“Wonderful lunch and comfortable room”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birmingham
Simpsons Restaurant with Rooms
Aylesbury
“Wonderful lunch and comfortable room”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed here as a special treat and the food was very good at lunchtime. Very comfortable bed and nice extras in the room. I agree with other reviewers that breakfast was a bit underwhelming and we struggled to get parked hence the 4 instead of 5 rating.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed over at Simpsons recently after a function, and we really enjoyed the meal. Okay, this is a review of the hotel experience rather than the food, but suffice it to say that if you're looking for something pretty special for a celebration, this would be hard to beat.

And the rooms reflect that. They only have four rooms, and each of them are very well presented, beautifully clean and with a Nespresso machine (although if you fancy a cup of tea you might be a bit stuck as they don't provide a kettle or any teabags). We stayed in the Oriental, which was a bit lacking in light but had a wonderful view across to St George's Church and you really would never guess that the centre of Birmingham was only just over a mile away. The bathroom was outstanding, with a very nice shower and L'Occitaine toiletries.

So why in the midst of all this luxury am I so fixated on the breakfast? Well, it just didn't do justice to the rest of the experience and it was the last part of that experience before we checked out. So what does breakfast consist of? A basket of croissants and baguettes. Three little pots of jam. A pot of yoghurt with granola sprinkles, and a glass of orange juice. Tea and coffee. Is there any cereal? No. Is there any porridge? No. Is there a choice of fruit juices? No. Is there any toast? No. Is there any fresh fruit? No, but they do give you a bowl of what looks like stewed fruit in juice, which might with a bit of a leap of the imagination pass for one of your five-a-day. They did say in advance it was going to be a continental breakfast so we didn't expect bacon and eggs. They also didn't say which continent, though, so I suspect it was actually a breakfast from the Antarctic continent, where supplies would probably be as limited as this!

Would I stop over again? No. You could travel quite a long way in a taxi for £160 so if you live within 70 miles of here, I'd contact a limo transfer firm and toast your own, as it were!

Room Tip: They only have four rooms and they're pretty similar in terms of standards. You can see picture...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Wombourne
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We rounded off my birthday weekend with Sunday lunch at Simpsons.
We have been many times before, but this time I hate to admit that I was a little disappointed. I daresay the set lunch menu would have been delicious but it did not stir the imagination with both main courses being "casserole" (long slow cooking type) so we opted for the a la carte but not the tasting menu, I think £85 without wine for Sunday lunch is OTT. My husband and I both had the crispy fried duck egg at £10 (which I have had at the Crown on the Wergs for £5) still don't know how they manage to keep the yoke soft - For main course we had the belly pork, which was extremely good and very well presented, we shared a platter of cheese which an interesting selection of English and foreign cheeses. The pièce de résistance for me was the rhubarb souffle! it was superb, not overly sweet, and it didn't collapse when the servers cut off the top and placed a spoonful of flavoured ice-cream into the hole - yummy!
The total cost per head was over £100 (including wine) which is probably why I felt a little disappointed - I know and appreciate that Michelin food is expensive but Angela Hartnett can do a superb 3-course lunch for £45+ (not including wine)at Murano in Mayfair! I think Luke needs to revisit his Sunday set lunch menu and bring back some of the "wow" factor without resorting to "forgotten" cuts which at the end of the day are cheap cuts of meat even when lovingly and slowly cooked

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KerryWombourne
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2011

The food was wonderful but the waiters only ever spoke to my husband, never acknowledging my presence even! It was also very rowdy in the restaurant, which was surprising & not conducive to romance.
The room was beautiful & very comfortable, but all night people were running up & down the stairs which were outside our room so we had a very disturbed sleep. Since there did not appear to be many people actually staying the night I can only assume it was the staff going up & downstairs for some reason!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 March 2009

We ate at Simpsons last night based on the good reviews. The food was absolutely excellent. OUr favourite restaurant is Le Manoir in Oxford and the food at Simpsons was on a par. The only thing that let the evening down slightly was the quality of the service. Staff were very polite but so rushed! No sooner had we finished a course they were whipping our plates away. I had literally just put my fork down from the main course and the palte was taken away and the dessert menus bought. We had to ask them to leave us for a bit to enjoy the remaining wine. Again, as soon as I had finished my glass the waiter took my galss away and I had to remind him there was more in the bottle - he said he thought I was driving which I thought was a bit random! And we weren't quite sure why they brought the petit fours to go with coffee out with the dessert - why not the coffee? They need to go to the Manoir to see how top quality service is done. But all in all, a lovely restaurant and excellent food.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
worcs,england
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Dining at Simpsons for the second time in the last few weeks I had decided I would combine the pleasure of an excellent meal with the pleasure of being able to go to bed with no worries about the amount of alcohol I had drunk or having to drive 30 miles home on a very cold December night.
So after dinner and wine we went upstairs to the Colonial bedroom ( one of the 4 they have ) and enjoyed the comfort of excellent accommodation.
Parking is right outside the front door.,The hotel itself is on the corner of a road junction but fortunately in a residential part of Birmingham so by the time you get to bed traffic is minimal and likewise in the morning. In any case the room are fairly well insulated so we were not disturbed at all
The bedroom is a very good size with an ensuite bathroom . It has a very big kingsize bed . The bathroom has all the nice little touches you would expect from a boutique hotel e.g bathrobe, little bottles of various creams/oils ,slippers etc . The bath itself was just the right size. The towel rail was very very hot .
You are provided with a lovely bowl of fruit and bottles of water but as a previous reviewer has mentioned no tea making facility which is a disappointment.
Breakfast is limited to continental either in your room or downstairs in the restaurant , we had in room.
We left feeling very happy and relaxed

• Liked — Convenience of being able to go to bed after a convivial meal
  • Disliked — no tea making provision in room, towel rail very very hot
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank mark666
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Reviewed 26 February 2008

Having eaten at the restaurant many times, I've never had the pleasure of staying until now. The food doesn't disappoint, the service doesn't disappoint, the feel of the place is spot on, so the room had a lot to live up to.

The room excelled! A super sized and extremely comfortable bed - individually decorated. My room was Orientally themed for instance, and a colleague had different furnishings.

A bowl of fruit on arrival; a complimentary bottle of still and sparkling water on the side - although no tea / coffee making facilities.

the room didn't have a trouser press though; but then again, I guess this type of boutique hotel is not really for the business traveller.

Located about 1/2 mile from the "Five Ways" end of Broad Street, it could be considered a little out of the way, but in all honesty a 25 minute leisurely stroll will take you to lots of shopping, and the night life starts within 10 minutes walk.

The bathroom was shower only, but it was a big shower unit with sunflower head and a hand held part too. Moulton Brown toiletries, masses of towels and a dressing gown on the door.

TV was probably a bit too small for the size of the room, but came with freeview. The room also had a number of local magazines on display.

Coming here for dinner, then wandering upstairs suitably fed and watered would be an excellent night.

The night porter cannot provide you with drinks should you want a night cap which I found a little odd, and the breakfast was frankly disappointing. A couple of croisants and some jam. To say the restaurant is one of the best in the city, they really let themselves down here. Also, in the night, the staff were not exactly the quietest.

There are not many rooms here, but if you don't want to stay in a typical Broad Street box hotel room and are willing to take those extra few minutes to your journey; you will be pleasantly surprised

• Liked — Boutique feel - almost like staying at somebody's house
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business