“Fantastic welcome”

The Peacock Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We have stayed here twice. The first stay was in a quiet & sunny back room which, whilst smaller, was very warm, well equipped & spotlessly clean.
Last weekend we stayed in one of the two biggest rooms. I have never had a chandelier in my room before, let alone two of them! The room was enormous, very warm, again spotlessly clean, equipped with everything you could possibly hope for including the cleanest kettle I have ever seen in a hotel. There is a little traffic noise in the front bedrooms.
The staff are really welcoming & friendly, they cannot do enough for you. The breakfasts are huge with masses of choice & arrive much faster than seems possible.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are smaller but quieter Rooms at the front are huge but you get some traffic nois...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Upton4

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was delivering a 4 day course in Birmingham NEC and stayed at Best Western Peacock Hotel for 4 nights. Firstly let me say that that most of the problems listed below, I have encountered previously in Best Western Hotels due to their construction.
On my first night I was given Room 108. A common problem with these hotels is the kitchen extractor that kicks in during the evening and doesn’t stop until an hour after they finish cooking. The fan causes horrendous noise and vibration which rattles around the hotel due to the flimsy make-up of the internal walls. I also has stained bed sheets (which I showed to reception and took a photo of ) which could have been anything from old food, vomit, blood or excrement- it was difficult to tell.
I was moved to Room 002. This room reeked of damp and mould. The shower was a no-go area. I again took a photo of the mould around the tiles and shower tray. The bathroom was tiny- I could only fit one hand in the wash hand basin because it was so small and there was no shelf/ledge/cabinet to place toiletries. I had a rickety old cupboard to hang my clothes up but no drawers to put clothes in. The room was on the ground floor and the window had no nets on and over-looked the car park, so it was difficult to open the curtains. There was a ventilation grill above the bed that blew cold air on your face all night- just what you need in March! My tea cup was stained and had a sticky spoon in it with the residue of the previous occupants’ lunch on it. On my second night in this room an extremely high pitched whistling sound started from the room next door. This went on for nearly four hours. I contacted reception on 3 occasions. They told me they didn’t know what it was or what was in the room next door. It was some sort of plant room or electric cupboard I deduced. The room gave me a bad headache and ear-ache which caused me to struggle to sleep.
To be fair, the staff are brilliant and moved me to Room 311- an Executive Room. Thankfully this room was clean. Unfortunately, the walls in Best Western Hotels are stud framework and have no insulation in them, so you can literally hear someone ‘fart’ next door. Regrettably for me, I had a man (well I say man- it could have been a mule or walrus for all I know) next door to me that snored like a pig with asthma. He watched the TV until late at night, which I could hear so clearly because the walls are so thin that I could hear every word and then the snoring would begin. I measured the sound on my phone at around 35 dB (A). I have been awake since 2.30am because of it and I have to teach for 8 hours today.
Finally, the hotel is Indian themed and the restaurant only serves Indian food, so if you don’t like that, you are snookered. They do serve 4 English dishes, but one of them is soup and one is salad. I did find a great pub over the road (The Green Man) which served good food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2012

First time at this hotel. The room was very clean and adequate. Nicely set out. Breakfast was very good and hot. The staff most attentive and nothing was to much trouble for them. My only critism would be that the stairs creak a lot when guests are using them.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and have to say that it is distinctly below average.

My room this time was very small and cramped, you could barley walk around the bed.

The room temperature is another issue. The hotel in order to save money obviously don't turn on the heating in the room this makes the room very cold especially at night. The bathroom is like a freezer making showers very uncomfortable.

On to the bathroom, this is the size of a shoe box. The shower has the water pressure of a garden hose with a hole in it. Try showering in a freezing cold bathroom with a dribble of water coming out of the shower head.

Service at the bar is truly awful. After waiting for 10 minutes I had to phone the hotel to get someone to come and serve drinks at the bar !! Some guy turned up in a pair of jeans and dirty shirt to serve our drinks. My Becks tasted decidley stale whilst my colleague who ordered a Bottle of Cobra at over £5 a bottle watched open mouted as the "bar man" poured what he couldn't get in to the pint glass down the sink. UNBELIEVABLE !

At breakfast there was no toaster just a basket of white sliced bread !!

I would honestly rather drink petrol and urinate on a car fire than stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OFM77
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed here to attend a family party in Leamington Spa. I had requested at least one ground floor room as my mother-in-law has mobility problems. We were allocated three ground floor rooms adjacent to one another. Ideal. The rooms were clean and well equipped. The staff were very attentive and produced extra towels and fixed a problem with a broken toilet seat very quickly. The breakfast was good in quality and quantity. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Good location, staff pleasant and helpful, room excellent, clean, large comfy bed, good shower/spacious bathroom, well lighted and well equiped room albeit facing main road. Technology (free wifi, freeview TV), equipment (trouser press, hairdryer) and complimentary tray well stocked. Good choice at breakfast, food hot, quick service. My only negatives would be the somewhat cramped parking and the provision of sliced bread with my scrambled egg!

Room Tip: Room 102 was mine but if you may want a quieter one....can't guarantee you''ll get the s...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Lovely Hotel. Small but very very nice. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Nothing too much trouble. Would thoroughly recommend. Ample parking and easy distance to attractions such as Warick castle and leamington spa.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple