See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 20, 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the hostel part of the estate house and were left disappointed after a weekends stay. On arrival the house was ridiculously hot yet our room had a damp, musty feel to it. The bed sheets felt particularly damp and this, combined with the noise of a boiler in the background, did not make for a brilliant nights sleep. It would also have been nice to have a sink in the room but I appreciate this may be difficult to implement. The breakfast was ok. The only saving grace was cook who was very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2016

We arrived early and were treated to tea and biscuits by a very friendly member of staff. Due to stay at the bunkhouse we were "upgraded" to the B&B, which having just walked across Wales was glorious. The owner then gave us a lift into Aberystwyth so we could have a relaxing evening with a pint of beer and fish and chips on the prom. The following morning we were treated to a lovely breakfast and the offer of a lift to the railway station.

Room Tip: Balcony room is lovely
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank RogerB475
Reviewed May 17, 2016

We booked a twin room while enroute to Aberystwyth and found the proprietor very friendly on the phone. We arrived just at dark after a bit of confusion with the signs at the road. We were shown to our room which REAKED of Raid bug spray, so much so that I had a headache and felt sick within an hour. We tried opening a window but flies came in which is likely why the raid was used in the first place (found a couple of dead ones behind the TV). We had forgotten to ask about wifi so I went downstairs but could not find the woman who had shown us to our room so I knocked on the glass doors to get the attention of a young woman watching TV. She was very surly at first saying I should find the owner but when I said there was no sign of her and I was wanting wifi she said that there was no password needed. We were apparently sharing a washroom with other guests so neither of us felt comfortable showering so it was nice to have a sink in our room for washing up. Also, the owner brought me milk for tea as there was none in the room, which was very nice. There are no locks on the room doors which is a bit unsettling and would be totally unacceptable if we had been staying more than one night and wanted to leave anything in the room.
Breakfast was okay and although the location was very quiet we are still a bit perplexed about the confusion with the signs and which place is which (we thought we were staying in the big house when we looked online). Overall, the decor is very dated but the room was clean enough and the beds were comfortable but nothing could make up for the terrible smell of the bug spray. Just thinking about it now turns my stomach!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2015

I initially booked a hostel bed in this place, but because I was the only guest that night I was given a private room instead. The room was very clean and tidy and the service was really nice and friendly. The owner offered me different breakfast choices as well. I would be very happy to stay at this place again.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2015

The best B&B I have ever visited! Plas Dolau is unique, charming and a jewel to be patronized and enjoyed.
This grand serenely mature mansion, offers excellent value for money and a multitude of history.
Nevertheless; facilities are spotlessly clean.
The proprietor is a most sincere and sublime host, who loves and cares for it.
Everybody should support it and I hope it continues.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family