“Excellent budget hotel”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 April 2016

When we paid £72 for dinner bed and breakfast for 2 I was highly suspicious that it was just too good to be true.....but it really was a good deal!!

Good central location, 15 mins leisurely walk to shops/ bars (if that). Clean and comfortable room, stayed on top floor, very quite nights sleep and comfortable bed. Half board offer included £40 for us to spend on dinner which was plenty - good pub grub type food.

The staff were all excellent, both on reception and in the restaurant, very friendly.
My only criticism was that there were not enough staff on at breakfast, only 2 staff and a full restaurant of ever decreasing food! While they worked hard to cook more, get more food out and eventually feed everyone (which they did) I felt most sorry for them! Lovely porridge (if you are a porridge fan).

Free internet connection and very fast too.

Room Tip: High floors maybe quieter if you choose to sleep with your window open (although you wouldn't ne...
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Zippythailand1
Simon D, Front Office Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2016

Dear Zippythailand1

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review. Im glad you had a lovely stay. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reception Manager

Reviewed 12 April 2016

Horrendous experience staying in this hotel, arrived at check in at around 6pm to find out that most of the rooms still hadn't been cleaned. Waited about 20 minutes to be allocated a room and when we did get up to the 5th floor we had been allocated the tiniest room I have ever seen, there is no way the bed was a double. I phoned down to see if we could be given something bigger to which I was told, rather rudely, no. With the room being so hot, I finally managed to fall asleep around 4am to then be woken 40 minutes later with the men in the next room screaming, swearing and beating each other up, with the walls being paper thin, we heard every word. Reception were aware of this and did absolutely nothing. The following morning, after breakfast (which was nice but not worth the £10 each we were charged) I expressed my concerns to reception who did not care. This was supposed to be a treat for my partners birthday, which was completely ruined.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank j0diecase
Simon D, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2016

Dear Jodiecase,

I really sorry to hear of the your experience during your recent stay & I would like to see if we can resolve some of the issues you faced which clearly are not expectable.

I will send you a direct message through Trip Advisor with my contact details.

Reviewed 11 April 2016

Our stag party of 16 spent 2 weekend nights in this hotel. It is well situated for shopping and clubbing, was clean and breakfasts were great. Whilst we were there, they had a problem with their boiler system but reacted very well to our complaint/concern.

I would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Simon_of_Barr

Dear Simon_of_Barr,

Thank for the kind review and comments given the issues we faced at the weekend. Obviously the breakdown of the boilers was outside of our control and & due to it being the weekend the part was not available for delivery so I created a very tense situation for everyone in the hotel.

I'm really pleased the team reacted in the right way and dealt with you in the manner you would expect. It's always difficult in these situations as I completely understand the impact from a guests perspective on your stay. I would like to apologise for the breakdown and I do hope other than this you all had a fantastic time in Birmingham.

Reviewed 10 April 2016

On the edge of the centre (easy access from Motorways down the A38) but within a short walk (20-30 minutes to the Bull Ring / New Street Station)
Hotel rooms are large, but dated.. although everything is clean and works.
Breakfast is typical English fare, and excellent quality (may be limited for non UK visitors who prefer wider choice of breads, cold meats / cheeses and salads etc).
All staff from reception, through cleaners through waiting staff are all very very friendly.
We stayed for weeks meeting, and are now plann

Room Tip: Try a room high and to the rear of the hotel (to avoid excessive noise from the highway)
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank Shuttie

Dear Shuttie,

Thanks for the great review.

Historically we had more cold meats and cheeses on the buffet but they were not being eaten during breakfast so we added some other items to compensate. If any guest would like a variation to what is on display we would be happy accommodate any reasonable requests but it great you have raised the point as we need to promote this somewhere on breakfast.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Not much you can say about this hotel as it has been built to perform a function and there is not much more to it.
The rooms are a little dated and the handle on the window in our room was hanging off and could have been very dangerous if it had fallen three floors down and hit a passer by.
The food was OK and the buffet breakfast was OK except for the conveyor toast machine which did't seem to work properly.
It is very hard to say much about this middle of the road place except it is located not far from the city centre and the bar prices seemed high.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank AMAZO1949

Dear AMAZO1949,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments.

We have looked into the issue with the window and resolved the matter so thank you for highlighting this to us to prevent any further cause for concern. We are also in the process of waiting delivery of new kit for breakfast and a new rotary toaster is part of this.

It's always important to act upon feedback so keep up the reviews & and I do hope that you will come back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Only stayed for one night. Everything was clean, free Wi-Fi, comfortable bed, good breakfast. The hotel is in a good location with nearby parking at a discounted rate. It was a 10-15 minute walk to the Bullring and shops. The only negative was that we had a double room and an extra bed for my son - it was a bit if a squeeze and I wouldn't have wanted more than one night with all three in the same room.

Room Tip: If you want decaffeinated coffee in your room take your own.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank Karen S
Simon D, Front Office Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

Dear Karen

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review. Hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reception Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2016

I stayed at the Royal Angus hotel as a part of a groupon deal with tickets to Cadbury world included. One of my best stays, I had an excellent time. I loved the location and the views from the hotel overlooking the city. I enjoyed the hotel bar it wasn't too expensive and the staff are friendly and chatty! The only fault was that we had to pay a lot for parking as there were no parking facilities only a car park next door with pricey rates.. The hotel is only a couple minutes from shops/restaurants and cafés ect if you are looking to eat out. The rooms are clean and spacious with comfortable beds. It's a very good location!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lauren P
Simon D, Front Office Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2016

Dear Lauren P

Thank you for the great review of the hotel. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Cadbury world as well.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.