“Always good”

Fat Hippo Underground
Ranked #142 of 1,386 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fat Hippo specialise in the good kind of gluttony: making indulgent burgers that have you loosening your belt buckle before you've even started!
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We've been here a couple of times but not for quite a while. Having tasted the beautiful Fat Hippo burgers over Christmas at Hadrians Tipi we finally got round to visiting here again.
We arrived before 6 and managed to get a seat easily. We ordered and the food arrived in good time.
We both got the American with a dirty fries upgrade. They're such good burgers I can't describe! I didn't finish mine but had a pretty good go. If you're looking for great burgers, great service and great atmosphere then this place is for you. We won't be leaving it so long before another visit this time.

FatHippoRestaurants, Brand Development Manager at Fat Hippo Underground, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2018

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the restaurant as much as Hadrian’s Tipi! I will pass on your lovely comments to the restaurant manager. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Regularly come here as a treat because I know the food is so good, popped in yesterday and was brilliant again. I tried the Candy Man, a step away from my usual Fat Hippo burger, was good! Nice and tasty, huge portion like normal, boyfriend had PB&J, again was great.

Service spot on, friendly staff with banter...read some of the other reviews and it seems people need to lighten up a bit!

The burgers are tasty, messy treats and by far the best I’ve had in town and most other places to be fair, if you ever need something good and stodgy (perfect hangover food) get yourselves here!

FatHippoRestaurants, Brand Development Manager at Fat Hippo Underground, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Thank you for such a lovely review! We really appreciate your kind words. Hope to see you return in the near future.

Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

We were excited to try the food that Fat Hippo had on offer having seen the menu beforehand, however we left both disappointed and irritated.

The location is great for a city centre meal or snack, while there are lots of options for meat eaters (less so for vegetarians).

On our visit we found our waiter rude, shouting at us on our arrival and repeatedly referring to my girlfriend as “darling”. This was irritating to say the least.

Our food was bland. The veggie burger was not special and could be made by any amateur chef in their kitchen. The PB and J burger was equally as bland and uninteresting. This was a disappointing meal.

The atmosphere was poor, music too loud and not a pleasant experience overall.

3  Thank Ben M

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience at Underground. The quality of our food is something we take very seriously and we always do our best to source the highest quality ingredients. I have passed your comments on to the head chef however if you would like to discuss your visit further feel free to email me on, mercede@fathippo.co.uk

Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

Im no expert at all, however i keep returning on a weekly basis for the quality and consistency of the hippo burgers. Everywhere is doing burgers these days, even Italian restaurants. But its almost a different meal, these lads know how to make a burger on another level. Staff are always great too, even when busy! See you next week.

I’m pleased to hear you think so highly of us! I will pass on your comments to the lads and lasses of the restaurant! See you next week!

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

I visited Fat Hippo with a group of Colleagues and have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

There is a great vibe, and the food was really good. Probably the best burger I’ve ever had!

There is something about keeping the menu small and doing what you do well!!

Would return.

Great to hear you enjoy our vibe so much! We look forward to seeing you return.