“Lunch”
Review of The Wilderness

The Wilderness
Ranked #30 of 2,500 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$65 - US$131
Description: Currently closed for refurbishment to a new site to re-open April. Multi-course menus of whatever is available to us from the British Isles. Modern British dining driven by nature, memory & place.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Simply as good as anything, anywhere.
Period.

And for a temporary location, the setting is really classy. shops can spend a fortune creating this look. When you look up at the skylights here, it's all genuine.

Reviewed March 28, 2018

Visited Wilderness the roaming restaurant in January after they had closed their previous incarnation and temporarily moved to the old Two Cats restaurant location in the Jewelry quarter. The general conditions were unacceptable. The place was freezing as there appeared to be no heating and a nasty draught blew every time the door opened making it even cooler. I kept my coat on.Some aspects of the food were good but not all I believe they were working around difficulties in the kitchen. Personally, some hot thick soup and a glass of a strong polish spirit would of been the order of the day given the cold conditions. The bread was not particularly nice being quite heavy. The accompanying wine /spirit/beer flight represented questionable value. We were told this was a temporary location and the new one was going to be elsewhere and would be amazing. Now I notice they are back at this address. I hope they have sorted out the heating and the other issues. Sure, January was a particularly cold month but this is no excuse for putting your diners through such misery.

5  Thank Michelle H
wildernessb5, Owner at The Wilderness, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Hello Michelle and thanks for your review.

Firstly and foremost, I am sorry that your experience with us left such an impression and for the wrong reasons.

We were at that location as a short-term pop-up and, as you note, we were very unfortunate to encounter numerous challenges for that pop-up. Having done many of these roaming events over the years, you normally get thrown some curve balls and I'm afraid this was no different. I can say with confidence at no point did we plan to put diners through such misery. If I had wanted to do that I would have just put my choice of music on. I am very grateful for the understanding and patience that you and our other guests extended over these issues that were - largely - out of my control.

There was heating - both central radiators and free-standing heaters but it failed multiple times during the January pop-up and - when it did work - was not working effectively. The kitchen too had it's fair share of electrical problems that limited us, as you note. We had visited the venue under its previous guise and none of these issues were apparent until we began our pop-up - I am only sorry that our guests suffered despite every possible effort from us. We curtailed the pop-up early and had engineers out almost every day to try get on top of the issues but I am well aware that it affected the experience.

We have a much larger unit in town that will open later this year, but I am keen to recommence cooking as soon as possible so yes I have taken the pop-up venue on and now signed for a lease to make it permanently mine. I have sorted out the heating and other issues and more; I've entirely stripped the venue, rewired, remodelled and added additional heaters. I think most will struggle to recognise it as it's previous incarnation.

Warm wishes
Al

Reviewed March 8, 2018

We had an amazing dinner time.
we had great recommandations from friends and we were not disappointed. Food is amazing and the staff is very welcoming.

Reviewed February 21, 2018

Having recently eaten at a number of restaurants in Birmingham its now that I realise just what bad value my visit here was. I was trying to impress and chose this establishment based on its reviews and its high position at the time on TripAdvisor. For just under £100 for a lunch for two I feel it represented poor value for money. While the food was OK taste wise there was very little of it even though it was five courses. The wine choice was limited and choice by the glass was very restricted too. We were charged £10.00 for two glasses of basic wine that is £11.00 a bottle. On top of this there was no atmoshere as the restaurant was almost empty the interior quality was questionable and its location dour. There was just one toliet out the back which was shared with next door. The Knifes and forks were black and showed all the previous users scratches. Seating was uncomfortable. Only redeeming element was the helpful service staff who we felt sorry for but we couldn`t even tip them as they couldn`t accept gratuitys unless in cash we we did not have on us. Why this place is still listed as the fifth best in Birmingham I can`t understand.

9  Thank Wolves19
wildernessb5, Owner at The Wilderness, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2018

Thanks for sharing your feedback and I am, naturally, disappointed that our first restaurant wasn't the right venue for you. We have since closed this venue and will be re-opening at a far more well appointed restaurant. As you note, there were several limits to the first venue outside my control. As a chef my priority for our temporary restaurant was the food.

I am still proud of what we achieved at Wilderness 1 and, fortunately, your feedback was not the common experience. I certainly don't think any of us want your pity.

Factually, no wines on the list here were £11 retail per bottle. Our lunch menu was £35, which I don't think extortionate for lunch but I totally appreciate that is personal taste. I can say the margin for lunch was minimal!

The last lunch that was almost empty was over 9 months ago so I am unsure as to the details of your visit. We re-open in April and I do hope you have the chance to visit with a venue that's more to your taste.

Warm wishes
Alex

Reviewed February 16, 2018

One time only have I had the pleasure of going to dine at the wilderness and I am still incredibly fond of it. I ordered the tasting menu as I did not want to miss a thing and the waiter assured me it was the best.