“Tired could be a lot better”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here for Coldplay concert at Rioch stadium initially allocated room 112 worn out carpets worn out furniture the room was well past its best. The leaded windows were jammed shut with broken windows covered in clear polythene and tape and appearing to have been in that condition for some time. For £84 inc breakfast would have expected better. Moved to room 465 which was on the 3rd floor again tired furniture with unfilled rawplug fixing holes. Hotel lacking in general good maintainence inside and out. I would rate breakfast 4 out of 10 The staff however both at breakfast and behind the bar were excellant. Would I stay here again, no I am sorry but I wouldn't.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shipponrill
Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here on business and were pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews. The staff are helpful and friendly and it's a lovely walk around the grounds. It's got everything you need and we've stayed in many of the Coventry hotels and for the price this is great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ozzie_Ruby
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Arriving at the hotel, the staff was friendly enough, until we went for a quick cuppa. We requested water for top up and was given a small cup of luke warm water which the young somewhat arrogant young barman retrieved via the kitchen tap. Food was average and it was only on the last morning before we left that the restaurant staff was sickenly sweet (so we could put a tip in the bowl on one of the tables). The Only really good thing about this hotel was the room. Although not plush, it was clean, comfortable, what you would expect if booking into a conference hotel. Unfortunately i will not be going back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daisymay1961
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Needs some T.L.C the hotel is poor and in need of a good clean there was dust on most
areas the hall ways need a good hover and new wallpaper my room was a good size but
I needed to replace the beding as it had some marks on it. I had to stand around at reception and the staff where uninterested in looking after you. The food was o.k.
the hotel has nice grounds that need the grass cutting and some T.L.C to.
overall needs a lot of work.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank coach_driver39
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Those that had their second marriages here in their 40s are now returning in their 70s as Sagalouts! From my two stays here I have been given big clean rooms, been greeted very well at reception and felt that I have stepped back in tine to a good place - in my late 40's now.

If you get a good rate do give it a go - the evening meals are better than average, the breakfast is fine and the service us genuine and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank FredOnMove
Reviewed 16 May 2012

shabby hotel, dirty worn and ancient carpets, broken furniture, filthy curtains. Everything needs a total revamp. We couldn't stay overnight it was that bad. Don't even try to complain to management, they don't want to know.

We will never go anywhere near a Britannia hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 359Diem
Reviewed 15 May 2012

to make a long story short....
welcome was pathetic from a guy who never really seemed to be interested at al.
he asked for payment for the room, when i told him it has already been paid for he looked at me like i was lying to him and asked me if i was sure in a arrogant tone. i had to ask him to check where he did and proceeded with out apology.
we were give our key with a piece of paper with the room number on it, only after we had to look about how to get to our room the person behind the counter told us where to go in a tone where it was a big thing how to get to our rooms.

(Remember this is the short version..)

our key wouldn't open the door and it was a struggle.
when we got in the room it smelt of smoke but we were so tired that we opened the window and sprayed some cent. we were going to call down but.......well!
bed was so un-comfy and so were the pillows. wallpaper was ripped, carpet was dirty (remember this is the short version) bathroom was dirty and smelled.
anyway, we were tired and wanted to freshen up then go to sleep as one of us was up early. here i must admit the shower was great and freshened me rite up.

next morning.
after a tossing and turning night i ordered a full breakfast, lady on the phone was very nice and helpful. the breakfast was pathetic and may i add it was pathetic, one of the worst breakfasts i have ever had. which costed me £10. bland, over cooked, under cooked and everything else that could go wrong.
anyway, my partner was away for a meeting, when i booked the room i asked for the late check out and confirmed that it was confirmed, it was confirmed. later on that morning a lady and a security guard knocked on my door asking if i knew the check out time...... A SECURITY GUARD, what did they think i was going to do. i told them i did know and had paid for a late check out, at this point they just looked at me, agreed and walked away, no apology.

(yet again remember this is the short version)

on check out when i went to the reception the guy behind the counter didn't seem to of cared and he was having a laugh with his fellow colleague, but i just wanted out of there. i walked up to the counter where the guy saw the key in my hand, he put his hand out and i gave him the key and that was that where he gave me a pathetic "thanks"

i am in the music business and travel alot, i am sorry to say this is the worst hotel i have stayed at and would never stay again.

J