“Exceeded expectations”
Review of Rose and Crown

Rose and Crown
Ranked #2 of 24 Warwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 February 2012

IAs a Warwick resident I booked a couple of friends in here for a Saturday night, without any real knowledge of the accommodation or catering. They were extremely happy with their room, and after joining them later in the evening, we all dined and wined very well indeed. The menu range was superb, as was the quality and quantity of our meals. Tthe wine list was comprehensive and very well priced. Efficient, attentive and friendly service completed the enjoyment of a memorable evening, and our guests retired to their room later, expecting to be kept awake by the noise from a very busy bar downstairs, but in fact this was not a problem. After so much food the evening before, they nevertheless managed a superb breakfast, and booked out later having had a thoroughly enjoyable 'Rose' experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tickerwilli

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here for a night while on a business trip and found it a quite comfortable and relaxing place.
The highlight for me were the ales on offer, very well selected.
I ordered a mackerel salad for dinner (heavy christmas!) and that is exactly what I got, it may have been a little pricey for the dish but it was good.

The room was comfortable but some may find it a bit cold as it is an old building. The 2 electric heaters were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, luckily this doesn't bother me and I slept very soundly.

Breakfast was a bit different to the normal fare but definitely good quality and very tasty.

All in all a very comfortable spot and very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Peach_Pubs, Manager at Rose and Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Thanks for your feedback, it’s always good to hear from our guests. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I’m glad you had a chance to sample some of our ales as well as our food. Keeping everyone warm during the cold snap that we’ve just had is one of the challenges of having an old building, and you managed to stay with us just before we had new heating installed in all the rooms – so hopefully during your next stay we’ll manage to keep everything nice and warm for you as well.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon, come and introduce yourself and I’d love to treat you to a pint of two of our local ales !

Regards
Jonathan

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We had visited the Rose & Crown last year for a meal when attending an event at the Castle, so decided to stay over when we were next down. The staff were attentive without being 'in your face' and breakfast service was particularly pleasant. The location was superb - right in the heart of the town with parking nearby.
Now, onto the improvement opportunities. The room we had was in need of some TLC. Being an older building does mean that there are certain quirky things, such sloping floors, that you are expecting. However, our room had a hole in the wallpaper (and wall) on the chimney breast that looked like it had been there for some time. Also, when we moved the portable radiator we discovered that one of the wheels had fallen off and a small vase was being used to keep it all steady. The milk in the room was out of date (only by a month so this could be forgiven a little). When we mentioned this to the staff it was not replaced on day two (though we did get a small jug of milk when we spoke to the staff that night) but was on day three.....with more out of date milk! The bed was quite uncomfortable, but I realise that matressess are a personal thing and it may have suited some people. Also, the room was sorely lacking in plug points - just where were you supposed to plug the kettle in safely?!?!? Finally, again we knew that we would be above a pub and that there would be some noise from downstairs, which we were fine with. However, being woken up at 6.30am with music on a couple of mornings was not appreciated....in fairness I cannot say whether this was music from downstairs, the kitchen or one of the other B&B guests - either way it meant for a rude awakening.

Would we stay again?...no, it lacked the comfort & basics you would expect. The location and friendly staff did not make up for this. If a little money and time were spent on the upkeep of the rooms then this would address this I'm sure. (We stayed in Room 3 in case our room was the only one that needed TLC).

Room Tip: Not room 3!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SmudgeMcKay
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I stayed in a family room with my boyfriend. The room was large and quiet I didn't hear any noises from the downstairs restaurant. There were everything I needed (a digital TV, teas, a pot, a hair dryer and soaps) except a tooth brush and a tooth paste. (I asked a staff and they kindly brought them to the room.) I could use free Wi-Fi as well. This restaurant is well-located in the heart of the city and nice view from windows.

The only thing I was feeling odd was that the floor leans a bit. It was okay for us but sensitive people might feel sick.

The food was also lovely. The staff was kind and very friendly. Great value!! I'll definitely stay in this hotel when I come back to Warwick again!

Room Tip: The room 5 (a family room) is at the top of the building which is quietest and largest. Though it mi...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ayumi S
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Stayed here last July. Would definitely recommend it. Friendly staff

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Other than parking, the location and staff of this establishment cannot be beat. It's much closer to town the the Hilton and Holiday Inn (both being right off the M40 exit), and the pub downstairs served excellent pub grub as well as great steaks. We booked a family room with a queen size bed and a single bed, on the second floor, overlooking the town square. It was noisy enough to keep me awake at night, but not noisy enough to keep me away all night long. Funny thing is, there were not that many people wandering in the town square at night, but perhaps noise travelled up from the pub downstairs.

In regards to parking, we first unloaded the car in front of the property (30 minute parking available for $40p). Afterwards, we drove to a multilevel parking structure 10 minutes away from the hotel (but had to move the car out prior to them closing at 8pm to street parking until the following morning, when one has to relocate the car again since street parking is only free at night and during the day, one can only park for no longer than an hour, and put the car back into the multilevel parking structure). The staff in the pub (where the check in takes place as well) cannot be more helpful (from helping with the suitcases up narrow staircases to changing paper money to coins [both street parking and parking lot/structures do not take paper-money]), and when we showed up to dinner without first having made reservations, we were given a table with no fuss.

There is not much shopping in town, although we did have fun wandering in and out of local shops and spending an hour or so at Warwick Castle.

I had fun interacting with the staff in the pub, and would not hesitate to come back, even though the parking situation can get frustrating

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed here for one day/night October 9th. We booked on line and were more than happy with the price. Good value for money and well located. The staff were so friendly and helpfull, nothing was too much trouble for them. The room was quite comfortable and large. The Wifi also worked a treat. We ate in the restaurant and the food was well priced and delicious. The breakfast (included) also went down well. Met up with some of the locals and regulars and had a great evening which topped off a very enjoyable stay (thanks Mark, Karen and Dave). I would highly recomend the Rose and Crown, and Warwick.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple