“Perfect and more”

Ranked #25 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Dubai
“Perfect and more”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

To start with the hotel is very close to the train station taxi cost 4.5 £, and previously called mint hotel,the location is more than perfect in the heart of the city and broad st which is the entertainment street you are surrounded with restaurants bars pubs clubs canals , 1 min walk and you see the ozzy osbourne and tony iommi stars in the city walk of fame , minutes walking to city attractions and a strip of shopping and few malls as well, rooms are decent size comfy bed , mini fridge , Mac computer , free Internet , safe , breakfast is ok and staff is super nice I have ordered a dyson before going had it shipped to the hotel and they kept it for 2 weeks till I arrives , I loved the hotel and Birmingham , don't look elsewhere go for it you will never be disappointed .

• Stayed February 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Belfast, NI
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed in Hilton Garden Inn for a couple of nights whilst on business in Birmingham. Checkin was pleasant and efficient and the staff seemed very pleasant throughout my stay.

The hotel itself was fine for what I needed - a decent internet connection though not good enough to sustain FaceTime which was disappointing for a hotel which has applemac as it's big selling point, but fine for basic email etc. Room was good size-wise and very comfortable bed. Good shower and decent bathroom overall. I was on the sixth floor and it was nice not to be overlooked and to have a bit of a view.

I also used the gym whilst I was there. It is on the small side (2 treadmills, a crosstrainer and a recumbent bike) but had a decent selection of handweights which you can't always count on. I would have appreciated the addition of a step of some sort since it does make the weights much more versatile and doesn't cost too much, but that's a small suggestion and overall I was quite satisfied with the gym. It also felt nice and clean. For me it is the biggest plus that would make me stay here again above other hotels.

The area the hotel was in was also quite good, there's a biggish sainburys local on the corner and several restaurants and coffee shops in the Brindley Place complex, though it does empty out a bit at night. However if you do decide to stay here, don't walk from New Street station unless you know the area, Birmingham is bewildering to walk in and I made two false starts before I gave up and got in a taxi. It's easier going the other way though, I only got lost once.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to other business travellers, it's very well set up and value for money.

London
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Being a regular business traveller to Birmingham, I have stayed in a number of city centre hotels and I would say the Hilton Garden Inn Brindleyplace is the friendliest and best in terms of customer-service. It is by no means faultless (the rooms and bathrooms are small, and I can hear the aircon even when it's switched off), however the beds are very comfortable, the restaurant serves excellent food, and I do get the feeling that the staff are there to help. I would have awarded 5 stars if I had a little more space and silence from the air vents.

Orpington, England
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stayed with a group of athletes for the indoor champs. Very close to NIA. Reception staff very helpful and actually looked like they enjoyed their job. Good clean rooms. Comfortable bed. Will stay again.

London England
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I booked to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham (formerly the Mint Hotel) for business for one night on Tuesday 21st February having had previously stayed before and been impressed with the standard of the rooms. I arrived at 3pm to be told by reception that the hotel refurbishments had over run and as a consequence the room I booked was not available, I was offered an alternative hotel...but I was not very happy at all as I like the Hilton so I asked if anything could be adjusted to find me a room in the hotel. The receptionist called the duty manager (Hilton head office this guy is the point of the review and you need to appreciate how annoyed I was and how after speaking with him for 1minute how happy and satisfied I was). The duty manager immediately judged the situation perfectly, he shook my hand, he was immediately apologetic and the pace at which he jumped into finding a solution for me was exemplary. He offered me a superior alternative hotel to the one previously offered and organised a complimentary bottle of wine. The excellent alternative hotel an the wine were both appreciated and great however the way in which the duty manager handled the situation was even better....I work in hospitality and this natural style of real human service is so rare yet so great to recive....well done Hilton...and very well done and thank you to the duty manager...a star of the future for any service led business. I'll be back and I will recommend.

1 Thank Pretronas
Faversham
Reviewed 21 February 2012

It was a really excellent stay.
The service was first class in every way.
Gym was ok....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 21 February 2012

When I booked this hotel it was a "Mint Hotel" - on arrival it had changed to a Hilton Garden Inn. This handover had obviously recently happened judging by the lack of knowledge of the staff on check-in but their over-eagerness to please.

The foyer resembles an up-market youth-hostel, seriously lacking in design, it may be that the Mint took their WOW factor with them? The existence of a microwave and a fridge full of microwaveable meals next to the foyer added to the Youth Hostel feel. The bar was dull but expensive.

However, the rooms were of a good size (I don't mention clean as I take this as a given with hotels at this level)...the WOW factor was the iMac which doubled as a telly...that got the extra green spot from me above...from average to V good! Every business hotel has one Wow item that is...the iMac was the one for me.

I paid close to full price as it was during the Spring Fair when rooms are at a premium, for that it was too expensive but better than others....it's proximity to lots of chain restaurants in a sort of manufactured lifestyle location made it comfortable and easy to access during a really busy week.

It's OK, not great!! Perhaps the new "owners" will revamp the foyer to make you feel that you are entering a hotel?

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the bins.