“Great, but could easily be perfect”
Review of Stones Bistro

Stones Bistro
Ranked #22 of 127 Restaurants in Caernarfon
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Housed in what was a 17th century temperance house, Stones Bistro re-opened (ON APRIL 2014) as a full licensed restaurant serving Welsh, Italian and international specialties. Our old typical house inside the walls-town want to be a comfortable modern restaurant but in the same time we want offer you an old style scenario! Our Italian Chef has multiple long experince in Italy, Europe, Cruises, South Pacific & Wales. We will offer you our passion for the best food with high quality of products. Our fishes and our meats are locally and fresh supplied. Stones Bistro is a slow food restaurant. All our meals are freshly and cooked at the moment.We will propose you international aperitives, cocktails, liqueor Coffee and wines from Italy, Chile, Australia, California. A good selection of bottled beer and draft beer. Follow us on Facebook for the seasonal and weekly specials: Stones Bistro, Caernarfon Thank you. OPEN LUNCH (from June to September and all the Bank Holiday open 7 days on 7
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Visited Caernarfon for a week and decided to try Stones Bistro based on TA reviews. We booked a table for early on a Wednesday evening - probably not necessary as only one other table in use. The restaurant is fairly quaint and very Italian style with checked tablecloths. Food was excellent, really tasty and presented well. It seemed pretty much everything came with a side of chunky garlic bread and salad which was a nice bonus. Good selection on the menu and it seemed everything was freshly cooked. I had mussels as a starter, followed by hake and prawn ginger noodles. Very generous portions. Great wholesome food. There would be a couple of things that would have improved our dining experience - 1. The young waiter and waitress really were bland with no character and no interest. Yes, they served the food and cleared it away and were pleasant enough, but you had to ask them for so much (a spoon would have been nice with the chowder). 2. The King Scallops were really small and due to a menu printing error it was a bit misleading (8 molosses) next to the description rather than with the other allergy references, at the bottom. Overall, a nice restaurant, with great, freshly cooked delicious food. I would certainly visit Stones again, especially if they could train their staff a bit. Thank you.

Date of visit: July 2017
Stonesbistro2013, Owner at Stones Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2017

Hi chomchomvn. Thank you very much, I'm really happy you enjoyed our food, yes, it is all fresh and cook at the moment. Garlic bread and salad are combined with sea-food dishes.
The king scallops are diving, even if not big. I'm sorry you've not got a perfect service. Wednesday is the calmest day of the week and it is the day off of my main waitress, sorry about that, it is not easy to find a very well trained staff part-time, but surely I will take care of your tips. About the nr.8 (allergy reference about mollusc) it was a bit mislending, I changed the Menu and I didn't know how to add it on the bottom, I am dolt with technology and charts, sorry. Thank you for everything and hope to welcome you back soon, we'll be enthusiastic to serve you another great dinner.

Reviewed July 15, 2017 via mobile

Food was excellent, although service less so. Cannot fault the quality of the excellent food.
Waiting staff seem a little confused, and may need further training, asking customers to settle their bar bill when they are in the middle of eating their food is certaintly not the way about things.
As customers in a large group at the restaurant for many hours (many hours after paying drinks bill too) - the payment of the drinks bill could certainly have waited until their food was eaten!
Will visit again.

Date of visit: July 2017
Stonesbistro2013, Owner at Stones Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2017

Thank you Welshteacher, it was a big work to prepare your big party '' a la carte'' but I am, we are, very happy it was a success. My deepest apologies for the wrong moment of my waiter, you are completely right. It was a moment of confusion because: I gave instruction to them, to write the drink by table number and to cash at the end , but most of you ordered and payed immediately instead, Really sorry about that. Today we had a meeting and we discussed about this point too, before to read your beautiful and helpful review. We never stop to improve. Thank you.

Reviewed July 13, 2017

Trawled Caernarfon recently for a restaurant to celebrate my partner's special birthday and decided upon Stones. Starters were good - mushrooms in cheesy garlic sauce and Greek salad. However, main dish of seafood special was disappointing as lobster was more like a king prawn!! Also, sirloin steak was too thin and very dry. Wine prices on menu were for 500 ml jug so nasty surprise when bill arrived as were charged per bottle price.

Date of visit: July 2017
Stonesbistro2013, Owner at Stones Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

6 July, h 10.50 pm., you were the last 2 customers. Am I living the dream? Are you without shame or are you maliciously related? When my waiter came to ask if you are happy with your food, your answer to him (a young man), was yes, we are impressed! After eating the whole venetian pasta with lobter and king prawn (complitely empty plate) and the 96% of your steak (only a small bite in an empty plate left) you complained:'' too small and overcooked, I don't want to pay for it''. Then your horrible racist/brexit comment to my Welsh waiter about my Italian waitress (she already left, she finished her shift). At the end, at the moment of the bill, your question about the price of the whole bottles drank: If the price of a jug of 500ml is £ 10, a whole bottles (750ml) is £ 15. Mathematics!!! Finally you left, giving an intentional ''personal'' tip of £3 to my Welsh waiter (here my staff sharing equally them tips). Dear Lady (intentional capital letter), you own me the steak eaten. Hope you understand the ''refinement'' of my last sentence to you and your prank review. I notice that in all your life you reviewed only us!

Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

Excellent seafood and charming service. I highly recommend this place. My friend had a chowder - Polynesian seafood chowder I think - extremely tasty.

Date of visit: July 2017
Stonesbistro2013, Owner at Stones Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2017

Hi Margaret, my staff and me, we are really happy to read about your satisfaction. We have the Polynesian seafood chowder on the menu from when we opened and we can not take off it because it is very much appreciated, as you confirmed. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 11, 2017

Walked in off the street, no booking. The place has a welcoming atmosphere and the staff are polite and attentive.
I had sea bass which was excellent and my husband had haddock.
We will definitely return

Date of visit: July 2017
Stonesbistro2013, Owner at Stones Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2017

Thank you Shop 15, really glad you found us and you enjoyed our fishes. Thank you for your time to review us and hope to welcome you back soon.