“Good night”

Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Good night”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Long time to check in - hotel very busy.
Room good. Corridors of the hotel quite dark and a bit institutionalised. Foyer good. Breakfast great. Food in the restaurant good. Service a bit shabby.
Ridiculous charge for parking. A complete rip off when you are a resident in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Jo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you found your room satisfactory, I will certainly take on board your comments regarding the lighting in the corridors.

I was also pleased to see that you had enjoyed your dining experiences in the hotel but surprised you found the service not what you would have expected - for that I would apologise.

Whilst the hotel does operate a car parking charge policy, we do believe our discounted rate for residents is a very reasonable charge.

We hope we may welcome you back at some point in the future.

Rss Mounsey
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayed here when Crowne Plaza NEC wasn't available in 2010/2011 on a long term project in the area.
Old hotel getting older with no visable investment except for the communal areas e.g. lobby and conference rooms.
Worst part of the hotel was the car park. It was shockingly bad - too few spaces almost every time I stayed there and no advice from staff at reception as to how to park. Not what you want after a long day in the office or a long road trip to get there.
Just behind that was the rooms. Phew, if they didn't smell they were really old and you were lucky to get any wifi signal.
Food was ok but very expensive, staff were ok but not helpful or overly friendly.
Given the choice I wouldn't return to this hotel unless I was a HH Gold card holder because then at least you get free drinks and wifi...

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade and do not stay in the annex as there is no wireless cover or air con.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback after your recent stay with us.

Whilst the hotel maybe somewhat older than others in the area, I can confirm that despite this fact, the hotel continues to invest in the property to maintain and improve its facilities, both in public areas and bedroom refurbishments, together with technical infrastructure upgrades.

Although the hotel has over 700 car park spaces, I certainly do appreciate the inconvenience that is caused when the car park is full, I am sure you will appreciate that this problem can arise in any car park, e.g. shopping centres, sports centres.. etc. however I do regret any inconvenience you were caused.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room and would point out we will always endeavour to resolve any issues that are brought to our attention at the time and regret that this was not made known to us during your stay.

We hope we may rstore your faith in the hotel and welcome you back in the near future.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Higham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel in March for a work meeting. I travelled by train from Kent with a colleague who was pregnant and we arrived earlier than expected.

In Birmingham International train station there is a free telephone you can use which calls directly to the hotel who gave me directions to a bus stop where a shuttle bus would come free of charge to collect us. We literally only waited two minutes and the bus arrived and it is a very short journey to the hotel. This hotel is in such a convenient location for the NEC, Airport and train station and this shuttle bus makes it even easier!

We arrived to the hotel around 2 hours before we should have checked in about 3 hours before our conference and after the journey my colleague had become quite tired. We decided to ask at reception on the off chance to see if we could get into a room early and planned if not to get a coffee in the bar.

We were greeted by Richard in reception, he gave us such a warm welcome and managed to find a room for us that was ready. He gave us very clear directions to our room (you need these as the hotel is HUGE!) As well as directions to the leisure area and restaurants and the opening times for all of these as well as directions to our conference room. I have stayed in lots of hotels recently for work, several in Birmingham and others around the country and this was so refreshing as so often you feel like you are an inconvenience to reception when you have to ask questions about things that they really should have told you anyway, really helped set the visit off on the right path.

The room itself was lovely, very spacious, well lit, a great range of tea and coffee making facilities and toiletries as well as all the usual things you would expect in your room. Our room felt very fresh and was immaculately clean. The rooms must be very well sound proofed too as I didn't hear anything whilst in the room, not other guests or the planes (considering it was so close to the airport I did expect some noise but I didn't see or hear a plane!)

The buffet lunch supplied before our conference was DELICIOUS! Lots of filling hot dishes and not the usual crusty sandwiches and dried up quiches you get in so many venues! I made the most of a delicious creamy chicken and mushroom dish, not too sure what it was but it was lovely! Desserts were equally as good and I had a chocolate cup with chocolate mousse in, so good!

After the conference our dinner was supplied in private dining room, to start we had melon which isn't really a favourite of mine but the sauce that came with it really made it lovely. For mains we had pork, really creamy mash, roasted carrots and parsnips all covered in the most beautiful gravy!

After dinner we had some drinks in the bar, as there were quite a few of us we ended up pulling lots of tables and chairs together but the bar staff didn't mind at all, and when we left and went to put all the tables and chairs back the bar team told us not to worry that they would do this for us. In some other reviews people have mentioned that drinks were a little pricy but I didn't really think they were much more than you would expect to pay in any hotel of this standard in this type of location.

The following morning after a fantastic night’s sleep I went for breakfast, my favourite part of a hotel stay haha! There was absolutely everything you could possibly want and more! Again the staff were fantastic, we received a really warm welcome and great service throughout. The breakfast is buffet style and in a hotel this size how they manage to keep everything so hot, fresh and yummy is amazing! There is also a man there cooking eggs so if you have any preference other than the ones that are served you are able to get one cooked to perfection!

Overall this hotel was fantastic. Richard on reception is an absolute credit to the Hilton Hotel's. I am gutted that I did not get the chance to make the most of the leisure facilities which was such a shame as the pool looked really nice however I am attending a show in the NEC in a few months time and am now planning on staying here as this was such a great experience, I fully intend on making the most of them next time!

1 Thank Amber B
Dear Amber

What a fantastic review! - Thank you so much.

I am absolutely thrilled to see that you enjoyed your visit with us and found our staff both friendly and friendly. Your kind comments regarding Richard will of course be shared with him and his Line Manager.

I was so pleased to see that you had enjoyed your dining experiences at the hotel - particularly the breakfast (most guests' favourite meal)!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole and hope you get the chance to use our leisure club during your next visit.

UK
Reviewed 7 March 2012

What a dump!

By the time I was shown my room, I left.

Never seen such a disgustingly filthy hotel in my life!

Then a friend tried to ring me and couldn't even get an answer from them!

Avoid at all costs!

1 Thank scoobyUk
Dear Reviewer

I was very disappointed to see that you had not had a pleasurable experience during your stay with us and would very much appreciate you contacting me directly at ross.mounsey@hilton.com. I would be most interested to discuss this matter further with you.
In the meantime, please accept my apologies for any disappointment experienced.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just booked a random night to this hotel and had the best time.

The staff in the lounge/foyer bar area were absolutely amazing - perfect service were they have found the right balance between being attentive and not excessive pestering.

Breakfast was lovely as ever in a Hilton, with the staff being friendly and attentive despite being busy due to the European Elvis Convection taking place that weekend .

Room Tip: Book Hilton Birmingham Metropole now.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Always on My Hols

Thank you for review and I was so pleased to see that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I was also pleased to see that you found our staff atentive and friendly without being intrusive.

Of course the Hilton breakfast is legendary and I am glad that you enjoyed this aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I cannot believe this hotel gets business. it prob never gets return business. Hilton Hotels are suppose to be the best hotels i was never so dissapointed. The bar was so expensive. £18 for two glasses of wine. RIP OFF. Economic downturn. i thought this meant that service standards improve and value for money... obviously hilton just want to rip off people. Some of the staff were ok but majority very ignorant. i have been working in the service industry for a number of years and this place is an absolute disgrace.
We had a conference here and the food was absolutely laughable. Chef should seriously go back to catering school. Most hotels can handle mass catering but this place cannot.
I notice the hotel never reply to any of these posts so let just hope this will stop an event organiser from booking an event here. DONT DO IT if you want your event to be a success.
Hilton hell hole

2 Thank Hotel-Jockey
Dear Hotel Jockey

Thank you for taking the time to provide yoru feedback following your visit.

I was disappointed to see that you did not appear to have enjoyed your stay with us. I was also surprised to read youir comments regarding the service you received from our staff and will of course discuss this with the relevant management. We normally receive very high praise for the friendliness and helpfull attitude of our staff.

I do regret that the food served at your particular conference failed to meet your expectations, however I am unable to comment further without greater detail.

I would like to point out that all reviews on TripAdvisor are answered and I do hope that despite the poor impression gained on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

solihull
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Went to large dinner last week and was hugely disappointed. Poor food, service all over the place and extortionate drinks. Plus, and probably worst of all, £10 to park! will never return.

2 Thank davidSolihull
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am sorry that you were left disappointed with the food and service provided at the dinner you attended. These comments will of course be shared with our Execujtive Chef and I very much regret that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Whilst the hotel does operate a car parking charge policy, as do other hotels, I would point out that residents do receive a discount on parkintg charges.

I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
0.3 km away
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#24 of 117 in Birmingham
0.9 km away
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!