“Good cheese”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Paxton & Whitfield Cheesemongers
Reviewed August 20, 2018

I do like a nice cheese. It's always nice to get something more unusual too so it was good to stop by the cheese shop and pick up something different. The staff are friendly. We had popped in a month or so before to buy a teacher thank you gift. We had a good experience choosing cheese and tasting some too.

Date of experience: August 2018

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

I have purchased many cheeses from Paxton and Whitfield before over many years. Usually the staff are friendly, approachable and happy to chat to you and let you sample. However today, Sunday 5th August, the girl in there was everything but. As we entered the empty shop, she looked up at us without a greeting or a smile. Myself and my wife were looking for some cheeses for a dinner party, so we were picking up the pre-cut and wrapped pieces to check the weight and smell them to see if they were suitable. We were then reprimanded by the miserable (I think she was French) salesperson for picking up the cheese. How on earth are we meant to check the weight or whether it smells right? You can't just look at it and say yes.....you wouldn't to that in a greengrocers or bakers? You are encouraged to check if it's right. This person is definitely in the wrong job, she simply wanted customers to just look at the cheese, not touch it or check it and then just buy it. Please get some training and start again. Needless to say, we are now ex-customers of Paxton and Whitfield.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed May 29, 2018

Second visit to this truly outstanding cheese emporium! I am a blue cheese devotee but the rest of the family have slightly tamer tastes, popped in on Monday 28/5/18 and bought 3 delicious cheeses to tempt us all. Had to go back this morning to acquire a further 2 cheeses for our 10 yr old daughter who has a very definite palate. She chose the Wigmore which was superb, perfectly ripe and soft and also a cheese called Gjetost which is a totally new cheese to us all. I can not recommend this particular cheese highly enough, it is most unusual and I have never seen anything like it before. It looks like a block of dairy fudge and tastes beautiful, sweet and fudge like with a divine chocolate tinge and soft texture. A real show stopper for any dinner party and a star talking point for any discerning cheese addict. The service is as always wonderful, very informed and super helpful.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed February 17, 2018

Absolute must for cheese lovers everywhere, fabulous array of cheeses, superb advice from the team and a paradise for Fromage Homage! Well priced and well kept cheeses at their absolute best and a brilliant array of accompaniments available. I will be back!

Date of experience: February 2018