“Charming 80s revival stays” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

and 1 more site!
Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“Charming 80s revival stays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Those that had their second marriages here in their 40s are now returning in their 70s as Sagalouts! From my two stays here I have been given big clean rooms, been greeted very well at reception and felt that I have stepped back in tine to a good place - in my late 40's now.

If you get a good rate do give it a go - the evening meals are better than average, the breakfast is fine and the service us genuine and friendly.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank FredOnMove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

shabby hotel, dirty worn and ancient carpets, broken furniture, filthy curtains. Everything needs a total revamp. We couldn't stay overnight it was that bad. Don't even try to complain to management, they don't want to know.

We will never go anywhere near a Britannia hotel again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 359Diem
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

to make a long story short....
welcome was pathetic from a guy who never really seemed to be interested at al.
he asked for payment for the room, when i told him it has already been paid for he looked at me like i was lying to him and asked me if i was sure in a arrogant tone. i had to ask him to check where he did and proceeded with out apology.
we were give our key with a piece of paper with the room number on it, only after we had to look about how to get to our room the person behind the counter told us where to go in a tone where it was a big thing how to get to our rooms.

(Remember this is the short version..)

our key wouldn't open the door and it was a struggle.
when we got in the room it smelt of smoke but we were so tired that we opened the window and sprayed some cent. we were going to call down but.......well!
bed was so un-comfy and so were the pillows. wallpaper was ripped, carpet was dirty (remember this is the short version) bathroom was dirty and smelled.
anyway, we were tired and wanted to freshen up then go to sleep as one of us was up early. here i must admit the shower was great and freshened me rite up.

next morning.
after a tossing and turning night i ordered a full breakfast, lady on the phone was very nice and helpful. the breakfast was pathetic and may i add it was pathetic, one of the worst breakfasts i have ever had. which costed me £10. bland, over cooked, under cooked and everything else that could go wrong.
anyway, my partner was away for a meeting, when i booked the room i asked for the late check out and confirmed that it was confirmed, it was confirmed. later on that morning a lady and a security guard knocked on my door asking if i knew the check out time...... A SECURITY GUARD, what did they think i was going to do. i told them i did know and had paid for a late check out, at this point they just looked at me, agreed and walked away, no apology.

(yet again remember this is the short version)

on check out when i went to the reception the guy behind the counter didn't seem to of cared and he was having a laugh with his fellow colleague, but i just wanted out of there. i walked up to the counter where the guy saw the key in my hand, he put his hand out and i gave him the key and that was that where he gave me a pathetic "thanks"

i am in the music business and travel alot, i am sorry to say this is the worst hotel i have stayed at and would never stay again.

J

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Catterick Village
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

National Holiday 4 day trip.
We did not know where we were staying until we arrived at Royal Court so were unable to read reviews pre visit.
A very pleasant looking Hotel and lovely quiet gardens and grounds.
We usually upgrade but were unable to do so when booking ...no need....Room was very clean and we had a Jacuzzi bath...a good surprise..Only complaint was mattress was uncomfortable we could feel springs...which affected our sleep quality.

Lounges and public areas were spacious and comfortable with views of garden. If we had known of Swimming pool etc pre trip we would have used them...but finding time may have been difficult!!!

Dining rooms were pleasant.....Dinner consisted of starters(choice of 2) served at tables..then main course (Carvery and usually 2 other choices) and desserts (3-4 choices) buffet style.
Food was good and plentiful although there did not seem to be anyone in charge...and no-one explained re buffet etc..
Our party dining time was 6.00pm, unfortunately we did not arrive back at the Hotel until 5.00pm most days so felt a bit rushed.

Breakfast was Buffet style....cereals, porridge etc and full English,, toast.. again good and plentiful.
Tea and Coffee were in Flasks in the Dining Room... Unfortunately this was not good....Tea was warm and stewed as was Coffee...not a pleasant way to start the day !!!

Staff on an Evening seemed unorganised although this was not the case at Breakfast.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at The Royal Court and would stay there again.

We scored a 3 but feel with a few adjustments a 4 would be more approriate.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Christybel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Unlike some reviews we enjoyed our stay here. Staff were helpful and well presented. The food was okay and service very good. For what we needed the hotel was in a good location and provided us with everything we needed.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank jenreviewss
Cowbridge, Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Dont be fooled by the lovely pictures on the website (like I was). They were obviously taken some time ago.....If you are looking for somewhere that resembles a poor version of Butlins then this is the place for you. The place has huge potential, and in it's day I'm sure it was a marvelous venue, but it's very tired, run down and the staff very unprofessional and demotivated. An example being as soon as I checked in I asked if I needed to book for Dinner, "yes, phone the number shown" was the response, which was handily placed on the front desk, but not in the room, neither was there a menu in the room or anything about the restaurant. So I went back to reception and had to phone the number myself, which wasnt a huge problem, except no-one answered. "you'll have to go down to the restaurant and book" was the advice from reception. I duly did this and waited 15 minutes with no sign of anyone at the desk, and got blanked by a couple of young members of staff, so had to leave a note to book a table.

Food was a disapointment, dishwater soup or melon for starter, no other options. Then carvery for main course, very 80's. Beef was good, but spoilt by no Yorkshire Puds, which when I asked for them turned up cold and soggy. Veg was also very basic, along with burned or undercooked roast spuds. I was serioulsy on the lookout for Gordon Ramsay to be sitting in the corner doing a piece to camera and filming his next series of kitchen nightmares.

Gym and pool VERY busy, moldy, tired and basic. hot tub looked very nice, but in the hour I was there short of sitting on someone's lap I had to settle for just a look.

Room was spacious, but beds serioulsly not comfy, with springs sticking through mattress. Luckily I was on my own and had 2 single beds, so used the duvet from one bed to deal with the springs!!!

Throughout the rest of the complex the corridors had a few ceiling tiles left, but most were water stained or not even there, wall paper peeling, carpet damaged and threadbare etc etc

The place seemed very popular with the over 65's though, and 3 coaches of Saga louts from Essex turned up, with the evenings entertainment consisting of bingo (loudly) and a dodgy cabaret act

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris D
Dartford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Booked last minute but was very pleasantly surprised. Although I had booked a single room, I got a double with a Jacuzzi bath - lovely after a long day's travelling. Room was large and comfortable. Didn't use any other facilities, but the bed was comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo