“Not what we expected”

Viva L'italia Windsor
Price range: US$7 - US$39
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are the only and authentic italian (not chain) restaurant in windsor with authentic italian chefs from naples. Our food is only cooked in the proper napoletan way and we make our fresh pizza from scratch as must to be done and as we do in napoli. Food must to be real and authentic so try us first and than you'll know. I hope to see you soon :) ciao massimo
Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

We were attracted to this restaurant as the sign in the window said it was authentic and family run. Considering all the chain restaurants nearby this seemed the better option. Sadly we were misled. The restaurant was virtually empty when we arrived (which didn't bother us) but still the food took an age to arrive. Ordinarily this wouldn't be any issue as we were not in any rush and freshly cooked food is always worth the wait. However the garlic bread starter was ok but not great, very dry and chewy. To be fair my pasta main course was acceptable but the pasta was not fresh and the same as you would get in any chain restaurant. My husband's main course of chicken breast in a sauce was awful. The sauce was stone cold when it arrived. We informed the waiter and he arranged for the meal to be re cooked. When the second attempt arrived the sauce looked completely different. It was not pleasant and only tasted of butter with a few mushrooms thrown in. Also by this time I had finished my main meal which wasn't ideal.
We're reasonable people and understand that mistakes can be made, however there was no apology and the attitude of the staff was poor. I notice that the restaurant owner will reply to all negative comments in a very defensive manner so I expect the same will happen following my review. You will see from my other reviews that I rarely leave negative feedback as it has to be very bad for me to complain, however in this instance the food and service was so poor that I felt I had to make this report.
Restaurants can have bad days however the recent reviews would indicate this is the norm. If they have as many awards as the owner references then they must have been won a while ago when circumstances were different. We have a friend called Luigi who is from Napoli and has his own restaurant. The food that this restaurant provides could not be more different than what our friend Luigi cooks. It's a shame as we had a wasted evening. We visit Windsor regularly but sadly we will not be returning to this restaurant.

8  Thank Tjsymons
massimo q, Owner at Viva L'italia Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018

How can I take serious a review written by someone who eat only in pubs?
Lol
Sorry but your pretended Italian food knowledge makes me laugh......but I will be happy to have a good challenge with your Italian friend chef Luigi at any time.....lets do it please in front to my tv odiens here and in Naples..... the public will than decide who is the best
I am sure that Luigi knows how to cook .....as you stated .... so.....lets have fun
Game on
Baci massimo quagliozzi

Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

Viva Italia has delicious garlic flatbread, penne amitriciano and huge calzones. There was no food leftover. The service was slow and the food took a long time.

Reviewed December 30, 2017

Almost everything about this restaurant was below the standard expected of a family run independent Italian restaurant, and we have been to a few.

Harsh lighting and shabby décor and cold, unfriendly service was topped off with average food. The starter of garlic bread just tasted of burnt garlic and was dry and the pizza and pasta was bland at best.

I would not recommend this restaurant as a warm family dining experience but probably ok for a quick lunchtime pizza

5  Thank mmynard2017
massimo q, Manager at Viva L'italia Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2018

Dear POSSIBLE real client
i can see from your profile that you love to give negative feedback to 90% of the place that you had lunch or dinner and i will leave to my REAL CLIENTS the pleasure to comment on you.....
We aim to have one of the best customer service in the area and also the BEST FOOD FRESH PREPARED and not FROZEN as you may use to your loved chain restaurants.
I am a proper italian and as proper italian i can say that there is nothing wrong to wait a bit to get service especially if we do it in a proper way and NOT MICROWAVED AS YOU ARE USE TO.
If you were looking for a fast food or fast service you could gone to MC DONALD not to our AUTHENTIC italian restaurant.
I SUGGEST A TRIP TO ITALY/NAPLES BEFORE TRYING ANY OTHER "REAL" ITALIAN PLACE IN UK so you can understand better your mistakes.
I will be very happy to share a dinner with you (ON ME) ONCE YOU HAD YOUR TRIP TO NAPLES/iTALY AND COMMENT ABOUT YOUR REAL ITALIAN FOOD EXPERIENCE.....till than i can only wish you a Great Christmas and happy New Year hoping that it will bring to you a bit of more honesty in your furthers comments
CIAO MASSIMO
THE ONLY REAL ITALIAN CHEF IN WINDSOR....WINNER OF 19 FOOD AWARDS IN 4 YEARS IN UK
CIAOOOOO AND FORZA NAPOLIIIIII

Reviewed December 21, 2017

17 of us came here for our Christmas party. To be fair the pizza was ok, but all the other food was very bland. Service was terrible, I have dined in a lot of places but here is the worst service i have ever had in my life. We had to ask twice for the drinks, ask twice for the desert menu, ask twice for the bill. everything took a lifetime. Worse dining out experience of my life. Very over priced for what it was.

6  Thank davec1980190742
massimo q, Owner at Viva L'italia Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2018

Dear POSSIBLE real client
I will be very happy to share a dinner with you (ON ME) ONCE YOU HAD YOUR TRIP TO nAPLES/iTALY AND COMMENT ABOUT YOUR REAL ITALIAN FOOD EXPERIENCE.....till than i can only wish you a Great Christmas and happy New Year hoping that it will bring to you a bit of more honesty in your furthers comments
CIAO MASSIMO
CIAOOOOO AND FORZA NAPOLIIIIII

Reviewed December 19, 2017 via mobile

Great food, lovely atmosphere and great service. Thankyou for the amazing meal! Carbonara was beautiful and the pizza looked amazing which my partner had

massimo q, Owner at Viva L'italia Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2017

Dear clients/friends
Thank you for appreciate our authentic/not prepacked /real italian food and for having great time with us.
I really hope to host you again and surprising you all with other authentic napoletan /italian dishes cooked in the only and real italian way.(AS GRAND MUM RECIPES WANTS).
CIAO and grazie