All reviewsoverlooking the riverconservatory restaurantjunior suiteriverside locationfrench doorsmain buildingcheesecakeoutside seatingroyal worcestersunny daybar menuafternoon teafunction roomwedding receptioncity centrewedding venuelovely hotel
Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

There seems to be a problem with too-hot bedrooms. I wonder if our rooms (25 and 26) were directly above a boiler room. Despite the weather being unseasonably cool the bedrooms were unbearably hot. Fans left in the rooms suggested that the hotel staff are aware of the problem. Complimentary water would have helped ease the situation - instead we brought our own in. The décor is a little tired throughout, and crockery and cutlery were a little grubby at breakfast. On the upside, our rooms were spacious with great views of the river, and breakfast was delicious.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank buchanv
DHHGeneralManager, General Manager at Diglis House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2017

Thank you for your review. Regrettably we are unable to have air conditioning at the hotel so in the hot weather rooms can become a little warm. As you mentioned we will happily provide fans for those guests that need them. We are constantly refurbishing areas in and around the hotel as part of our rolling refurbishment programme, but thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

I stayed in Room 33, booked as a single. It is tucked away in the cottage at the back. At first I thought it was a little pokey and reminded me of a garage. After my stay I considered it to be possibly the quietest room in the hotel and I'd definitely ask for it again. The shower room was large and spotlessly clean. Altogether a lovely room. I spent a lot of time sat in the garden admiring the views, so table service would have been appreciated. In fact any kind of service would have been appreciated. One morning I waited 10 minutes at the bar but no staff were there so I gave up. The same afternoon the small bar was having difficulty handling the number of customers enjoying the sunshine. Cream tea was lovely. Lasagne and chips was overcooked and cold.
To sum up, I'd stay there again but eat elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that your enjoyed your room you are quite correct in saying it is in one of the quieter areas of the hotel. As a resident in the hotel you are able to call to reception for drinks and ask them to be delivered to the garden if this is where you are sitting, if this was not explained on checkin I apologise.

Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

My mum and I arrived mid week for a 2 night stay in the 2 bedroomed suite to celebrate a birthday. On checking in the young receptionist has friendly and helpful. We unpacked into our lovely suite (annexe block was VERY hot due to the warm weather) and rang down to reception to request a bucket of ice and two wine glasses. Having already stowed water, wine and pop in the fridge we waited for our ice. NOTHING! I rang down to reception, which was now an older lady, to ask where the ice was - to be asked...."Are you drinking champagne or wine?" I explained that we had wine and water and pop....I was then told that i would have to pay a corkage fee of £15 to drink my own wine in my own room! I was dumsbstruck....I have never in all my world wide travels been asked to pay corkage on drinks consumed in my room. My other issue was that I was not told of this policy when bookng my room or when checking into my room. The older receptionist was quite curt so i asked to speak to the manager about this. On speaking to the food and beverage manager (I was told there was no other manager) he informed me that "LICENSING LAWS ARE THE REASON THEY CHARGE CORKAGE- NOT HOTEL POLICY!" This is not true (please all who read this do look this up). I asked the manger to show me a copy of this information...he refusef....I asked him to write this statement down and sign it...he refused. I asked why I had not been informed of this policy at the booking stage or checking in stage, his reply "WELL RESPECTABLE PEOPLE WOULD SAY THEY HAD THERE OWN WINE ON CHECKING IN" not too sure what he's implying here? But I've never checked in an declared the contents of my bags - have you? I jokingly offered the information that I also had a packet of my own crisps and would I be charged for opening them....his reply "We would prefer you to buy our crisps" and likened my snack to eating a Macdonalds meal in the room? My mum asked why there was a fridge in the room if we were not to have our own drinks...he seemed to have no answer for this.

We decided that we would leave.

I am sure that any comment from the hotel about this review will end "....well perhaps this isnt the place for you then" to try and be-little my view point...but be careful Diglis House Hotel...pretty soon its not going to be the place for anyone that doesn't want to feel mis-informed, ripped off and lied to.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank lisacJ6438LJ

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you felt the hotel corkage policy was excessive. Most establishments that serve alcohol will charge a corkage fee for you to bring your own alcohol. These fees would not be advertised or advised at the point of booking, but given on request. It is a policy that has been in place for some time and those guests calling for ice buckets and glasses for their own alcohol are happy to pay the charge levied.
In regards to licensing laws I feel that I must clear up a misunderstanding, at no time did the manager advise the reason for corkage was due to licensing laws, but down to hotel policy.
We would happily place any further bookings you wish to make

Reviewed August 29, 2017

We stayed at Diglis House Hotel for 1 night 26th August 2017. Our original booking was for a superior double but we needed to change to a larger room to include our disabled son close to the arrival date. The hotel changed us to a junior suite which was perfect. It was on the ground floor and had french doors to the private residents garden right next to the river. Our friends stayed in a superior double upstairs and were equally delighted with their room.

We found the staff and general service at this hotel exceptional, especially given they were full and had a wedding on during our stay. We ate in the restaurant and the food was great, nothing at all but praise. Thanks to the staff for a great stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the annexe, with a river view it is lovely!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for your great review. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

We had a mid-week lunch at Diglis House hotel in the middle of August, 2017. We were a party of four. Our friends lived quite close to Worcester and had heard good things about the restaurant, but all four of us ended up being very disappointed.

The hotel is in an excellent location on the banks of the Severn River, which is quite small at that stage. To see the canal boats and various other motorised water craft drifting quietly past the windows was most relaxing.
The hotel has a quiet bar with very comfortable seating in the foyer area. We arrived very early but found this was a good place to sit and watch the world go by while we waited for our friends.

We ate in the Conservatory, which was bright and airy and very comfortable, with crisp, white linen table cloths and decent-quality cutlery and glassware. The hotel also had extensive outdoor terraces, which on the day we were there were bathed in sunlight, with bright umbrellas over the tables to keep things a little bit less bright than otherwise might have been the case. We stayed inside as the wind was getting up a bit and things may have got a bit uncomfortable in the open air.

So – so far, so good. But then things went downhill.

We found the lunch menu was very small, to the extent that three of us couldn’t spot anything we much liked other than fish and chips. (A check of the website while preparing this review didn’t find any menu resembling the one we had on the day.) The fourth person ordered vegetarian lasagne. There was a small wine list, and two of us had a glass each, while the ladies settled for soft drinks.

We asked for a look at the dessert menu while we were waiting (Ms Crooksmeister lives for desserts) but were told that the restaurant didn’t do desserts for lunch during the week. We thought this was passing strange, but didn’t comment.

Pretty soon, the waiter came back with the news that the vegetarian lasagne was not available, so a Coronation Chicken sandwich was ordered instead.

After a longish wait – which was OK as we were having a nice conversation - the waiter returned with our food. The sandwich was undistinguished but acceptable, and the three lots of fish looked OK. Until we started digging into them. Two of the three lots were grossly overcooked, as were the accompanying chips. There was very little fish remaining inside the batter, but at least there was some. Your reviewer’s batter contained zero fish. None, zilch, nada. It had been cooked so long that the fish had simply melted away.

We called the waiter and complained. He rushed away, taking the offending plate with him and pretty soon a replacement dish appeared. This lot of fish, and the chips, was cooked as it should have been. However, the replacement process had been so rushed that the oil used to cook the dish hadn’t been allowed to drain sufficiently with the result that both fish and chips were very oily. Your reviewer shared part of his fish with the male companion, who was severely under nourished at that stage.

We were then offered desserts at no charge to make up for the problems with the main courses, despite the fact that we had previously been told there were no desserts. Ms Crooksmeister had a tolerable cheesecake, and the two others had ice cream, but your reviewer asked for coffee, which was also tolerable.

Short bottom line. This restaurant has the surroundings to support a top-quality establishment. But the hotel needs to decide whether it is actually in the midweek lunch-time business. If it is, it needs significantly to smarten up its act.

Stayed: August 2017
2  Thank Crooksmeister

We appreciate comments good or bad and thank you for taking the time to let us know. I have spoken with the Head Chef and passed on your review. It is very rare that we receive negative feedback regarding our Fish and Chips this being one of our popular dishes. Our dessert menu is normally served in the evenings but would have been offered as a gesture of good will for the inconvenience you incurred. I would sincerely hope this experience would not deter you from visiting us again.