Review Highlights
Mountains, Monks and Books tour with James

We were a family of four with two young children. We started the day in the morning at 9am and had... read more

Reviewed August 18, 2018
Shu Hui K
via mobile
Fantastic Tour!

We had arranged with James Cresswell, of Brecon Beacons Tours, for his “Four Waterfalls Tour” in... read more

Reviewed July 11, 2018
Sue_Phil559
Rochester, Minnesota
via mobile

All reviews picnic lunch local knowledge hay on wye day tour national park stunning scenery pen y fan off the beaten track james geology itinerary monkeys cardiff mountains horseshoe beacons route
Reviewed April 1, 2018

Our family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids took a family tour with James. We visited bronze age forts and waterfalls, with strolls up hills and around walking tracks.

James is a smart bloke and uses this for good - it was very educational and interestingly so. James did not just dryly lecture, he spoke about what we saw and what we and our children were interested in.

James's knowledge and skills, allowed him to alter the tour to suit our interests and abilities, we ended up with some scrambling, an extra waterfall, 5000 year old tree, explanations of geology, geography, history and culture.

A mark of a great tour/group/adventure guide is being able to do offer a variety of experiences, but provide what the group with you wants/needs, to be focused on the group. James did this for us, and I am very grateful for it.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone and their family.

Cheers
Ian

1  Thank nus67
JamesRCresswell, Owner at Brecon Beacons Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Thank you for the review Ian. It was a pleasure to guide you and your family. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

"I can't" is not an option as a single mum and this man made that so much easier to tackle. As a mum of an adventure hungry 7 year old boy a trip to the brecon beacons to see waterfalls sounded perfect - until you weigh the options of getting lost, injured in the middle of nowhere, terrifying heights and tough terrain. So sensibly I investigated and found the perfect guide.

James was amazing. As a single parent he totally understood my hang ups and was experienced and able to step in when required with my son. I had total faith which led to an amazing experience for my little boy tat otherwise would have been impossible.

The waterfalls are amazing. Breathtaking. The terrain was hard going and death crossed my mind a couple of times but I was encouraged to push on and put death of for a bit longer by James haha.

If you are just about healthy enough and have sensible children James is the person to go to to make adventures possible and the sights are well worth overcoming any height fears.

JamesRCresswell, Owner at Brecon Beacons Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2018

Thank you so much for the review. I greatly enjoyed guiding you and your son!

Reviewed March 30, 2018

We found James online when we arrived in Abergavenny; my husband thought his castles tour would be a good way for us to get out and see some of the ruins in the countryside since we did not have our own car. And he was right! We connected with James via email and arranged for him to pick us up in his minivan at the Abergavenny bus station. Our tour was just the three of us: me, my husband, and James. We did the full day castles tour and hiring James was a great idea because that allowed us to get out and see little places we would not have seen otherwise. Also we were fortunate to have a beautiful, sunny day, but the tour would still have been fun on a cloudy or slightly wet day.

We saw several different castle ruins, along with multiple churches which were often near the castles. Later in the day after getting to know us a bit, James suggested that we divert from his "regular" route and look at a ruined abbey, so we did, and it was a smart choice since that was one of my favorite sights of the day.

Things we enjoyed: getting off the beaten track out into the countryside; seeing all of the sights; getting to know James, who is personable, intelligent, and eager to exchange ideas; our substantial lunch included with the tour, which contained a sandwich, slice of quiche, crispy snacks, two kinds of fruit, a chocolate bar, and Welsh cakes, along with water.

Tips if you go: wear comfortable shoes and clothes that allow for climbing stairs, walking in potentially muddy areas, etc. Layer your jackets/overshirts - there is a lot of time in the vehicle but there is time outside, too.

Overall we thought our day out with James was one of the best days of our two-week holiday in England and Wales and we would certainly go out on tour with him again.

1  Thank ArizonaSunDevil99

It was a great day, and we had lovely weather. Thank you so much for the great review!

Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

Definitly a place to visit, with a nice view, nature, calm, resting. Would recommand hiking shoes.
Beautiful with snowfalls.

I think you review was meant for the Brecon Beacons National Park generally and not for my company. Perhaps you could delete this review?

Reviewed December 3, 2017

Really enjoyed my past two days of guided walks (All 3 Walk Behinds & Black Mountains) with James! He was very knowledgable about the area, and I learned so much more than I would have if I had come alone. He was great at recommending changes in the itinerary when the weather wasn't cooperating, and I am very pleased with all of the mountaintop views and (12!!!) waterfalls I got to see! What a great adventure I stumbled across! Thank you again!

Thanks Hannah for the review. We had a great two days even in the December weather, which shows that great tours can be had in the Brecon Beacons all year long.