Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
Tri-Star Hotel(Solihull)
5,721 results
All reviewsthe executive loungehuge hotelcourtesy busbusy hotelgenting arenaleisure facilitiesvisiting the necstayed here for one nightconventionconcertmotorway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed here as we were attending a convention and were able to use a special rate, however only executive rooms were left so I thought I would treat us as it was near my birthday. I researched online first to see what was included in the rate and also called a couple of days before arrival to see if they were able to provide a travel cot for my toddler (they could). My teenage son took the pull out sofa bed and I used the bed. I knew from a previous visit to the hotel that parking was expensive but I factored that into my budget.

On arrival we were seen quickly and efficiently and told that we could either eat breakfast in the executive lounge in the morning or in the main restaurant as that had a larger choice of hot food. We could also use the executive lounge before 6pm (after which children were not allowed to go in) for snacks and drinks throughout the day. All good so far.

Got up to the room and at first glance everything was fine. We had plans for the rest of the afternoon so we just left our things and headed downstairs. When we went back up to settle for the night then we saw that the single duvet for the sofa bed was covered in stains so we had to call down for a replacement. I then noticed that there were dirty finger prints all over the bathroom door as well as a large stain on the floor too.

The next morning when we went to the executive lounge for breakfast we were greeted by a really annoyed looking receptionist who asked for our room number. There was no ramp access for the pushchair which was awkward and I was initially told there were no highchairs, even though I had specifically asked about availability when I called a few days beforehand. The server had to tell the receptionist there were in fact highchairs and we had a nice breakfast in relatively quiet surroundings (which is what we were hoping for). The lounge was well stocked for breakfast but the promised snacks in the day on both the Saturday and the Sunday were virtually non existent as they were extremely limited. The coffee machine was also broken. To be fair, when I talked to the (much better) receptionist in the lounge on the Sunday morning about the coffee machine I was given two drinks vouchers to use at the costa in the lobby and he said they had organised an engineer to fix it.

Going back to the room, we discovered that there was a problem with the shower not draining properly but knowing that the hotel was full we decided to just mention it at checkout.

Because the schedule for the convention was so packed we decided not to use any of the restaurants at the hotel but to take advantage of the "street food" stands as we thought that would be quicker. £7 for a cheeseburger is quite a lot of money and it wasn't spectacular (we thought the extra £3 for a small portion of wedges was extortionate so we didn't buy them), the small pasta pots for £5 were better value for money or nice sandwiches for £4. However, the convention was extremely busy and the staff were clearly not prepared for the sheer numbers and service wasn't very quick at all and they were running out and not replacing the food quickly enough.

I do want to praise the concierge who was very helpful and organised someone to help do a temporary repair on my glasses. However she did complain to the regular concierge in front of several customers that he had taken his lunch break at the wrong time, which put a bit of a downer on that.

On checkout, I was told that the parking charges had increase that month but when I said their website was still stating £9 per day for residents then they did honour that price (it has risen to £12).

Overall, for the price I paid for the executive room it didn't represent very good value for money and I will only be getting a standard room next time. I only stay at this hotel because it is the venue for the conventions I go to making it much more convenient. My son actually remarked that we have stayed at better Premier Inns and unfortunately I do have to agree with him.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Patrick S, General Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2016

Dear CHG1

Thank you for your feedback following your visit.

I am sorry the standard of housekeeping in your room failed to meet our usual standards on this occasion - your comments have been shared with the Executive Housekeeper for review.

Your comments regarding your experience in the Executive Lounge have been discussed with the relevant manager with a view to improving upon those areas highlighted. It is unfortunate that the coffee machine broke down during your visit and regret any inconvenience this may have caused. I'm pleased however that you were given complimentary drinks vouchers by way of apology.

With regards to the street food offering, this has proved extremely popular with convention delegates and the prices charged are extremely good value. We do of course have other dining outlets in the hotel which cater for most tastes and budgets.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will visit us again in the near future and I would like to take the opportunity to point out that if you visit hilton.com to book direct you will be able to select from a large variety of room rates, some which include parking.

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

Stayed in a Queen Executive room which was a good size, bathroom was good, bed very comfortable. However the air conditioning was not up to the job of keeping the temperature down. There were a number of events on in and around the hotel so the Executive Lounge services were delivered from a restaurant, the quality of this service has fallen significantly over the last few years, the food selection was very poor, a couple of cheep deep fried dim sum and some cheese with biscuits. The complimentary bar is now hardly worth it, choice of a couple of bottled beers and red/white/ rose wine. The lounge offer used to mKe staying in a Hilton special. No longer. The staff were exceptional and worked really hard. I would stay again as the location is very good.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us.

Whilst I was happy to see that you were impressed with the exceptional team we have at the hotel and you found the location ideal for your purposes, I regret you were a little disappointed with the complimentary snacks and drinks offered in the Executive Lounge. Your feedback will be shared with the management team.

It's good to see that you will return in the future and we thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

The bedrooms are very basic for a top class hotel, yes I realise you only use the bedroom for a limited time, but due to my illness I was using it on and off all day.

The bathroom was brilliant as it has an easy access shower plus a bath.

The view was awful as we looked over rooftops!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family

Dear Helen

Thank you for your feedback.

I regret you found your particular room a little basic. I'm sure you will be aware that we have a variety of room types and size available to choose from. Perhaps I could recommend one of our Executive rooms or Suites on a future visit - I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

For the best rates and other great benefits visit hilton.com to book direct.

We hope to see you back at Hilton Birmingham Metropole in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for three nights over the weekend - I was attending a convention. All staff I encountered were extremely professional, polite and efficient. A special mention for the staff at the Concierge Desk, who received a postal item for me (I had asked them in advance if it was ok).
My 'Single Deluxe' room was more than adequate, being clean, very modern and comfortable with decent facilities. The tv reception wasn't great though with a very fuzzy picture. As I was hardly in my room, however, this didn't matter to me too much. The only thing I felt was lacking and which would have been incredibly useful, was a small chiller/fridge to keep my water cold. My room was serviced well each day, although there really was no need to replace the soap, which I had only used twice - such a waste! The air-conditioning was a real bonus and worked well.
The breakfasts are of a very high standard, with cooked breakfast items (although bizarrely no mushrooms!), cereals, breads, pastries, porridge, pancakes, fruit and a wide selection of hot and cold beverages. I only ate one other meal in the bar - a lovely vegetable chilli, which was very tasty.

So, all in all, a really pleasant stay, enhanced by the great staff, who remain cool and professional within a very busy environment!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo

Dear Flapjackfan

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide your feedback in relation to your visit.

I'm delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us for the convention and delighted you were impressed with the levels of service you received from our friendly team.

We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

I've just stayed at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole for a weekend. Granted I got a special rate as I was attending a con but at £100+ a night still not a cheap.

Upon check in when I asked if the room was quiet as it was near the elevator the reception staff assumed I would be "out all night anyway" as I was part of a conference booking that had evening entertainment planned. I was also nearly checked in room only basis and had to ask reception to double check because my room rate had breakfast included.

My twin executive room was outdated, poorly maintained and had two tiny single beds in it. There was a pool of water behind the toilet and it looked nothing like the rather luxurious photo on the website.
You could hear the extractor fans and air conditioning units on the large unattractive roof the room overlooked all the way from the 4th floor. Because I had a busy schedule I decided to stay. Worst night I had in a hotel ever persued as the room had interconnecting doors. I could hear every (very loud) cough my neighbour made all through the night. Asked to be moved and was then relocated to a single room, no discount offered and was given a single drink voucher for the bar which upon trying to use did not include the extortionate £9 charged for a glass of wine. Only soft drinks or a single shot of spirits. Bizarre but ok.
Later that evening from my room I called the guest hotline asking for cotton wool or cotton buds and told they had none, only "soap and stuff".

The breakfast room was crowded with a massive queue because of the conference I guess so I had mine in a makeshift breakfast zone in a large function room with huge shared tables where diluted coffee, pale scrambled eggs and stale pastries where served. Bought a black coffee from the onsite Costa which was £4.50 for a large or £4.25 for medium.

At lunch the lobby was a crowded mess with granted affordable but unappealing fast food carts. It was chaotic. Conference attendees were denied access to the onsite restaurant Millers as it was reserved for "regular guests" even though it was just about empty.

After check out I had to insist that my suitcase be tagged and stored at concierge desk as they said to just leave it in an open luggage room reserved for the conference with no form of tagging or control other than one member of staff on site.

Overall not a pleasant experience.
Please don't bother sending a generic apology as I will not be returning to your hotel or other Hilton hotels in future if this is how you treat your Hilton Honours members.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo