“A must stay in Windsor”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
“A must stay in Windsor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is the first time that I have stayed in A Macdonald hotel, I saw them at a trade show and decided to give them a try. When we arrived at the hotel, we instantly had the wow factor as we entered reception - I was struck with the immaculate cleanliness of the reception area and the very warm welcome we received from the reception team. Upon a quick and easy check in we went to the room, where the colour scheme of browns and creams was ultra-modern with a modern twist. It seems they genuinely have thought about how they can make guests stay better, for example they have invested in ipod docking stations and even a heated mirror (anti mist) which again is showing they are above and beyond the other chains.

Every part of the hotel had the wow factor, and what made it a top stay for me was that EVERY one of the staff seemed to enjoy their job and actually wanted to make sure the stay was welcome. I would strongly reccomed this hotel, I look forward to trying the rest of the chain.

My only complaint is that the car parking is over priced @ £25 a day, the Mercure hotel next door has parking for £15 a day and you can use that!

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have a bath, but you can request one at the time of booking. The ones with a show...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy R
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Jeremy R,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a positive and helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Beverley Molmans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Prior to arrival my booking experience was handled very well. As I was travelling with my sister and daughter my needs and concerns were dealt with promptly and professionally. I did however book the carpark at a later date and was only made aware of the situation of the carpark from other reviews on this site. Fortunately a policeman guided us in the right direction and we abandoned the car with the valet, ran through the hotel and arrived to see the changing of the guard! (something else to consider as a few minutes later and we would of been held up as the road is closed)
We had an executive suite 117 with Castle View (you can just see the Castle) opposite Guildhall and the crooked house.
The room was very spacious and absolutely beautiful. The furnishings and decor are very tasteful and of a very high quality. The bathroom and cleanliness throughout were of a very high standard and immaculate. I have recently stayed in a supposed 5* and apparently it is acceptable to have mould in your bathroom because it would appear I am too fussy, for that I make no apology!!
Lots of mirrors and sockets ALL in the right place, a minor detail but we were 3 girlies!
One irk of mine and I have taken it up with other hotels is why the sofa beds are made up when you arrive. Not only is it in the way but you have no where to sit.
The turndown service was a surprise and the robes and chocolates laid out a lovely touch. We really felt cared for.
As we were on the front there was a little traffic noise but didn't keep us awake.
Caleys for breakfast again did not disappoint, the ambiance and atmosphere were lovely and made for a fabulous start to a sunday. We were attended to as soon as we walked in, the buffet with a large selection of cereals, fruits and cold cuts were all laid out on the bar. Our orders for cooked breakfasts were taken and what a delight to have it brought to you, nothing at all was too much trouble. The best cooked breakfast I have had in a long time.
How sad were we to leave but having had a taste of the Macdonald brand I shall undoubtedly be back for more.

Will write seperate reviews but purpose of trip was to visit Mercedes-Benz World for a driving experience for my daughter. We visited Windsor Castle which is well worth it and took us a good 3 hours. We also booked a tour of Eton which although was only an hour was very informative and gave us a sample how the college has progressed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wallychops
Dear Wallychops,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we appreciate such a helpful and detailed review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was my third stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, as always, and the room was absolutely beautiful. The location is perfect for sightseeing and shopping and the hotel is clean and luxurious. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Windsor.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear pollygibbs,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a positive review.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Did use the hotel parking and whilst not cheap was well worth the convenience...a few steps to the rear entrance. Check in was easy and the concierge was helpful. Had asked for a quiet room and certainly got that up on the 5th floor. Room was lovely. Didnt eat in the hotel as so much choice on the doorstep. Watched the changing of the guard from the front door - impressive!

Stayed April 2012
Dear Aly A,

Leirvik, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Wonderful hotel, location, rooms and service. One of the best breakfast I had in years

• Stayed April 2012
Dear morghi76,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your breakfast experience and the service you received from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My girlfriend treated me to a weekend in this hotel for my birthday. All I can say is what a fantastic choice she made. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and left on Monday and I honestly couldn't say a bad word about anything. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all polite, very smart and clearly took great pride in their work. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the Saturday evening and I must say the food was superb, as was breakfast on both mornings. The hotel is slap bang in the middle of the High Street opposite the Castle which is perfect.

Having introduced my girlfriend to Horse racing(and her liking it) I look forward to many more stays at this hotel and trips to Windsor races!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard V
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Richard V,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

Treated my wife to a night's stay in the feature suite with our own balcony overlooking the castle. Apart from the most beautifully laid out and really tastefully decorated suite, the outstanding things about this hotel are it's staff and it's decor. Right from the moment we dropped our car off at the valet car park we were greeted with genuine courtesy and friendliness. This continued at reception, dinner and even the young girl who brought us our breakfast the next morning in our room had such a warm smile and wished us a great day. The hotel is an oasis of tranquility and I loved its low moody lighting and furnishings. And you only have to step outside its front doors and you're right in the thick of Windsor high street with its shops and gorgeous castle backdrop. The hotel is reasonably priced and our steaks in its restaurant Caley's were divine. Truly one of the finest hotels I've stayed in and even though we live only 30 minutes drive away, we'll be back soon.
Oh and when the car park valet presented us with our car back they had even cleaned the windscreen for us.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank santryman
Dear santryman,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, the décor of the hotel, your restaurant experience and the service you received from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.