“Business Trip to Cardiff”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Went on a business trip to cardiff. Luckily, got a business class room. The room was a decent size and had a double bed. It was on 17th floor so the view was magnificent. The hotel is very close to train station and malls/High street. The only problem was that I couldn't get sleep because there was some creepy noise coming through the Bathroom wall. Whenever, someone opened a tap in the neighboring toilet, it sounded like they're in my toilet. When the neighbors closed their door it seemed like a knock on my door. At one time, I had to get out of bed and check if someone did open the door. The hotel restaurant is italian cuisine and nothing that I could understand (:)). Strangely, the room service menu was different and much easier to decipher. Only thing is that they charge for room service.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review, I was delighted to read that you
enjoyed one of our Business Class rooms and enjoyed the spectacular
views. Glad too that you found our location close to the train station
and the shopping convenient. I was sorry to note your comments about
your disrupted sleep, this seems quite unusual and I if you can contact
me via email sally.hughes@radissonblu.com with your room number I will have
our engineering team investigate.

Glad that you found the room service menu to your liking, on your next
stay with us please ask our waiting staff for advice when ordering your
meal in our Filini restaurant.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The hotel itself I found to be wonderful, the Reception area was large and our bedroom was, as requested on a high floor with brilliant views. The hotel is literally across the road from one of the main shopping streets, and couldn't be in a more central location.

During our stay one of the lifts was under service for a short time - up until then we encountered no problems of waiting for the lift, however when there is only 1 we did notice a bit of wait! Not a problem though, but something worth noting if you have a lot of luggage.

Regarding parking we have found a NCP car park literally 100metres down the road (turning left at the Motorpoint rather than right for the Radisson). This car park is only £5 per 24 hours, much cheaper than the Hotel car park itself or the John Lewis across the way! It is fairly easy to navigate from the Hotel in a car back around to the car park, and so if you have a lot of luggage I would suggest pulling up outside the Hotel and letting one of your party out with your luggage!

We had a standard double room, with a huge bed but oddly square, hard pillows. Luckily we were staying for 3 nights and decided to take our own pillows. We had no problems with the air con/heating or anything else in the bedroom (small safe, fridge etc) - and the bathroom was a lovely large size, with no bad smells as often found in other hotels!

The only problems (issues) we did find was that on our second day, on arriving back at the Hotel at 2pm we noticed the room hadn't been serviced as well as the day before (the day before even the toilet roll had been neatly folded into a diamond shape, and the toothbrushes placed side by side!) - the cushions from the bed were still on the floor, and the bed had only been half tucked in with the bedside cabinet still pulled out. We didn't think much of it until a chambermaid knocked on the door to ask if the room had been serviced! We said the room had been done, as we're not particularly fussy!

We did have a problem with the room after, when two new arrivals entered the room, and were probably more embarrassed than ourselves about the situation! We reported to Reception to complain that the two had a card which apparently opened every door on our floor, to be told that was impossible! However once it was established the Receptionist did issue us with a new key and also a complimentary bottle of wine for the trouble. It was dealt with very professionally, however I do wonder how this had happened and also what would have happened had we not been in the room at the time, as we did have a lot of expensive things in the room (iPad etc).

Despite the cleaning/"intruders" we will be back, we were incredibly impressed with the room and the Hotel as a whole. For those worried about noise, I heard nothing apart from the door next door opening and closing, but no voices/TV anything!

Did not have breakfast so cannot comment.

We will be back!

Room Tip: We booked through booking.com - "best price online guarantee" - and requested a high floor...
3  Thank treacle17

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review, I really appreciate the
many positive comments you made regarding the hotel. In particular your
comments about the quietness of your room, the views and our location in
the centre of Cardiff really stand out. Thanks for your comments about
the lifts, we have a programme of regular maintenance in place to ensure
guest safety but I’m glad that your stay was not too disrupted by this.

I was of course disappointed to note your comments regarding the
housekeeping of your room, however it is possible that you interrupted
the team during the servicing of your room? Regarding the unexpected visitors
to your room, this is most unusual and I have investigated this thoroughly and found that there was an error with the card lock software which caused this. Please accept my apology on behalf of everyone here for the shock this must have caused you.

I am really pleased that you would choose to stay with us again and I
look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Great location, sleek stylish interior, certainly worth spending that little extra for a Business Class room as these rooms are on higher floors, far from the madding crowds of the busy Cardiff streets below. Sunday breakfast was a treat, plenty of choice including made to order. Top of my list for a return trip to Cardiff.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have dual aspect views of the city including the stadium.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I was really pleased to read your comments about our business class rooms and also our Super Breakfast buffet, thank you for highlighting the cooked to order options too.

I'm sure other travellers will find your review very helpful when selecting a Cardiff hotel. I look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to the city.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Look - overall this is a nice hotel - brilliantly situated in the centre of Cardiff ... it has everything you would expect a formulaic four star chain hotel to have ... however ...

There is an issue wih parking - not so much that you can't get in - it's that you have to turn in from one of the busiest streets in Cardiff and drive up their ramp BEFORE you get to the sign saying the car park is full! You then have to reverse down the ramp out into a busy street and cross two lanes (+one Bus only) lane to join the queue for the John Lewis car park ..,.however - one plus point is that I parked there from 3pm until 11am (overnight) and it only cost me £11!

The large bed was quite comfortable - but the pillows were very thin and uncomfortable.

Breakfast was good but not great ... despite the cooked food being in metal pots so hot you can burn your hands on them, the food itself was only lukewarm ... and the potatoes and black pudding had a very strange taste and texture. My wife did say that the unsliced granary bread was very nice!

And finally .... remember this is a very tall hotel (21 floors I think) ... and there are only two lifts servicing the whole building. While we were there - one of the lifts was broken ... after a long time waiting on floor 12 for a lift down - we eventually carried our luggage down all the 12 floors ... and found about 20 people crammed into the small lift lobby waiting for the lift. It's not the hotels fault if one of the lifts fails - but be warned ... a room on the 21st floor might have magnificent views ovr the city (our room looked out over the railway sidings so wasn't too good) - but if the lifts aren't working that's a lot of stairs!

We are regular visitors to Cardiff and I believe there are better quality and value hotels nearby

1  Thank LloydyG

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review, I was pleased to read your comments
about the hotel and our location in particular. I’m sorry that you did
not find the access to the car park easy to negotiate but I am pleased
that you found alternative parking in the nearby John Lewis car park. I
was disappointed to read your comments about breakfast, we take a lot of
pride in our Super Breakfast buffet and we regularly receive lots of
positive feedback from guests about this.

Thank you too for your feedback regarding the lifts, it is unusual for
one of our lifts not to be working as they are generally very reliable,
I do hope that you choose to stay with us again on one of your regular
trips to Cardiff and that we can provide you with an excellent guest
experience.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at the Radisson Blu on recommendation from a friend, and really gald we did. WE had gone down to watch Wales V Scotland rugby Sunday 12th Feb. We arrived early but were allowed to leave car in the car park (yes the spaces are snug) Check in was very quick, with all reception desks manned with very efficient polite staff. The room wasn't ready but they took our bags so we could go off to the match. That evening although the bar area was rowdy you couldn't hear anything in the rooms above. Breakfast was very good, and again well staffed, as they were very busy.
Would definately stay again.

Ww

Room Tip: Ask for a business class room, on one of the top floors. They are on the corner and have fab views.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I was really pleased to read that you chose to stay with us after we were recommended. And I was delighted to read your comments about your stay.

Glad that you made use of our car parking and that you enjoyed the bar but were not interrupted by any excess noise.

Really pleased that you made use of us to store your bags ahead of checking in to your room, this is a service we provide to every guest who arrives early.

Glad that you would definitely stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Spent a night at the Radisson on business.

This is becoming a favourite of mine when in Cardiff. Staff are always unfailingly pleasant and anxious to go the extra mile to make your stay comfortable.

Bedrooms are clean and well-kept. The bathrooms are of a very high standard.

Breakfast is excellent.

Recommended highly for the business traveller.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your recent review, It's always pleasing to get feedback from regular travellers and I was especially pleased to read your comments about the helpfulness of the staff.

And I'm sure other travellers will appreciate your comments about the rooms and bathrooms, I look forward to welcoming you when you next stay with us.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I got a really good deal on the hotel for the business room. As soon as we arrived, the staff were really helpful. We were early and they were happy to check us in.

We were right near the central part of Cardiff. Everything was walking distance, so we spent no money on transport. The hotel helped us on what to do, esp on New years eve, where they sent us to Tiger tiger.

The hotel it self helped as we decided to stay in a couple of days and they sent someone round to see if we wanted anything to eat.