“Exactly what you expect from Thistle Group Hotels”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is a great chain hotel with many positive features,
Staff - were very friendly welcoming and very pleased to help in any way. Room check in was easy and everything was well explained.
Room - Very clean and modern with good decor and nicely finished. The facilities in the room were excellent including a big TV, spacious bathroom and shower and a large desk at which I could work.
Food - Evening meal was taken in my room and I went to collect it rather than pay the slightly expensive room charge for room service although this was not a hidden charge and you could, of course, chose not to pay it and either do what I did and collect or use the well appointed restaurant. Food was lovely and good value. Breakfast was a pleasant experience with cheerful and helpful staff and a very wide range of options.
Location - good for what I needed to do and easy to access for work. Central to Birmingham and close to all major road connections.
The only two downsides in my honest opinion were.
a) I stayed one night and had to pay £16.50 for car parking even with the 25% discount this seriously hikes up the cost of a room per night, the car park is close and has a connecting bridge but even so..ouch!
b) The lack of a free wifi connection seems to be symptomatic of the bigger chain hotels. All of the non chain smaller hotels I have stayed in ion recent times offer free wifi to guests but not here. This would be something I would have to consider when looking to book into a Birmingham hotel again.
Overall, a good stay, nice hotel, with good facilities, good food and nice staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for a fantastic review following your recent stay at the hotel.

I really appreciate you taking the time to feedback your overall positive experience on our staff, food, room and location and have noted your concerns with regard to wireless and parking.

I can offer your further feedback on these if you wish to contact me direct at the hotel.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed one night easy to find from Snow Hill Station. The hotel is a short walk from the city centre . It is a lovely clean hotel rooms are well equiped, we should of had a twin room but were allocated 2 singles these were fine for the inconvienience we were given free breakfast. The breakfast was lovely great selections. The staff at the hotel were all really polite and the reception staff very helpfull.. Great rates even though hotel is slightly out of the main centre we would stay again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor on hand for everything
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Tina

Thank you for your really positive review following your recent stay at the Thistle Birmingham City.

We are very popular on weekends with shopping trips and girls night outs so it is very reassuring to read you enjoyed your stay.

Please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel should you wish to return to Birmingham in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed in a twin room,which was a bit small,very clean and tidy and a good breakfast buffet. The only drawback was, that it was quite a long walk to the centre of town. We only stayed because there was a good deal on a comparison site.

Room Tip: Twin rooms are on the small side.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Thistle is well placed near the centre of Birmingham, the rooms are a reasonable size and fairly well appointed. The main drawback is the age of the building which has old window frames that let in the surrounding sounds from the A38 below. Get a room at the back, they are quieter.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back as they are less noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear John

Many thanks for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent stay.

Your positive comments on our location are very helpful and support our statement as being the gateway to Birmingham city and the first hotel off the A38.

With regards to the windows I have instructed my maintenance team to inspect the frames as all are double glazed and you should not have had the issue you experienced.

Your 4 stars on cleanliness are much appreciated and the housekeeping team will be delighted to read the scores.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great location, can't fault that. It's a 5 minute tax ride to the ballroom where friends were playing.

I had drove up later in the night to meet friends and partner who had already checked in. I did not realise you had to disclose if two people were staying in the double occupancy room. This lead to refusal of 6 people staying in 3 double rooms. In talks with the very rude, borderline horrific manager (who was very condescending and judgemental) we ended up paying for another room at 4am after 45 mins talking.

One person swore, and the manager proceeded to inform us that the police were on their way (completely unnecessary) the police established there were 6 people in now 4 rooms after searching them, and the manager asked to evict all 3 couples at 4am. He eventually said that he would allow 2 of couples to stay evicting the ones who said "[--] ridiculous". We had attended a concert coming from south Wales, being evicted wasn't really ideal.

On to the rooms, very small, dated, smells like a school dormatory. Showers pretty much the same. For the £55 it is completely and utterly horrendous, pay the extra £10 for a travelodge.

The staff are fine. Lovely actually, but all rolling their eyes and adhering to the incompetent managers with "little man syndrome". I have stayed in many a hotel for both business and leisure and cannot express my disappointment enough.

Between 6 we have had to pay £220 for 3 (then 4) rooms which were less than adequate or satisfactory.

Hugely gutted that everyone's night had to be ruined by the managements actions. Please avoid.

The fact that they welcome stag and hen dos is absolutely laughable considering their attitudes toward people.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Nadiax1987
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am aware of your booking through feedback from the team.

I am sorry that you did not have a great experience, please let me offer you some comments on your feedback.

For the security and safety of our guests we have to establish if a room is single or double occupancy and record the name of each guest. This is a common industry practice to ensure we know how many guests we have in the hotel at any one time. On arrival back to the hotel in the evening this will be checked against the in-house list as a matter of security.

The hotel does have a zero tolerance policy towards threatening behaviour and on very rare occasions will call the police if they feel the situation could get out of control.

I would like to have a opportunity to speak direct with you regarding this situation and encourage you to contact me direct through the hotel.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here with my husband and had an enjoyable stay. Efficient check in by a friendly receptionist. Good, clean room which was modern and good standard. We were going to a concert in the town hall so did not have dinner but had breakfast in the morning and it was a relief not to have to battle the stupidly packed buffet like the bigger hotels. Good choice of full English and good choice of Continental and fruits.
Overall a really positive stay, good service, friendly staff and handy location for central Birmingham

We will return!

Room Tip: Request a back facing room - view not as nice but is lovely and quiet
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Ally

Thank you for taking the time to offer positive feedback and for your 5 stars.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your night at the Town Hall and had a relaxing and enjoyable stay at our hotel. Your comments concerning breakfast are very reassuring and I fully agree that with us being a smaller hotel you can have a lazy laid back breakfast rather then feeling rushed and squashed in.

Should you look to return for another Town Hall event please check our website or contact me at the hotel direct for news of any promotions we are running at that time.

In the meantime, thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night on a free hotel deal with an insurance company. Quick check in with polite staff and a good sized, clean room with nice comfortable bed. We were overlooking the main road with a Cathedral on it, but as we were on the 6th floor we were not disturbed by any road noise. Not a bad location, about 10 mins walk to the Bull Ring and 15 mins to Broad Street. We parked on the NCP at Snow Hill as it is quite a bit cheaper, £10.50 for 24 hours. It's only a couple of mins walk away. Be prepared though, you have to pay in advance and the machine doesn't accept notes. Had we had not been staying for free, I would personally prefer the Premier Inn on Waterloo St. Better location, bit closer to the centre, but sayng that the Thistle is not a bad hotel at the right price. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to avoid road noise and use the Car Park at Snow Hill
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I am delighted to read your positive comments about check in, room size and cleanliness.

The Cathedral across the road is the historic St Chad’s Cathedral and would be well worth a visit when you next return to the city.

With regards to your car parking experience, thank you for the recommendation for Snow Hill, it is slightly cheaper, however I would always recommend the NCP car park that is located next to the hotel due to its proximity and the fact that we have a bridge linking us to it. We of course do offer a 25% discount for our guests and you pay on check out rather than up front.

Thank you once again for your time in posting the review and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.