2,759 results
All reviews harvey nichols mailbox car park mini bar mail box hotel bar afternoon tea continental breakfast club room standard room saturday night city centre bars and restaurants new street station full english lovely room stayed for one night bull ring
Reviewed November 30, 2015

I booked Malmaison hotel for my Girlfriend's 21st birthday break. We had such an amazing time, the bedroom was fantastic had everything that I asked for. The staff were so nice and friendly and always had a smile on their faces. I told the manager when booking that it was for a surprise and they made everything so special, was upgraded to a full body massage, had complimentary cocktail vouchers/ glasses of champagne.
Was just a wonderful stay, if you are looking for a nice romantic break than I would highly recommend staying here. My girlfriend had such a fantastic time she loved it.

Date of stay: November 2015
Damian G, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2015

Dear Pablo 199

Thank you for your 'amazing' 5 star review and thank you for choosing the hotel to celebrate such a special occasion. It is great to hear that your girlfriend enjoyed herself and everyone went out of their way to ensure her birthday was memorable. When we are made aware we always ensure some extra treats if we can.
The team will also be made up with your feedback about them.

Hope to see you again soon

Kind regards

Damian Goom

Reviewed November 29, 2015

The hotel is a very short walk from New Street station (Southside exit) so is a brilliant location if you come for your stay on train or want to pop in and out from the shopping area. Reception was friendly and efficient. The room was really clean and comfortable. The decor is a bit dark and won't suit all tastes but we thought it was fine. We did the room and meal deal (£109 for room, 2 courses and a bottle of house wine). The hotel part was fantastic - the restaurant less so as there was exceptionally loud music from the bar located at the other end of the room so it was really hard to chat. The food was good. I had chicken liver parfait that had a good flavour but unusually was not served with toast so it was a bit overpowering. The goats cheese salad was fantastic as it had apple, peach and raspberry in it. The steak was fine as was the turkey although the vegetables were a bit burnt rather than roasted. The bistro menu is limited but you can choose from the a la carte and pay the difference. As we couldn't hear each other very well we just popped out to tescos and got some dessert and had dessert and coffee back in our room so the night was fine. If I had known how loud the restaurant would be I would have booked a different package and gone out somewhere quieter to eat. It may be worth checking if you are planning a special meal.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2015

I stayed in this hotel Saturday 28th November for one night and have to, unfortunately, review the hotel as underwhelming and not what I have come to expect from Malmaison hotels.

The booking was a "Mal Club" room, which is advertised as: "Complete with Queen-size bed with classic Eames lounge chair. En-suite bathroom with Anatomicals toiletries, 40 inch flat screen TV complete with Sky Sports, Lavazza coffee machine, bathrobe and slippers." and was considerably more in price than a regular room at the hotel.

With the price difference from a regular room, there comes certain expectations: you would expect that the room would be on a different level than other standard rooms, and, if I am honest, it was actually worse. The value for money was just not justified at all and had left me trying to determine why the "Mal Club" room was more expensive in comparison to a regular room. That was the underlying theme of our stay in the Malmaison Birmingham.

To explain the room a little better, the bathroom was just awful. There was a regular, white shower/bath (which did not match the interior design/colour scheme of the room/hotel), the toilet was barely attached to the wall and the cleanliness was really poor. There was mould on the shower door, dirt/build up on the bath and the tiles just were not clean at all. It was like walking into a bathroom that belonged to a different hotel, not one that is inside a Malmaison hotel - and not one that it aside a "Mal Club" room.

The rest of the hotel room was OK. Just OK. And that is disappointing considering it was a "Mal Club" room. It wasn't anything special and I believe that this is what you should be paying the extra money for; for something special. And that was just lacking in this room. The room itself was clean and had a cool feel about it, the interior design was in keeping with what is expected of a Malmaison hotel - but it wasn't anything special.

The booking had been made by my partner and was a late birthday present. She had requested that a bottle of Prossecco to be waiting for us in the room on our arrival and this was confirmed on the phone. When we arrived, there was no Prossecco and we had to call down to order it to the room. One of the glasses that came with the Prossecco had old lipstick marks on. Additionally, one of the cups in the room (for tea and coffee) had old coffee marks on the inside of it - which is not something you come to expect from any hotel.

We also had a member of staff open the door to our room to finish delivering the standard bottles of water for the bedside table, there was no knock ad he was very surprised that we where in the room.

The main bar in the hotel was really pleasant. There was a great atmosphere in the bar and the staff where very helpful, even though it was very busy. The floor manager (I'm assuming that was his position) was particularly helpful, he had come to our table several times and provided us with great service; taking our orders at the table and bringing us our drinks.

One note I will mention while I am talking about how busy it was - we had called down to reception several times with no answer and at one point had to keep the phone ringing until someone answered. We had wanted to order some food to our room but couldn't get in touch with anyone. I understand that it was very busy, but that isn't our problem and it should be the hotel's job to deal with that.

When it came for us to check out, we mentioned all these things to the receptionist and she brought this to the attention of the Reception Manager; Sarah. I must point out that Sarah did a fantastic job and dealt with the situation really well. She took the Prossecco off the bill and gave us a £100 voucher that can be redeemed in other Malmaison hotels. I would like to say that this was a great gesture and was really appreciated - it is something that we can use when we visit other Malmaison hotels. Unfortunately, I doubt we will return to this hotel due to the experience and lack of value for money - even thought I believe the staff where very helpful and understanding.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phil2683
Reviewed November 28, 2015 via mobile

I booked a night in this hotel for my girlfriends birthday in November, this was a one night stay with breakfast which was good price about £129.
I asked for special conditions such as a ballon and chocolate which they provided at no extra cost!!
I can go into a lot of detail about the hotel but it has many pictures and reviews that already explain what the rooms and reception areas are like. So I will sum up my experience.

Stylish reception area, dark but looks good.
Great hallways again all clean and stylish.
The rooms very luxurious and clean, the plug was slightly blocked but notified them on exit so hopefully they will sort it but as I was only there for a night I didn't make a fuss.
Bathroom is very basic and clean with some nice extras e.g. Soap, shampoo etc...
Plenty of plugs and mirrors which is unusual for a hotel room but very helpful.
The breakfast was great, once it was explained, the buffet is not the best, very basic cereal, yoghurt etc..
The hot menu is very nice and has some nice breakfast dishes along with a full English with the most delicious sausages.

Overall great stay and good hotel, as they knew it was a birthday they could have upgraded as they sent me an email saying they had availability before. This does not lower it from 5 star and is maybe slightly cheeky but just as a customer satisfaction point of view if they are unused why not put a special occasion a nice surprise... Just an idea.

Thanks to all the staff and a great nights sleep in a great comfy hotel.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2015

I dont understand the way this place presents itself, with a sense of perpetual night - brown and purple walls, grey net curtains - I find just walking in the door depressing. The one saving grace this time was the breakfast - great freshly made waffles with maple syrup and bacon. Apart from that, nothing much to distinguish it from the next corporate hotel.

Room tip: apparently some rooms have good views, so it's worth asking - I just looked into the light well
  • Trip type: Travelled on business