“Smart, well located and very comfortable”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here while attending a friend's birthday party. The hotel is really close to the railway station (but I never heard a train or announcement) and only minutes from all the city centre restaurants and bars.

I must admit we were a little put off on arrival as the lobby was full of both male and female 20 somethings, already dressed to the nines and wearing very little,despite the temperatures. It appears the hotel's central location and keen weekend pricing makes it an attractive proposition to the hens and stags and we were really concerned about what their return in the early hours would do to our night's sleep. More of that later!

The rooms are very nice, quite spacious with good quality furnishings and very clean and well presented. There was a huge kingsize bed (zipped together and you could feel the join which wasn't brilliant) with good quality bedding. The views from the 9th floor were great and there is the usual tea/coffee/biscuits plus the more unusual complimentary water.

The best part for me was the fabulous iMAC TV/PC and the free broadband. Well done, Doubletree, why can't all big chains provide free internet?! The chocolate cookies were pretty good too!

The hotel has a large bar on the 13th floor offering 360 degree views but it was crowded and very loud when we got there so we retreated to the bar on the ground floor with nice canal views, peace and quiet and attentive table serice. The prices were pretty good too - a martini cocktail for £6.50 in the city is very good.

We never did hear the returning crowds so there must be pretty good sound proofing. The air con noise probably helped although when it reached temperature it made an unbelievably annoying whirring sound on a recurring basis and amde me get up and switch it off at 6am. Not sure if that was just in our room or a common problem.

All in all, you get a lot for your cash and it was a great stay - just leave the aircon on full blast to stop the whirring niggle.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed one night whilst with colleagues on Business as we had a meeting next day at an office nearby. Only one niggle would be that the hotel was difficult to locate by car - Sat Nav kept sending us in the wrong direction! Couldn't find the hotel car park so parked just down the road "underneath the arches" which was £12 overnight, which I think is the same price as if you park in the hotel's own car park, which I think is also "underneath the arches" but nearer the front door.

Long queue for checkin but the staff were friendly and I appreciated the warm cookie as I was cold and tired. The lifts were quick and efficient very soon I was in my room enjoying an Earl Grey tea with my cookie. Before this hotel was Doubletree by Hilton it was known as the Mint Hotel but the room with a shower and an iMac reminded me very much of a City Inn I had stayed at in Birmingham and so it proved to be - the bathrobe behind the bathroom door had a City Inn laundry marker inside!!

had a little difficulty locating the hairdryer which I finally ran to ground inside a bag in a drawer inside the wardrobe - I guess I am too used to the type that are welded to the wall, but having a "real" hairdryer was a nice touch. The "welded" ones can often prove problematic if they don't work properly as the hotel can't easily replace them.

Very nice powerful shower with The White Company toiletries made for a good experience. So often the plumbing in British hotels is appalling but couldn't complain about this - plenty of hot water and very clean.

Went out to eat at a local Indian Restaurant near Leeds station which was crowded but reasonably priced at around £22 per head with a couple of drinks.

Really appreciated the iron and ironing board in the room which were clean and worked properly - my clean blouse was very crumpled but looked as good as new after a good steam.

Good nights sleep with no distrubances. Appreciated the heating controls as I like the room nice and warm - some people might find the air conditioning a little annoying but I like some white noise. Bed was a little softer than I would like as the onyl complaint.

Appreciated the iMac in the morning as could check my email before work whilst having a cup of tea. Good TV reception.

Breakfast downstairs was excellent, cooked to order and quickly served. Tables are mainly for 2 and there were 3 of us and we had to sit at separate tables which was the only niggle.

Enjoyed my stay, very comfortable and had I been on my own would have happily eaten room service and stayed in front of the computer - these rooms have everything a single business traveller could wish for.

Checkout was fast and easy. being so central meant we were at our meetign barely 15 minutes after leaving the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Styed here for business and must say it is head & shoulders above the other Leeds hotels I have stayed in (Cosmopolitan & Metropole). Everything is here that you would expect. Free Wi fi, Apple TV which has a key board for Interent access, White Company toiletries (albeit large bottles screwed to the wall), good amounts of tea & coffee, good quality biscuits, a safe and an iron. However, bed and pillows were somewhat firm to say the least. Bathroom was sparkling although it had a big walk in shower there was no bath. I normally request a room away from the lift before hand but forgot on this occasion and sure enough was given the room by the lift. I was so tired though that I decided to not ask for another. I need not have worried because it was very quiet and only heard some voices once. Also, the railway can be heard very faintly but not enough to cause any concern.
Breakfast was very nice. No buffet for the cooked breakfast, cooked fresh on request so nice & hot. Buffet had a good selection including pastries, cheese, ham, smoked salmon. The only reservation I had was that the hotel is situated in a plazza which you had to walk down a very quiet small road & over a bridge. Although there are numerous restaurants in the Plazza there were not many people around & it was quite dark & quiet when I was there. Perhaps something to be aware of if you are a lone woman visiting. I'm sure on a summer evening it would have a lovely buzz about the place with outside seating. All in all, a good choice for a Leeds hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Only a one night stay but my experience was good. All staff professional, check in easy. Everything in the room worked, although a little on the plain side for decor. Good location with bars and restaurants close by. Shop around for the best rates as the full rate is a bit steep. Hotel parking additional £12.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed here with my husband for valentines day, the room was lovely and service was great. It's a short walk to shops and found lots of places to eat. First class hotel definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Everything was first class with a very good value weekend deal.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the canal while others overlook the railway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here for the weekend. It was a great location just five minutes walk to the main shopping centre. Plenty of places to eat and drink. Hotel was lovely and clean, staff were very welcoming. Sky top bar was excellent with some fantastic views but you need to get there early as it gets really busy. All rooms have an iMac tv great if you have kids keeps them entertained for hours. A real must stay.

• Stayed: February 2012