manager??*) greeted us at the door and sat us down at by the window. He himself was in a tracksuit jacket, jeans and trainers (on a Saturday night??).
The decor was very dull and boring and the table cloth was all stuck up from the previous occupants.
However, the man tending to us was very nice and helped us to make a good choice from the menu. We were offered Tiger lager to drink.
When the food came in the clay pots it looked and smelled lovely. The meat was very tender and we did enjoy it.

I would have liked to have known about the standard of dress/decor before making the decision to go there as it was supposed to be a romantic night out - it ended up feeling almost like being taken to McDonalds after a night out.

NUDO would have been a much better place to go (the food is just as good there, if not better) but because we've been there on several occasions I though somewhere new was called for :/

I'm not knocking to food or the service here, in fact I would probably come again during an afternoon of Xmas shopping but I would never recommend it for a night out I'm afraid.

• Visited November 2013